Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2355940)   #2251
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About 7 years ago I was in O'Briens factory at Wetherill Park and saw a Sierra in Caltex colours there covered in dust. I was told it was the last of the Bond Sierras, and started Bathurst and only did 3 racing laps before the oil pump let go ending the car's race. After Bathurst that year Bond lost the Caltex deal and the cars were sold. The car was sold for $65K IIRC. Where is it now?
Old 16 Dec 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2355956)   #2252
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
bent65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be correct as the O'Briens acquired both cars at the end of Group A. They modified one car (in the panel shop photos) into a sports sedan with v6 motor etc. and put the "new" car under wraps. This "new" car would be in great condition however has little history as it only completed a couple of laps. The story I heard was pretty much the same. Colin's second car as is implied in the photos is going to be restored back to group A I believe.

All up there were 4 sierras painted in Caltex Livery. The first car ( Ex-OXO) is being lightly restored as it has been sitting in Group A spec since '89. The second car is being restored back to Group A from being campaigned as a sports sedan. The third (Ken Mathews) car is now back in B&H livery and sitting in the Bathurst Museum and the fourth I dont know its whereabouts. I would like to find it to know its condition.

The Mathews car was advertised in RCN in about '90 from memory for around 100k. Not bad for a Bathurst winner.
Old 16 Dec 2008, 18:26 (Ref:2356300)   #2253
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bond kept the Caltex sponsorship for 93 and ran 2 Toyota Corolla Secas for himself and John Smith.

There were a few Sierras which only ran a few races, the B&H team built a new Sierra for the 90 enduros only for it to be sold to Brian Bolwell who I think only raced it at Bathurst in 91. The car Ross Stone built for Andrew Miedecke to replace the Lakeside victim must have also only raced a handful of times before the team closed at the end of 89.

As well as Allan Moffat's # 10 Sierra which only raced 5 times, Bathurst 89 - 92 and I think once at Mt Fuji in 90.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 10:10 (Ref:2356688)   #2254
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ron O'Brien wanted $60K for the Caltex car when I saw it, should have bought it in hindsight. The trouble with running them as historic cars is the budget you'd need to keep them running, just ask Bob Tweedie and he's got lots of the stuff, just ask him.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2357634)   #2255
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901
Bond kept the Caltex sponsorship for 93 and ran 2 Toyota Corolla Secas for himself and John Smith.

There were a few Sierras which only ran a few races, the B&H team built a new Sierra for the 90 enduros only for it to be sold to Brian Bolwell who I think only raced it at Bathurst in 91. The car Ross Stone built for Andrew Miedecke to replace the Lakeside victim must have also only raced a handful of times before the team closed at the end of 89.

As well as Allan Moffat's # 10 Sierra which only raced 5 times, Bathurst 89 - 92 and I think once at Mt Fuji in 90.
The Miedecke Sierra continued racing 1990 in Mobil colours until Miedecke rolled it at Mallala.

Bolwell bought two Wolf-kit Sierras from Longhurst, one of them did a few ATCC rounds as well as Bathurst.
Old 18 Dec 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2357700)   #2256
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
The Miedecke Sierra continued racing 1990 in Mobil colours until Miedecke rolled it at Mallala.

Bolwell bought two Wolf-kit Sierras from Longhurst, one of them did a few ATCC rounds as well as Bathurst.
One of the Bolwell cars was definitely the RS500 built by Longhurst's team for the 1990 enduros. The car did just 4 meetings in B&H colours, debuting at that year's final AMSCAR round, doing Bathurst, the AGP supports, and the Nissan 500 at Eastern Creek. The other car sold to Bolwell was ex-Wolf, as was the car that went to Bryan Sala. Bolwell raced the car at the first Lakeside ATCC round of 1991, at Bathurst, maybe in the NZ Nissan-Mobil series, then in the Thundersports support races for Gold Coast Indy in 1992 and 1993.

Are you sure that that was hot the Miedecke car was used by the Mobil team? As far as I know, Miedecke's early-season car was the ex-Kaliber Rouse car that Brock used in the 1989 ATCC, whilst I thought that Tony Noske's car (the car that Miedecke used at Mallala) was the repaired/re-shelled Brad Jones car from the 1989 ATCC.

I'm pretty sure that an issue of Racing Car News says that the Mobil team did eventually buy Miedecke's Sierra, but this would have been after the Phillip Island round at the earliest, and Noske had been running his Sierra since the Symmons round.

