Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3283402)   #2426
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
@ACFlinn: gimme Taylor's compensation and I'd even like the corvettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Sounds like he is not too thrilled with where USCR is headed. Calls all the excitement as "uniformed enthusiasm".
uninformed*, but yeah, he hits the nail on the head.

And here's the point that keeps rubbing on me (and gets me tagged as troll in the GA camp, obviously):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett
Honestly, I think it's hard for anyone to commit to buy a product when almost one year later, you still don't know what you're getting
Old 29 Jul 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3283414)   #2427
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett
Honestly, I think it's hard for anyone to commit to buy a product when almost one year later, you still don't know what you're getting
This is one of the major problems. You have two poor management groups, with opposing ideologies, stick them together and expect success.....

The problem here is that those who wish to talk about expense are dealing at the most simple levels. I'm not sure where critical thinking has gone, but there is a strong fail contained within.

If people just wanted close racing, then Conti would be the most successful racing around... plenty of club racing and lower levels are close racing. But, this is "supposed" to be top level racing, and the most popular forms haven't always had close racing, though the ALMS finishes through much of it's history has been as close as Grand Am.

The cars are the draw... that's it. At least from the fans perspective. Spec cars, near spec, or boutique nameplates are not the draw, never will be.

That doesn't mean you do things the way you always have, rather you modify the strategy, and learn from the past.

But to make things so simple, well it is simple minded.

This Management group can't even come up with rules, or barely anything else in nearly twelve months. Their priorities are out of order and they lack any future direction. Really "merging" two sets of cars from different rules sets is hardly the biggest challenge here, it is the expectation that two management groups who were essentially failures would be able to achieve anything worth while.

It really is a bit of a comedy.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 18:32 (Ref:3283416)   #2428
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Sounds like he is not too thrilled with where USCR is headed. Calls all the excitement as "uniformed enthusiasm".
Really sucks to be potentially losing a very well funded team when half the field is crying about increased costs.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 18:34 (Ref:3283417)   #2429
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has the potential though to finally get a message through to the USCR mgmt.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3283422)   #2430
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
No way. If Daytona cared about Greg Pickett P1 would be a class next year.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3283425)   #2431
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The "message" doesn't have to get there in time for 2014 (though at the rate USCR is moving, you could send a message in the Christmas mail and it would get there before the new rules were announced.)

The message has to get there by early 2015, so the 2016 rules actually outline a potentially popular and profitable racing series.

Some one in the World Center of Racing needs to realize there is an outside world by Spring 2015. Hoping for more will just get you disappointed.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 19:02 (Ref:3283429)   #2432
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephaeton View Post
..This message has been repeatedly stated to the USCR management by other entrants on both sides. I doubt one more voice suddenly turns the light bulb on.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3283431)   #2433
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Land View Post
No way. If Daytona cared about Greg Pickett P1 would be a class next year.
Hardly the message at all. You've missed the point.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3283439)   #2434
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
I could say the same thing about the relationship between the WEC and Sebring. I thought 2011 and 2012 were both huge successes. However, this year, the WEC decided to skip Sebring and schedule an event at COTA, instead. Why couldn't the WEC support Sebring?
According to you, it was because of the LMP2 car count.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 21:42 (Ref:3283472)   #2435
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Greg Pickett looking at a possible Indycar program.
http://www.racer.com/muscle-milk-pic...rticle/305015/
"Money isn't the concern for Pickett as he looks to secure his team's future, but keeping his team together and engaged in something equal or greater to P1 racing appears to be the main priority."

What option for 'something equal or greater to P1' exists in N. America?
Old 29 Jul 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3283473)   #2436
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
"Money isn't the concern for Pickett as he looks to secure his team's future, but keeping his team together and engaged in something equal or greater to P1 racing appears to be the main priority."

