Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Feb 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3802136)   #2351
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Which confirms that there is a replacement planned for Mat during testing (perhaps Tordoff or Chilton can't make the testing). But doesn't explicitly state that they will have a 3-car entry into the championship.
I think you need to read that again. It's says that 1) they will start testing soon, and 2) will announce Jackson's replacement soon. That two separate things. It does not say that Jackson's replacement will be for testing only.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3802137)   #2352
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
A lot of noise about MJ being dropped due to Honda interest. I really would be worried about Barty if that was the case, I really doubt though that he would lower himself to that. But I do like the sound of Butcher being at Motorbase, he deserves a full season
Old 18 Feb 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3802138)   #2353
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I think you need to read that again. It's says that 1) they will start testing soon, and 2) will announce Jackson's replacement soon. That two separate things. It does not say that Jackson's replacement will be for testing only.
'We have a fantastic line-up with WTCC Indy Champion Tom Chilton and returning BTCC star Sam Tordoff piloting our new Focus RS. Our pre-season test programme starts very soon and we will announce Mat's replacement in due course.'

I have read it a few times, and other things published by Motorbase, and it tells me the following:

1) Their line up is Chilton and Tordoff, 2) they will be testing soon, and 3) Jackson will be replaced for testing.

Agree that it does not say that Jackson's replacement will be for testing only. But it also does not say that Jackson's replacement will be entered into championship. It also doesn't say that another driver will be added to their fantastic line up.

In the order that Bartrum made his statement, he confirmed the two drivers in the championship, then that they will be testing soon, then that Jackson will be replaced. If Jackson's replacement will be in the championship, I would have though that he would have mentioned that before turning to testing?
Old 18 Feb 2018, 11:36 (Ref:3802140)   #2354
lukej
Rookie

lukej should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Which confirms that there is a replacement planned for Mat during testing (perhaps Tordoff or Chilton can't make the testing). But doesn't explicitly state that they will have a 3-car entry into the championship.

I'm not saying that they won't be running three cars, but their initial plans were for a 2-car entry and nothing has confirmed a change in this plan.
I don’t think you’re reading the release as written, but more in a way that fits your clearly incorrect theories. For clarity, there are 3 race cars and a spare shell.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 11:40 (Ref:3802142)   #2355
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I'm not saying that they won't be running three cars, but their initial plans were for a 2-car entry and nothing has confirmed a change in this plan.
Jackson was down to race, why would his replacement be for testing only?? On your theory Tordoff has already been announced as a replacement.
They probably wouldnt even make an announcement about giving driver x a run on a test day if it wasnt with any intention to take them forward to race

Last edited by btccbloke; 18 Feb 2018 at 11:46.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 11:54 (Ref:3802144)   #2356
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Agree that it does not say that Jackson's replacement will be for testing only. But it also does not say that Jackson's replacement will be entered into championship. It also doesn't say that another driver will be added to their fantastic line up.
So you DON'T believe that Motorbase will run 3 cars because they haven't explicitly said so, but you DO believe Jackson's replacement will be for testing only despite also not explicitly being said.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:03 (Ref:3802146)   #2357
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
I don’t think you’re reading the release as written, but more in a way that fits your clearly incorrect theories. For clarity, there are 3 race cars and a spare shell.
This is the Rumours and Silly Season thread. Not reading them in a way to fit my theories - more that I am reading them to see if a theory could be extrapolated.

3 race cars and a spare shell doesn't automatically mean 3 entries on the grid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Jackson was down to race, why would his replacement be for testing only?? On your theory Tordoff has already been announced as a replacement.
They probably wouldnt even make an announcement about giving driver x a run on a test day if it wasnt with any intention to take them forward to race
As you say - it's a theory based on not much other than reading the official statements to see if something could be extrapolated (no matter how far off the mark it may be).

From the removal of the DUO logos, it suggest the decision to release Jackson had already been made prior to the announcement of Tordoff.

Looking at it from a JCT600 / GardX point of view, or even the Chilton / Gallagher perspective:

Others on the forum have suggest that TC or ST may be behind the ousting of Jackson. This may not be true, but the fact people think that way would not come across well in public statements.
The Jordan departure from Motorbase (it has been suggested) was not as amicable as publicly declared.

So, Bartrum will be doing his utmost to keep the public statements positive. Therefore, IF Tordoff and Chilton completes the line up, he'll still mention a replacement for Jackson to deflect any negative comments regarding the timing of his departure and Tordoff's arrival.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3802147)   #2358
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorbase are running 3 cars this year and that's a fact, chilton, tordoff and a tbc since jackson has sacked/left or however anyone wants to read it
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3802148)   #2359
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, their plan was and still is to run 3 cars.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:11 (Ref:3802150)   #2360
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@ikoplc a Motorbase sponsor tweeted that they were looking forward to the new season lead by Jackson. This was a few hours before the announcement of MJ leaving.

If MJ departing was planned in advance then team sponsors would of been told about the change in driver lineup, as this could involve a major change to their marketing strategy.