Last edited by William Dale Jr; 18 Dec 2008 at 14:15.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 03:36 (Ref:2358036)   #2257
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Dale Jr
Are you sure that that was hot the Miedecke car was used by the Mobil team? As far as I know, Miedecke's early-season car was the ex-Kaliber Rouse car that Brock used in the 1989 ATCC, whilst I thought that Tony Noske's car (the car that Miedecke used at Mallala) was the repaired/re-shelled Brad Jones car from the 1989 ATCC.

I'm pretty sure that an issue of Racing Car News says that the Mobil team did eventually buy Miedecke's Sierra, but this would have been after the Phillip Island round at the earliest, and Noske had been running his Sierra since the Symmons round.
Not completely sure, no, but I did know that Miedecke's car was acquired by the team formerly known as the Holden Dealer Team. As they ran three cars at Phillip Island I would have thought one of them was the Miedecke car, and assumed that Miedecke might have wanted to continue in his own car if the option presented on the basis of familiarity. Pretty sure Phillip Island was the only event all year they ran three cars. As for tracing the various chassis I suggest your research is better than mine in this area.
Old 19 Dec 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2358526)   #2258
kiwi butt
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Papatoetoe
kiwi butt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are all the former Team Kiwi cars? Museum pieces for debtors unpaid, or scrap like the '05 VZ?
Old 20 Dec 2008, 10:41 (Ref:2358751)   #2259
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
One of the Bolwell cars was definitely the RS500 built by Longhurst's team for the 1990 enduros. The car did just 4 meetings in B&H colours, debuting at that year's final AMSCAR round, doing Bathurst, the AGP supports, and the Nissan 500 at Eastern Creek. The other car sold to Bolwell was ex-Wolf, as was the car that went to Bryan Sala. Bolwell raced the car at the first Lakeside ATCC round of 1991, at Bathurst, maybe in the NZ Nissan-Mobil series, then in the Thundersports support races for Gold Coast Indy in 1992 and 1993.

Hey guys. spoke to Brian Sala not long ago , he bought his car from Bolwell. It was the Jones B&H car and this is obvious from the offset air jack connecting point. Brian still has the car and he debuted in it when he was just 17!!

Would like to find the article of Mobil buying Miedecke's car. Do you have issues Around this time WDJr? Also you mentioned ages ago you may have a photo of brock unloading the rouse car off a plane? The '89 Mobil cars were distincly different as one was blue caged and one silver/ally. One had motorsport front guards with extinguisher and air jack points and the other early guards and front airjack point. Brock drove both. Have we confirmed that the mobil team (Advantage Racing) built a car? Also it appears Miedecke DNS the two ATCC rounds after Mallala, does anyone know what events eg. AGP, Nissan NZ he may have run in after.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 12:01 (Ref:2358784)   #2260
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bent65
Hey guys. spoke to Brian Sala not long ago , he bought his car from Bolwell. It was the Jones B&H car and this is obvious from the offset air jack connecting point. Brian still has the car and he debuted in it when he was just 17!!
That's quite interesting. I guess this means that Bolwell bought three of the B&H Sierras, as he had the Longhurst-built car and a Wolf-built car (complete with offset air jack) present as cars 43 and 44 respectively at Bathurst in 1991, whilst Sala therefore bought the other Wolf-built car from Bolwell in time for the Sandown 500.

Quote:
Would like to find the article of Mobil buying Miedecke's car. Do you have issues Around this time WDJr?
As it happens, I do!
Quote:
Originally Appears in Racing Car News, May 1990, p.9

Sierra sales soar

With a four-week layoff after Winton, bored touring car operators have been on a spending spree, buying and selling Sierras like there was no tomorrow.

Andrew Miedecke has finally sold his Yokohama Sierra after a full rebuild by the Brock team to none other than Peter Brock's Mobil 1 Racing Team. With details sketchy at the time of going to print, it appears Brock wants to use the car, which many rate as one of the fastest in the world, as a show car.

Ken Mathews has also sold his 1988 Bathurst-winning Sierra to Sports Sedan stalwart Bryan Thomson, who was showing a lot of interest in the car at Phillip Island. Thomson has been out of racing since selling his Supra sports sedan to Des Wall at the end of last year.

Other moves on the Sierra front include Kevin Waldock's purchase of Andrew Bagnall's TV3 Sierra, and Tony Noske's back into the Mobil 1 Team as a spare car. Noske taking a sabbatical while he helps out the troubled team on the management side.

