Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2013, 02:45 (Ref:3283119)   #2401
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And since they plant to reduce the power via air restrictors even more then the cars won't be going that fast. I don't really know much about the topic but I kind of just assumed FIA safety specifications were the be all, end all of racing. I guess I was really wrong. I didn't know Grand-Am required something beefier.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 03:06 (Ref:3283125)   #2402
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
CAges should be fine as is...Daytona has SAFER barriers all around.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 03:15 (Ref:3283126)   #2403
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
One would think! ALMS runs to ACO/FIA spec.....

L.P.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 03:49 (Ref:3283129)   #2404
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry if posted before, links to some vids of shake down's leo parente interviewing doug fehan and then scot elkins about uscr stuff.i thought both were good and both share good insight.i thought doug was going to go about corvette stuff but he makes good points i hadnt thought of like safety,tech inspection,and registration. i do like the thinking scot is doing and if hes thinking it then so is everybody else so it might be a good thing, especially when he says"even if no p2 cars show up,dps still need to be sped up so they wont get in the way of the gtlm cars" so it seems a few people are thinking in the right direction over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEu_ZTJZPig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR07nWC883o
Old 29 Jul 2013, 07:07 (Ref:3283173)   #2405
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Really disappointed by Taylor's tweet (& subsequent retweet by Michael Shank!) about "Meh meh meh, Ever seen a P2 race like that? Meh meh meh".
Old 29 Jul 2013, 08:27 (Ref:3283191)   #2406
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Really disappointed by Taylor's tweet (& subsequent retweet by Michael Shank!) about "Meh meh meh, Ever seen a P2 race like that? Meh meh meh".
He was lowering himself to the level of the lowest-common-denominator critics of DP (the people who say they are rebodied Cup cars). He also chose to speak out after a race that I wouldn't describe as one of the better DP races and certainly not one that exhibited much of the unique close racing the class can produce.

Chris
Old 29 Jul 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3283215)   #2407
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Close racing is not exclusive to DP's. They shouldn't portray it as such.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 10:24 (Ref:3283236)   #2408
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Taylor is young and competitive and at least as passionate as any of the posters here---and he has no doubt heard all the stuff that has been sasid about DP vs. P2, and is probably tired of "his side" getting so much grief.

His fans probably loved it, and otherwise ... don't see that it matters much. And I agree, it wasn't that good of a race ... not bad, but in now way exceptional.

So basically, I agree with Taylor ... "meh, meh, meh."
Old 29 Jul 2013, 10:55 (Ref:3283255)   #2409
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
One would think! ALMS runs to ACO/FIA spec.....

L.P.
which means if GTLM is staying as is, then the thicker cages wont be needed.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3283263)   #2410
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Seems like drivers - well at least one - doesn't quite agree with that:

Quote:
I'm a big fan of FIA GT3 cars, but if I were driving one next year it'd have higher door bars welded onto the driver side of the cage - Mike Hedlund.
Andy Lally and Ryan Eversley have also been very critical about safety features on current GT-cars vs what would be theoretically possible.

Also: Several GT3-cars (the Mercedes being one of them) already come with cage tubing in the dimensions GA demands, so that really doesn't seem to be an all that outlandish request.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 12:23 (Ref:3283300)   #2411
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good time to raise these issues, with FIA GT unification under consideration. Also, I'd think GT3 manufacturers would pay attention and build to the stronger standard--no reason the cars need to be "one series only" if the factories build them right.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3283329)   #2412
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Taylor is young and competitive and at least as passionate as any of the posters here---and he has no doubt heard all the stuff that has been sasid about DP vs. P2, and is probably tired of "his side" getting so much grief.
Pay me what he's getting to like the DPs and I'd like them, too.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3283353)   #2413
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
He's also paid to race a GTLM Corvette for Doug Fehan.

Come to think of it, there are quite a few pay drivers, not just in Grand-Am.

Andy Flinn

Last edited by ACFlinn; 29 Jul 2013 at 15:45.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3283356)   #2414
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Seems like drivers - well at least one - doesn't quite agree with that:

Andy Lally and Ryan Eversley have also been very critical about safety features on current GT-cars vs what would be theoretically possible.

Also: Several GT3-cars (the Mercedes being one of them) already come with cage tubing in the dimensions GA demands, so that really doesn't seem to be an all that outlandish request.
Just for the record I think the FIA GT3 cars are "safe enough" to race here. But after driving cars with high door bars and those with low, if it's my car and nobody is paying me to drive it.. then I'll have the higher door bars welded in. If I was racing them in Europe full-time, I'd do the same thing (assuming it's allowed by the rules). It's my own personal preference.

I don't think it should be mandated by the rules, which then kills the whole point about making FIA GT3 cars eligible for the class and for them to come over and easily tweaks the cars to run.

I'm still curious how they plan to get a car with similar pace to GTLM to run the pace of GTC with "minimal modifications". And I still just don't understand why, if they can do that, why they don't just let them run AS-IS w/ restrictors, ballast, and spec tires to keep them slower than GTLM instead of requiring any of these stupid "spec wings" which don't do jack except complicate the process of joining the series. The cars have such advanced aero that the rear wing plays an important part, but changing it isn't going to "level the field".

