Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Apr 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2858751)   #2376
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From AMR Twitter.

Quote:
AMR have stayed on at Paul Ricard and will start a two day test tomorrow.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 19:00 (Ref:2858758)   #2377
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
From AMR Twitter.
That was suggested in the German MotorsTV comentary during the race as well. Hinted by Peter Mücke, father to AMR's driver Stefan
Old 4 Apr 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2858764)   #2378
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
The whole thing reminds me of the Nimrod Astons. Also marred by terrible engine designs.
I go along with isynge here. Why are three big names in the business like Aston,Prodrive and Cosworth entering the sportscar scene in such an amateuristic manner? If a team is going for a two year Le Mans campaign,at least start developing your finished car on the tracks before the first of the two years. That way,your car will at least win some credibillity and it can be tuned to the other contenders.

I mean,this is not rocketscience or something. It's been done this way succesfully for many years.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 19:08 (Ref:2858767)   #2379
Lola T70
Racer

Lola T70 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
The whole programme is funded by pre-sales of the chassis to collectors, and the value of a car like that is in the racing provenance - obviously success boosts value but linked to that is the portfolio of races they enter. In any case, I'd be enormously surprised to see them consistently slower than an LMP2 let alone a GT come June.
I would have thought a car value is worth significantly more if it has a competitive history and not just entered.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2858789)   #2380
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola T70 View Post
I would have thought a car value is worth significantly more if it has a competitive history and not just entered.
As was stated in the quote you were responding to. Worth more starting at LM than not, worth more again if it actually is a competitive proposition and LM and gets a result.

Either way they are massively behind the 8 ball here. They need to get the engine up to scratch in order to make any sort of a start at the rest of the car...
Old 4 Apr 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2858793)   #2381
Lola T70
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
As was stated in the quote you were responding to. Worth more starting at LM than not, worth more again if it actually is a competitive proposition and LM and gets a result.

Either way they are massively behind the 8 ball here. They need to get the engine up to scratch in order to make any sort of a start at the rest of the car...
Point was, if I had my name down on one as a collectors item I would be looking long and hard looking at my investment.
Old 4 Apr 2011, 20:43 (Ref:2858829)   #2382
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Point was, if I had my name down on one as a collectors item I would be looking long and hard looking at my investment.
Apparently there was a bit of a bidding war going on for the sixth chassis, early days, but I wonder if this still will be the case?
Old 4 Apr 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2858833)   #2383
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"you take it"
"no no, after you"
Old 4 Apr 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2858849)   #2384
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
"you take it"
"no no, after you"
Old 4 Apr 2011, 21:54 (Ref:2858865)   #2385
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine just how bad it would look if it wasn't dressed in Gulf colours ?

I wasn't sure on the sound of the engine note due to the sound quality of the coverage, I just had the impression that it was about to go bang at any moment !
Old 4 Apr 2011, 22:42 (Ref:2858879)   #2386
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The engine is completely new. Give them some time to sort out their issues.
It's easy to say that, but in reality, they don't have any time. The Le Mans test day is just a few weeks away and they've only completed a handful of laps. I really have no hope for this program in 2011 at this point.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 04:52 (Ref:2858938)   #2387
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Exactly, it really is critical that they have the thing working properly at the end of the month for test day or they're in for a world of hurt. I know which outcome I'm laying my bet on...
Old 5 Apr 2011, 08:11 (Ref:2858980)   #2388
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm surprised the engine seems so bad. I can't remember a manufacturer project with such a bad engine from the start. The smoking that turned the powder blue rear right bodywork into powder beige should have been solved on the dynamometer and should never have been visible for the car's third on-track test/first race/more than a month after it was introduced - spin it any way you want. The only manufacturer engines I can remember that were that troublesome were the Nissan V8 from '99, the Chrysler Mopar in the 2001 Dallara and the AER-MG from 2001. Neither of them looked that bad on the track before their first race, but reliability compromised the amount of running they could give to their respective new chassis... and of course all these cars were out well before the end of the 24 hours because of engine failures. I thought Prodrive knew better.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2859006)   #2389
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to the Aston Martin racing site the car is doing better than expected so far. As has been said, its very early stages for the car and it would be foolish to jump to conclusions regarding the cars apparant lack of pace so far. IMO. Here is the article im reffering to if anyone wants to have a read. http://www.astonmartinracing.com/new...4-04a19108266f
Old 5 Apr 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2859005)   #2390
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 5 Apr 2011 at 09:09. Reason: Double post
Old 5 Apr 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2859017)   #2391
Lola T70
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R View Post
According to the Aston Martin racing site the car is doing better than expected so far. As has been said, its very early stages for the car and it would be foolish to jump to conclusions regarding the cars apparant lack of pace so far. IMO. Here is the article im reffering to if anyone wants to have a read. http://www.astonmartinracing.com/new...4-04a19108266f
If that was better than expected I would hate to see worse