What option for 'something equal or greater to P1' exists in N. America?
He says what in the next line:
Quote:
“We're already racing with an IndyCar budget, a [NASCAR] Nationwide budget,” he admitted.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:25 (Ref:3283487)   #2437
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Oh, I read that part too, but does either IndyCar or Nationwide satisfy the need for the engineering challenge?
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3283495)   #2438
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given the fact that he says that he wants to try IndyCar to find out, I'd say that probably he wants to try IndyCar to find out.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3283498)   #2439
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Oh, I read that part too, but does either IndyCar or Nationwide satisfy the need for the engineering challenge?
Getting an Acura NSX GTLM program up to speed would, until 2016 'P' car comes along.

L.P.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:42 (Ref:3283500)   #2440
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
If people want to see slow spec cars with high car counts and close a "Show" I wish they would just watch Spec Miata and leave top level sporstcar racing alone.
Amen brother, I've already lost interest in the USCR and have moved on. Slow this, restrict that, spec, cheap, blah, blah, blah. It will be one hell of a club race series, not a TOP LEVEL PROFESSIONAL SERIES. Read Greg Pickett's comments in the last six paragraphs of this:http://www.racer.com/muscle-milk-pic...rticle/305015/
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3283501)   #2441
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
For years, some fans have wanted ALMS (USCR in 2014) to be the sports car racing equivalent (high tech) of F1. So again, if fans insist that teams purchase brand new cars just to be competitive and that purses be doubled, why shouldn't ticket prices reflect that?

The era of gimme, gimme, gimme is over.

Andy Flinn
The era of ALMS levels of fan interest is over...
Old 29 Jul 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3283502)   #2442
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
"For the Fans"
Too many words - the news series will have "Four Fans".
Old 29 Jul 2013, 23:00 (Ref:3283507)   #2443
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Too many words - the news series will have "Four Fans".
Looks like you won't be changing your name to Canada USCR fan.

But seriously, at least give it a try next year. IMO they have done more right then wrong so far and if they get the balance right, then the racing should be great. And I know, we all love the technological side of the ALMS, but we still got that in the GTE class.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 23:21 (Ref:3283525)   #2444
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
How would you feel about paying double for a ticket next year?

Andy Flinn
I see your point but that is not how it works in a capitalistic economy
such as the USA. In a perfect world the USCR should be able to capture all of the Rolex crowd and ALMS crowd together on the same weekend.
There is your double up at the gate for 1 race.

If the USCR product was equivallent to a 24hr LeMans field with all of the P1s
etc. then I would pay double for that weekend. Another words , the product needs to be that awesome to demand that kind of ticket price.

I am already going to Daytona no matter what. I have to see that in person. It is a watershed moment for sportscar. To see all of those drivers is really going to be amazing. Its been too long.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3283526)   #2445
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Amen brother, I've already lost interest in the USCR and have moved on.
...which is why you have three consecutive posts today in the "USCR" thread?

I mean, I lost interest in NASCAR along time ago, and haven't posted, or even read one of those threads. Your comment just struck me as funny.

USCR: you want it, you know you want it.

Last edited by Breitling24; 29 Jul 2013 at 23:37.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 29 Jul 2013, 23:29 (Ref:3283530)   #2446
Maelochs
Veteran

"In a perfect world the USCR should be able to capture all of the Rolex crowd and ALMS crowd together on the same weekend.

There is your (double up??) seven percent increase at the gate for 1 race."

Fixed that for you.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3283534)   #2447
rwindle
Rookie

United States
Dallas, Texas
rwindle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching the Fehan and Elkins interviews I was struck the most by Fehan's perception of Grand Am registration and technical inspection ... "We're not happy until you're unhappy".

I find Fehan and Pickett's viewpoints realistic ... not be to confused with confidence inspiring ... that would be un-informed optimism.
Old 29 Jul 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3283542)   #2448
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes, with those who have forgotten how to navigate a simple site, it would certainly appear as that may be the case.
L.P.
If you need help, I'm here to help you.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 00:01 (Ref:3283543)   #2449
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post

Fixed that for you.
Somehow I knew you would.
Old 30 Jul 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3283551)   #2450
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Given the fact that he says that he wants to try IndyCar to find out, I'd say that probably he wants to try IndyCar to find out.
Top comment!