It's just ridiculous.

-mike
Old 29 Jul 2013, 15:44 (Ref:3283358)   #2415
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
Just for the record I think the FIA GT3 cars are "safe enough" to race here. But after driving cars with high door bars and those with low, if it's my car and nobody is paying me to drive it.. then I'll have the higher door bars welded in. If I was racing them in Europe full-time, I'd do the same thing (assuming it's allowed by the rules). It's my own personal preference.

I don't think it should be mandated by the rules, which then kills the whole point about making FIA GT3 cars eligible for the class and for them to come over and easily tweaks the cars to run.

I'm still curious how they plan to get a car with similar pace to GTLM to run the pace of GTC with "minimal modifications". And I still just don't understand why, if they can do that, why they don't just let them run AS-IS w/ restrictors, ballast, and spec tires to keep them slower than GTLM instead of requiring any of these stupid "spec wings" which don't do jack except complicate the process of joining the series. The cars have such advanced aero that the rear wing plays an important part, but changing it isn't going to "level the field".

It's just ridiculous.

-mike
I agree. I would actually think restrictor and tires would be the easiest way to slow things down. They must have a contract with the wing maker that they want to keep.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3283361)   #2416
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Good time to raise these issues, with GT construction and classification rules unification under consideration. Also, I'd think GT3 manufacturers would pay attention and build to the stronger standard--no reason the cars need to be "one series only" if the factories build them right.
FIFY

L.P.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 15:59 (Ref:3283362)   #2417
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
For our record, Jordan is on the record saying he wants DP to evolve into GTP.

I think if you were put in a DP free of charge you'd fall head over heels in love with the car and the racing. That seems to be the way it is.

Chris
Old 29 Jul 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3283365)   #2418
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I think if you were put in a DP free of charge you'd fall head over heels in love with the car and the racing.

Chris
No.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 16:22 (Ref:3283367)   #2419
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
For our record, Jordan is on the record saying he wants DP to evolve into GTP.

I think if you were put in a DP free of charge you'd fall head over heels in love with the car and the racing. That seems to be the way it is.

Chris
I don't think so. I just watched the "highlights" from the Indy race and all but about 2 shots over a 6 minute video were either crashes or people hitting others while passing.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3283371)   #2420
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
Were is the ""sport"" in out-spending your competition, only to run off and hide until it's time to finish one-two and laps ahead of the nearest opponent to claim an eleveth victory at Sebring in 14 attempts?

That's sport? No, that's more like a technological exhibition.

--- Andy Flinn
I'm sorry if being rewarded for your hard work through technology, creativity, innovation, ingenuity, and capitalism scares you.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3283375)   #2421
Maelochs
Veteran

From what I hear, driving a DP is sort of like driving a GT car. I have heard more than a few drivers say that once you get in a high-downforce car you are spoiled for anything else (though I guess it takes some getting used to--going faster into the corner to get the aero working to get through the corner faster.)

Anyway ... everyone is allowed to have a favorite. Doesn't mean anything in terms of any series or the success of any series ... different people like different things. Maybe I would love to drive a DP ... so what?
Old 29 Jul 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3283380)   #2422
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
From what I hear, driving a DP is sort of like driving a GT car. I have heard more than a few drivers say that once you get in a high-downforce car you are spoiled for anything else (though I guess it takes some getting used to--going faster into the corner to get the aero working to get through the corner faster.)

Anyway ... everyone is allowed to have a favorite. Doesn't mean anything in terms of any series or the success of any series ... different people like different things. Maybe I would love to drive a DP ... so what?
+1. DPs have relatively the same top speed, acceleration, and cornering ability as the old GT1 cars from 2007 and 2008.

I think most people need to stop assuming that DPs are bad for the sport. From what I hear, they'll boost that LMP2 entry list a bit...
Old 29 Jul 2013, 17:14 (Ref:3283387)   #2423
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Greg Pickett looking at a possible Indycar program.
http://www.racer.com/muscle-milk-pic...rticle/305015/
Old 29 Jul 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3283398)   #2424
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Greg Pickett looking at a possible Indycar program.
Sounds like he is not too thrilled with where USCR is headed. Calls all the excitement as "uniformed enthusiasm".
Old 29 Jul 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3283399)   #2425
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
I think Jordan Taylor has heard the fans loud and clear on Twitter whether we prefer P2s or DPs! ha ha ha
I'm not surprised by Taylor's comment. He's been around GRAND AM for at least ten years, and the us vs. them probably rubbed off on him. He's currently one of the quickest drivers in DPs. In ALMS races, he's a bit of a handicap for the #3 Corvette. So, I'm guessing that that also has a bit to do with his hostility toward ALMS cars.
Funny, P2 at Mosport was a much closer race than Friday's Grand Am race.

Hey, maybe if he likes DPs so much, he can run in the 10 next year, and Corvette can get a quicker 3rd driver!

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 29 Jul 2013 at 17:46.
Closed Thread