It is also rumoured that speedway star Garry Rush has managed to lay his hands on an Eggenberger Sierra similar to Allan Moffat's for the enduros later in the year.
This article suggests that the Noske and 1989 Miedecke Sierras were two different cars, and also implies that Noske's was an ex-Mobil team car. Oh for copies of the Auto Actions that might confirm these things...

Quote:
Also you mentioned ages ago you may have a photo of brock unloading the rouse car off a plane? The '89 Mobil cars were distincly different as one was blue caged and one silver/ally. One had motorsport front guards with extinguisher and air jack points and the other early guards and front airjack point. Brock drove both. Have we confirmed that the mobil team (Advantage Racing) built a car? Also it appears Miedecke DNS the two ATCC rounds after Mallala, does anyone know what events eg. AGP, Nissan NZ he may have run in after.
I'll have a look for that copy of Auto Action tomorrow and scan the article with the unloading picture.

The original two Rouse-built Sierras both had silver cages (the ex-Kaliber car with an otherwise blue interior, whilst the ex-ICS car had an otherwise silver interior). The Mobil team definitely built their own car - this is the one that had a blue cage and interior - debuted at the 1989 Sandown 500. The silver cage/interiored car was written off at Winton in 1989 by Barry Sheene, and may have been re-built/re-shelled to become the Noske car. The blue interior/silver cage car was used by Brock through 1989 up until the Pepsi 300 at Oran Park; used as Brad Jones' #105 at the Sandown 500, Bathurst, AGP support races, and at Nissan Mobil races in New Zealand; used as Andrew Miedecke's #6 in the 1990 ATCC from Amaroo through Lakeside rounds, before being rebuilt (from which point on it had a blue interior and cage) and used as #6 for Sandown, Bathurst, and likely Eastern Creek and New Zealand.

After rolling the ex-Noske car at Mallala, Miedecke drove at Sandown, Bathurst, Eastern Creek (suffering from an ear infection), and at the two New Zealand rounds.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 22:58 (Ref:2359054)   #2261
kiwi butt
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
Papatoetoe
kiwi butt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the fleet of 3 Mobil Sierras was offered in 1991 as a whole going concern for $220,000 Aussie Pesos.

Willie Dale, if you go looking for that ad, could you scan it and put it up.

Please
Old 20 Dec 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2359060)   #2262
adz_34
Racer

Australia
Somewhere out there
adz_34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thats awesome bent65. Does Brian still get out and run the car in any races?
Old 21 Dec 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2359080)   #2263
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

From our friends at wheelsmag....
Old 21 Dec 2008, 05:12 (Ref:2359107)   #2264
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
As it happens, I do!This article suggests that the Noske and 1989 Miedecke Sierras were two different cars, and also implies that Noske's was an ex-Mobil team car. Oh for copies of the Auto Actions that might confirm these things...

I'll have a look for that copy of Auto Action tomorrow and scan the article with the unloading picture.

The original two Rouse-built Sierras both had silver cages (the ex-Kaliber car with an otherwise blue interior, whilst the ex-ICS car had an otherwise silver interior). The Mobil team definitely built their own car - this is the one that had a blue cage and interior - debuted at the 1989 Sandown 500. The silver cage/interiored car was written off at Winton in 1989 by Barry Sheene, and may have been re-built/re-shelled to become the Noske car. The blue interior/silver cage car was used by Brock through 1989 up until the Pepsi 300 at Oran Park; used as Brad Jones' #105 at the Sandown 500, Bathurst, AGP support races, and at Nissan Mobil races in New Zealand; used as Andrew Miedecke's #6 in the 1990 ATCC from Amaroo through Lakeside rounds, before being rebuilt (from which point on it had a blue interior and cage) and used as #6 for Sandown, Bathurst, and likely Eastern Creek and New Zealand.

After rolling the ex-Noske car at Mallala, Miedecke drove at Sandown, Bathurst, Eastern Creek (suffering from an ear infection), and at the two New Zealand rounds.

Note the dark blue rollcage & interior, which I thought meant it had either been built or updated at Dencar
Old 21 Dec 2008, 05:28 (Ref:2359110)   #2265
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Another of the Wolf cars enjoyed success for Mr Petch and his Whittaker's Peanut Slab backed equipe....

Take a squiz at the codriver....

.... aboard a Ford
Old 21 Dec 2008, 06:00 (Ref:2359127)   #2266
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
The original two Rouse-built Sierras both had silver cages (the ex-Kaliber car with an otherwise blue interior, whilst the ex-ICS car had an otherwise silver interior).
So.. was this car..