That article is their press release from the race, I will be more interested in the one from the test they are doing now, does anyone have any news?
Old 5 Apr 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2859047)   #2392
BRG
Rookie

England
Gloucestershire
BRG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thimk the AMR-ONE will still be right up there with the quickest Petrol engined car by the end of the test day, however if they could run the Lola Aston with the same restictor breaks that Muscle Milk have, then that could have been the quickest petrol car by a few seconds.
As for the look of the car, paint can hide a lot, look at this pict from DSC at the way the Pecom Racing Lola's fin is blended in.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/publis...A39CF/005.JPG?

I think the fin and front fenders should be pale blue

Last edited by BRG; 5 Apr 2011 at 10:30. Reason: added linc
Old 5 Apr 2011, 11:17 (Ref:2859077)   #2393
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
If that was better than expected I would hate to see worse

That article is their press release from the race, I will be more interested in the one from the test they are doing now, does anyone have any news?
If that was better than expected, then clearly their expectations are set very low...
Old 5 Apr 2011, 11:28 (Ref:2859083)   #2394
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Maybe they expected a huge engine blow down the Mistral straight
Old 5 Apr 2011, 13:58 (Ref:2859165)   #2395
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Just run the thing on low boost, to sort the chassis. Then apply more power.
This seems like the approach they've taken at Ricard. Especially considering the straight line speed figures that someone posted in one of these threads.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 14:16 (Ref:2859173)   #2396
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The talk about expectations is interesting because you have two sets involved.

You have the expectations that were set out when the programme was announced last year and we saw that mock-up image. With it came all the fighting talk and ultimatums to the ACO about equalising things between petrol and diesel. That clearly wasn't the talk of a team who didn't expect to be competitive.

Then, for whatever reason, the green light for the project came very late and they were a long way behind the 8-ball. That is why so many people (including me) are really disappointed by the programme and find it hard to buy into this new shift in PR.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2859236)   #2397
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't help but wonder if the no show from the Kronos Lola-Aston (and pull out from the Le mans reserve list it would seem) might have been due to a quiet word.

Not going to Sebring (where the car couldn't have been much worse) of course also allowed them not having to face the old car also

Sorry, my inner cynic gets a hold of me sometimes
Old 5 Apr 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2859245)   #2398
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GH-C said at the cars launch he didn't expect to be outside the ACO's 2% performance difference with regards to different engine technologies.

Granted Audi and Peugeot may have pushed the game on further but I'd be suprised if the Aston is not battling with HPD and Rebellion as the quickest petrol runner.

I'd be more worried if the car was further developed and still 2-3 seconds off the Ricard pace, as it was they were clearly running extremely conservatively and hadn't progressed much beyond the shake-down stage.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 22:11 (Ref:2859407)   #2399
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And none of the two GT2 Vantages finished again? This is getting worse the Jaguar's effort, at least they finished Sebring.
Old 5 Apr 2011, 22:14 (Ref:2859409)   #2400
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pederb View Post
And none of the two GT2 Vantages finished again? This is getting worse the Jaguar's effort, at least they finished Sebring.
One of the two took a big hit at the start and suffered throughout the race as a result - Hardly Aston's fault