Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Aug 2012, 15:04 (Ref:3121100)   #2376
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://fourtitude.com/news/motorspor...oss-durheimer/

http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/07/26/vw...ie-up-rumours/

Another Article where it would appear VW is not interested in F1, from the horse's mouth (or one of them). Not sure about Porsche or VW itself, but Monisha Kaltenborn has denied it (http://www.crash.net/f1/news/182706/...e_hike.htmlnow) Peter Sauber has denied it, VW doesn't seem as interested as they once were.

Quote:
The same website has recently linked Sauber to a possible Volkswagen involvement in F1, with the Swiss team apparently the German brand's second choice should a bid to run with McLaren founder on the clash between the groups' rival road-going sportscars. Although well-informed sources are quoted as stating that the chance of an agreement being struck between VW and Sauber are currently no greater than 30 per cent, talks are said to have taken place between team boss Peter Sauber and VW CEO Martin Winterkorn earlier this year, having been brokered by former Mercedes chief – and long-time friend of Sauber – Jurgen Hubbert.

That's all there is [to the rumours], there's no more to say about it," Kaltenborn insisted. "We are not in further talks. We have [always] made it clear that the financial aspect is very important for us," Kaltenborn continued, "We do not want to go back to the days when you had to pay so much more money for engines."

Any F1 fan can tell you a new VW (VW itself, Audi, Porsche, Even Lamborghini) to F1 rumour pops out about every other week, perhaps the German media should instead be focused on Mercedes'future in Formula 1 or the Future of the German Grand Prix.
Old 18 Aug 2012, 10:59 (Ref:3121321)   #2377
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Kinosh!ta's claims were sort of debunked in this thread earlier though.
That is the debate, is it not? Should it no be better to have a set of rules that do not allow such sort of debates?
Old 18 Aug 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3121362)   #2378
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
That is the debate, is it not? Should it no be better to have a set of rules that do not allow such sort of debates?
Not sure if I understood what you mean, but anyway:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=2275
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=2278
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=2280
Old 19 Aug 2012, 02:02 (Ref:3121607)   #2379
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm guessing he means the allowance of F1 engines in the coming years.
Old 20 Aug 2012, 20:04 (Ref:3122248)   #2380
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
So everyone should run the same displacement and number of cylinders and type of aspiration and type of valvetrain. Sounds like NASCAR and F1.
Old 20 Aug 2012, 20:15 (Ref:3122254)   #2381
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewymonster View Post
So everyone should run the same displacement and number of cylinders and type of aspiration and type of valvetrain. Sounds like NASCAR and F1.
Hey, we could even add DRS and get Pirelli with Paul Hemroid as the sole supplier to make the racing 'more exciting.'
Old 21 Aug 2012, 07:46 (Ref:3122421)   #2382
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Hey, we could even add DRS and get Pirelli with Paul Hemroid as the sole supplier to make the racing 'more exciting.'
DRS would work unless it's paired up with the "push to pass" feature that uses KERS and electric motors...
Old 21 Aug 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3122591)   #2383
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
LMPs do not have (at least not yet) such big problem following other cars aero-wise, which is the reason DRS was invented.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3122601)   #2384
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
LMPs do not have (at least not yet) such big problem following other cars aero-wise, which is the reason DRS was invented.
I don't think the aero is necessarily what makes the difference. I'd argue that LMPs are on a similar or higher level than DTM in that regard and DTM has/had huge issues with dirty air.

What really helps is multiclass racing, traffic is one hell of an overtaking device.
Same goes for Super GT in Japan - absolutely fantastic racing, but make it single class and it probably becomes as bad as DTM on a bad day. Also saw that when Grand Am had the DP-only borefests.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 17:36 (Ref:3122642)   #2385
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I don't think the aero is necessarily what makes the difference. I'd argue that LMPs are on a similar or higher level than DTM in that regard and DTM has/had huge issues with dirty air.
Well, also the fact that Le Mans is mostly large straights, where dirty air doesn't effect a cars ability to overtake as much, as overtaking through corners .
Old 15 Sep 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3136476)   #2386
repa
Rookie

Hungary
repa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys! I would have a question a little bit off topic: what was the idea behind the older regulations?
I know that LMP era have/had restrictors, boost pressure maximized, etc...
I've tried to search about elder regulations, but i've found nothing. So could someone give me a short summary about them? What was the main idea behind them? I'm mainly interested in the engine regs...

(I need it to a school project, so more to come... But not just questions!)
Old 15 Sep 2012, 19:13 (Ref:3136479)   #2387
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by repa View Post
Hi guys! I would have a question a little bit off topic: what was the idea behind the older regulations?
I've tried to search about elder regulations, but i've found nothing. So could someone give me a short summary about them? What was the main idea behind them? I'm mainly interested in the engine regs...

http://www.mulsannescorner.com has technical regs PDFs from every year since 2001 (end of the page, "chassis rules").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mans_Prototype#History gives a decent overview of past years, but no sources cited so be careful.