I think this suggests a war of words between 2 parties and not the outside influences of a driver/sponsor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:16 (Ref:3802151)   #2361
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
@ikoplc a Motorbase sponsor tweeted that they were looking forward to the new season lead by Jackson. This was a few hours before the announcement of MJ leaving.

If MJ departing was planned in advance then team sponsors would of been told about the change in driver lineup, as this could involve a major change to their marketing strategy.

I think this suggests a war of words between 2 parties and not the outside influences of a driver/sponsor.

Jackson had been missing off the motorbase tweets looking ahead to the 2018 season since the start of Feb, the decision was made long ago
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3802153)   #2362
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
So you DON'T believe that Motorbase will run 3 cars because they haven't explicitly said so, but you DO believe Jackson's replacement will be for testing only despite also not explicitly being said.
No - I don't believe either a 3-car entry, or that Jackson's replacement is a test-only driver.
Having not been explicitly told either way, just speculating on the possibilities of either (or netiher) situation being true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
No, their plan was and still is to run 3 cars.
Except that's not what Bartrum said previously. At ASI, their plan was to run two cars, Chilton and Jackson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Press release and Bartrums launch presentation both mentioned that they are brand new shells with lots of work done mechanically. He also says there are only two cars and just one more driver to announce.
If their plan was always to run three cars, why say this in their official release:

'Buoyed by a switch to the new Ford Focus RS machinery for the season ahead, the Kent-based outfit is targeting championship title success with a rejuvenated two-car effort and formidable new driver line-up'

There seems to be some very stern reaction to what is just casual speculation based on what has been published. Hopefully Motorbase will confirm their final, final, final line-up soon......
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:20 (Ref:3802154)   #2363
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Jackson had been missing off the motorbase tweets looking ahead to the 2018 season since the start of Feb, the decision was made long ago
Regardless of which they still have 3 TBL'S.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:21 (Ref:3802155)   #2364
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
So what it motorbase now try to take from another team with a contracted driver.... Just an idea
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3802156)   #2365
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Did I say they didn't? I'm saying the decision about Jackson had been hidden in plain sight a while
Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:28 (Ref:3802157)   #2366
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I believe Tordoff has bought/loaned from another team the TBL that he is using for 2018.

I think Motorbase have 2 TBL’s so they would have to replace MJ or risk losing a TBL which would mean if Tordoff left and took his TBL then Motorbase would only have a single entry.

Old 18 Feb 2018, 12:54 (Ref:3802159)   #2367
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It does seem some people of cherry pick quotes to make their rumors seem plausible, when the press realease about a 2 car effort it was about team shredded wheat, so they weren't lying it is a 2 car championship challenge, the tordoff deal is a single car championship challenge so it would have its own press release, which from what I see motorbase have done
Old 18 Feb 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3802161)   #2368
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
It does seem some people of cherry pick quotes to make their rumors seem plausible, when the press realease about a 2 car effort it was about team shredded wheat, so they weren't lying it is a 2 car championship challenge, the tordoff deal is a single car championship challenge so it would have its own press release, which from what I see motorbase have done
Also the press release was from the beginning of ASI, Tordoff’s deal wasn’t signed until the Sunday after the show, it was rumoured at ASI, but Bartrum & Motorbase weren’t going to include the negotiations in a press release were they. Especially as Tordoff is bringing the TBL (loaned or purchased) to enable them to run him, Motorbase would of look very silly if the deal had not been done!

Mind you with the whole Jackson saga, they aren’t covering themselves in glory at present.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3802162)   #2369
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
Also if you read the Mountune release for ASI, it states that Motorbase had prepared two cars for the show, an odd and pointless statement to make unless there was plans to race 3 cars
Old 18 Feb 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3802165)   #2370
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I believe Tordoff has bought/loaned from another team the TBL that he is using for 2018.
tordoff wouldn’t have the TBL. they are only allowed to by held by teams, not drivers looking for teams!

their 3rd TBL is owned by motorbase. they got it from bmr.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 13:29 (Ref:3802166)   #2371
mark_l
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
tordoff wouldn’t have the TBL. they are only allowed to by held by teams, not drivers looking for teams!

their 3rd TBL is owned by motorbase. they got it from bmr.
Tordoff is Team GardX, just like Moffat is Laser Tools Racing.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3802167)   #2372
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
that’s the name of his sponsor. tordoff doesn’t own an actual team so won’t hold a TBL.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3802168)   #2373
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Exactly the same as Laser Tools. Maybe JCT600 has bought one, or maybe the team. You don’t know at this stage.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3802169)   #2374
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
that’s the name of his sponsor. tordoff doesn’t own an actual team so won’t hold a TBL.
In this case the sponsor get to name the team. Like Jordan at WSR.

WSR fielded three cars last year. Two under Team BMW for Turks and Collard. One under BMW Pirtek Racing for Jordan.

It's business, nothing more.
Old 18 Feb 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3802170)   #2375
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Mark is 100% correct here: Team GardX is a new team formed by the Tordoff business empire. Exactly like the the Moffats setup. It owns a TBL which is strongly rumoured as having been bought from BMR. The car will be run by Motorbase alongside their TWO Team Shredded Wheat cars.

We're simply waiting on a driver announcement for third car, that is the sole missing piece of this particular jigsaw.