.. one of the ones brought back by Advantage for PB to drive?
Old 21 Dec 2008, 07:42 (Ref:2359145)   #2267
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone know what happened to the Mark Trenowith XJS ??
Old 21 Dec 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2359147)   #2268
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto
the 1st sports sedan?
he still has it.
the 2nd car is owned by Roddy.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2359186)   #2269
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When did the original-McCormack Jag last run competitively, Surfers 1994??

GTR - The Bathurst 1987 ANZ Sierra has been touched on before, from memory it ran in Portugal in 1988, perhaps in Marlboro colours? Didn't become a Brock car though.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2359439)   #2270
Nivola
Racer

Nivola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least two of the brock cossies came to WA for mike steele.

The cossie where quick!

Then he bought and escort from Europe.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2359500)   #2271
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowgto
He still owns it and in August used it to win the first ever Historic Sports Sedan race.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 06:19 (Ref:2359532)   #2272
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by adz_34
Thats awesome bent65. Does Brian still get out and run the car in any races?
He has plans to tidy it up and bring it out again to race. He has a couple of other projects on the go. Imagine stepping into a sorted sierra at 17 for a tilt at the Hill!
Old 22 Dec 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2359546)   #2273
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
That's quite interesting. I guess this means that Bolwell bought three of the B&H Sierras, as he had the Longhurst-built car and a Wolf-built car (complete with offset air jack) present as cars 43 and 44 respectively at Bathurst in 1991, whilst Sala therefore bought the other Wolf-built car from Bolwell in time for the Sandown 500.

As it happens, I do!This article suggests that the Noske and 1989 Miedecke Sierras were two different cars, and also implies that Noske's was an ex-Mobil team car. Oh for copies of the Auto Actions that might confirm these things...

As always WDJr you are spot on. My bad-I meant that there was a blue cage car and Brock drove both the silver and blue. Thanks for that. It would appear that the Mobil built (3rd to appear) car did not have motorsport guards and therefore have the airjack at the front as it was in this configuration with a blue roll cage.

Didnt think to ask him but Bolwell was cross entered in the Sala car in '92 and "Bryan Bolwell Racing" was the entrant for two sierras in '90 as well as Sala entered in his own name ( 3 cars in 90). It could be he raced it while Bolwell owned it? He definitely said it was the Jones' car and the air jack would inicate this. When the car was Tyrepower/Sala it was offset air jack. Does anyone know which left hooker was sitting in the B&H garage at Bathurst '88?

I have watched the Phillip Island '90 telecast and there is no mention of 3 Mobil cars only Brock and Miedecke. Can anyone confirm? In what livery did Noske race his/a sierra? I can only find him running in a Peter Jackson car with Seton and Goss possibly Sandown one year.

I am lost with the Noske car. What events did he run and in what team?

Can you confirm that Miedecke rolled the Noske car at Mallalla. I have a great photo as the dust was settling and the car has a white interior, I havent been able to find it at other events and its not Miedeckes car.

The 2 Mobil cars in collections have blue interiors and roll cages. The one in the UK was bought unrestored from NZ. I wonder if the repaired (Sheene) silver caged car is one of these? Does anyone know if Mike Steele has the other car? Do we know if the silver cages are alloy or painted steel ? Someone should know if Rouse built his '88 cars with alloy. Some of the footage and photos look pretty certain to be alloy.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2359551)   #2274
bent65
Rookie

Australia
Central Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

Note the dark blue rollcage & interior, which I thought meant it had either been built or updated at Dencar
This is a shot from ATCC but do you know what year? WDJr may be able to answer this but is it possible that this car is either the repaired Sheene shunt car or the first (Advantage Racing) Mobil built car? If their own built car did not appear till Sandown '89 then this should be from (pre DJR wheel) 1990? I would think this is their own built car by the non- motorsport guards and the centre airjack but its possible the Sheene repair required a new front. Does anyone have details/photo of the Sheene damage?
Old 22 Dec 2008, 07:55 (Ref:2359553)   #2275
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Does anyone know which left hooker was sitting in the B&H garage at Bathurst '88?
Brand new Frank Gardner built LHD chassis, from a Rouse kit, but suitably "Frank-ed". Run in 1989 with Mr Longhurst as #25.

Mr Crichton stepped into one of the ex-Wolf chassis as #20, which was updated with most of the stuff from the #25 RHD Bathurst winner... as most of the Wolf running gear seemed to have ended up with Mr Mathews when he bought the '88 winner...

There was an ad on Truckhub a while ago offering for sale the DAF B&H prime mover that Mr Crichton brought to the B&H team as part of the deal to drive all the way back then....