Last edited by deggis; 15 Sep 2012 at 19:19.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 19:14 (Ref:3136480)   #2388
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

You will find everything you need here, I believe. Bottom sections of the left hand column of the page.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/

L.P.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3136499)   #2389
repa
Rookie

Hungary
Thank you guys! You're very fast!
Of course i know mulsannecorner, and i knew that i can find lot of things there. I think i have not wrote my thoughts correctly, i'm not looking for the LMP era only. What i need is look like this:
1993-2014: LMP era, engine power limited by restrictors
1982-1993: Group C era: limited fuel usage
1975-1981: Gr.5, GTP, Sport categories, etc... limited fuel usage also, predecessors of group C (also no minimal production required from 1972)
1963-1974: Sport categories, and also prototypes, and GT-s. Sports needed 50 and later 25 road going examples, limited ccm.
1949-1962: sport and gt cars. All of them divided into classes by the engine's ccm. But could they do anything with the engine's? There was any reg about restrictors, or fuel usage? I guess no, but i don't know it exactly... Probably limited ccm. Or they were strictly road going engines? Or could they upgraded them a little?
Pre war: cars divided into classes by engine ccm. I think at that time all cars were road-going cars, there were no limitations on engines, but also no modifications allowed.

That's all i could get. But am i correct? I'm only sure in the LMP era, almost sure in Gr. C era, but everything before that is still a mess for me...
Old 15 Sep 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3136501)   #2390
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you guys! You're very fast!
Of course i know mulsannecorner, and i knew that i can find lot of things there. I think i have not wrote my thoughts correctly, i'm not looking for the LMP era only. What i need is look like this:
1993-2014: LMP era, engine power limited by restrictors
1982-1993: Group C era: limited fuel usage
1975-1981: Gr.5, GTP, Sport categories, etc... limited fuel usage also, predecessors of group C (also no minimal production required from 1972)
1963-1974: Sport categories, and also prototypes, and GT-s. Sports needed 50 and later 25 road going examples, limited ccm.
1949-1962: sport and gt cars. All of them divided into classes by the engine's ccm. But could they do anything with the engine's? There was any reg about restrictors, or fuel usage? I guess no, but i don't know it exactly... Probably limited ccm. Or they were strictly road going engines? Or could they upgraded them a little?
Pre war: cars divided into classes by engine ccm. I think at that time all cars were road-going cars, there were no limitations on engines, but also no modifications allowed.

That's all i could get. But am i correct? I'm only sure in the LMP era, almost sure in Gr. C era, but everything before that is still a mess for me...
Have you looked through the historic section for clues?

http://tentenths.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

L.P.
Old 15 Sep 2012, 20:13 (Ref:3136502)   #2391
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Yes, you were a bit confusing because you talked about "LMP" regulations.

Autosport nostalgia forum might also help: http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showforum=10
Old 15 Sep 2012, 20:30 (Ref:3136515)   #2392
repa
Rookie

Hungary
Okey, first look on ten-tenths historic part, and already found something! I knew that part, but they rather talk about one car, or one person in those topics, not general things. But probably, i could pose my question there...
Will search on autosport forum also.
Thanks for your help!
Old 23 Sep 2012, 08:32 (Ref:3140181)   #2393
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the ACO doesn't change the rules, we may get close to a 3:20 Le Mans pole time next year.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 09:08 (Ref:3140191)   #2394
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as the average is 3:30 the ACO won't care...
Old 23 Sep 2012, 09:14 (Ref:3140194)   #2395
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
As long as the average is 3:30 the ACO won't care...
With 2013 cars being a development of 2012 cars, if the pole time is a 3:20 then the race pace will be somewhere in the 3:23s, which is still insane. But then again, maybe they'll let them have that before the rules change for 2014.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:28 (Ref:3140246)   #2396
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
With 2013 cars being a development of 2012 cars, if the pole time is a 3:20 then the race pace will be somewhere in the 3:23s, which is still insane. But then again, maybe they'll let them have that before the rules change for 2014.
I´m sory but why is a 3:23 lap Insane!!!! I don´t understand.

For me, insane is the gap of top speed between LMP1 and GT cars.
The major accident´s in the pas two years where between LMP1 and GT cars.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3140248)   #2397
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post

Insane compared to the speeds the ACO want.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3140253)   #2398
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Insane compared to the speeds the ACO want.
The ACO...

Is hard for me understand why ACO want a goal in Lap time!!!

Fuel efficiency, ok but lap times for god sake... but that is just my opinion...
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3140263)   #2399
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

If you look at the old problem there existed between LMP2's and GT1's top speed, then I don't think it's insane in any way.
Quote:
The ACO...

Is hard for me understand why ACO want a goal in Lap time!!!

Fuel efficiency, ok but lap times for god sake... but that is just my opinion...
Setting a goal lap time is a good way of making sure the cars don't go uncontrollable fast.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3140290)   #2400
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
If you look at the old problem there existed between LMP2's and GT1's top speed, then I don't think it's insane in any way.

Setting a goal lap time is a good way of making sure the cars don't go uncontrollable fast.
You said right, "OLD problem", now the GT cars have different issues´s.

In 2012, Le Mans,we have the follow figure´s:

Slow GT Car (Corvete C6 ZR1) 286 km/h
Fastest GT Car (Ferrari 458) 300.2 Km/h

Slow LMP2 Car (Norma MP 2000) 296,9 km/h
Fastest LMP2 Car (Oreca 03 Nissan) 320.4 Km/h

Slow LMP1 Car (Pescarolo 03) 310,4 km/h
Fastest LMP1 Car (Toyota TS 03) 335.2 Km/h

I know the Norma is under developed but only 1 GT car was faster then all the LMP2 car´s (Ferrari AF corse - 300,2 km/h) and the LMP2 car´s are better handling in corners ( faster´s than GT car´s). This is not an issue like the old GT1 / LMP 2 "battle".

One question? Do you enjoy the 2009 Le Mans Race?

I loved it...