Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 2 Jul 2021, 12:50 (Ref:4059348)   #3701
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
You could make a list long enough to break this forum's software of drivers who either didn't get a chance at all or not a decent chance in the BTCC.

Just some names that spring to mind: Paul Rivett, Stefan Hodgetts, Gavin Pyper, Shaun Watson-Smith, Tommy Erdos, Simon Harrison, Toni Ruokonen and Alan Morrison.

All had very decent pedigree, many of them won in the Production class in the early 2000s, but never got a good chance in the main series.

I wouldn’t include Morrison as he got a win in the series and not like Harrison, who got a few wins outright due to the handicap system in 2001.

I definitely agree with Erdos and Watson-Smith, they did enough to warrant a second season that they never got. As did Jonathan Adam.
Old 2 Jul 2021, 14:24 (Ref:4059366)   #3702
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think people underestimate just how good Morrison was. Just 25 points off team-mate Neal in his second season in the championship proper, and his first season alongside Andy Priaulx who would go onto be multiple World Champion, he was more competitive than the final standings show, after suffering the majority of Honda's mechanical woes that year.
Old 2 Jul 2021, 16:38 (Ref:4059381)   #3703
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks the like hybrid Corolla (and regular Corolla) will be doing runs up the Goodwood hill climb next week.
Old 2 Jul 2021, 16:47 (Ref:4059383)   #3704
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think people underestimate just how good Morrison was. Just 25 points off team-mate Neal in his second season in the championship proper, and his first season alongside Andy Priaulx who would go onto be multiple World Champion, he was more competitive than the final standings show, after suffering the majority of Honda's mechanical woes that year.
Yes, Alan Morrison was a great driver who would have had a very successful career had he remained in the BTCC. I would even say that he was possibly the best ever race starter in the BTCC (considering he drove a FWD car, not a RWD car like Winkelhock, Collard and most other great starters).
Old 2 Jul 2021, 17:09 (Ref:4059384)   #3705
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Yes, Alan Morrison was a great driver who would have had a very successful career had he remained in the BTCC. I would even say that he was possibly the best ever race starter in the BTCC (considering he drove a FWD car, not a RWD car like Winkelhock, Collard and most other great starters).

So much so he got away before everyone else at Thruxton one year
Old 2 Jul 2021, 17:37 (Ref:4059392)   #3706
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone have the feeling that this could be Tingram's long overdue title year ?
Old 2 Jul 2021, 21:08 (Ref:4059420)   #3707
S griffin
Veteran

Would be a nice story if Tingram did it
Old 2 Jul 2021, 21:28 (Ref:4059423)   #3708
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I definitely agree with Erdos and Watson-Smith, they did enough to warrant a second season that they never got. As did Jonathan Adam.
jonny did far better career wise out of btcc, a paid drive with aston martin, no having to find budget every year just go and drive what and where your gaffer tells you. tidy salary with expenses and a few trophies along the way. Not a ad life for a builder's son from kirkaldy
Old 6 Jul 2021, 07:35 (Ref:4060062)   #3709
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Apparently James Gornall will be in the Geddie Cupra at the tyre test, although not necessarily at the Oulton Park race meeting. But maybe Bushell isn’t a certainty for that drive.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 07:49 (Ref:4060065)   #3710
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Apparently James Gornall will be in the Geddie Cupra at the tyre test, although not necessarily at the Oulton Park race meeting. But maybe Bushell isn’t a certainty for that drive.
Bushell was in a hospital a couple of days ago with severe arc eye after his welding helmet failed so perhaps he's not capable of driving.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 08:17 (Ref:4060070)   #3711
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Bushell was in a hospital a couple of days ago with severe arc eye after his welding helmet failed so perhaps he's not capable of driving.
What do the touring car gods have against him!

Regardless Gornall is another driver who deserves a proper shot in the BTCC.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 11:58 (Ref:4060096)   #3712
S griffin
Veteran

Bushell really can't catch a break can he?

Would be nice to see Gornall get another try, he certainly did alright last year before he had to pull out
Old 6 Jul 2021, 12:34 (Ref:4060119)   #3713
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The hybrid test car is showing on the live timing this afternoon. From memory that's the first time it's run with live timing so could be interesting.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 15:02 (Ref:4060165)   #3714
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bushell really can't catch a break can he?

Would be nice to see Gornall get another try, he certainly did alright last year before he had to pull out
Did alright? In the Audi? Was pretty average , nearly always behind his team mate and rammed another car under the safety car at Knockhill!!! Way off Goffs today....
Old 6 Jul 2021, 15:49 (Ref:4060176)   #3715
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strangely, the news story about Gornall driving doesn't mention Bushell at all. https://www.team-hard.com/james-gorn...est-programme/
Old 6 Jul 2021, 16:28 (Ref:4060184)   #3716
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Strangely, the news story about Gornall driving doesn't mention Bushell at all. https://www.team-hard.com/james-gorn...est-programme/
They haven't mentioned Bushell at all as far as I know it's purely from Bushells side AFAIK. Until/if he comes up with the money I doubt they will want to mention him in press releases.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 17:05 (Ref:4060191)   #3717
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Did alright? In the Audi? Was pretty average , nearly always behind his team mate and rammed another car under the safety car at Knockhill!!! Way off Goffs today....

He wasn’t that far off, he actually got the occasional result, even got in the top ten once
Old 6 Jul 2021, 17:25 (Ref:4060194)   #3718
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
He wasn’t that far off, he actually got the occasional result, even got in the top ten once
Especially given that the Audi was one of the weakest cars on the grid. Doubt he's raced much (or anything) since the BTCC as well so he's not going to be matching Goff today.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 17:32 (Ref:4060196)   #3719
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Especially given that the Audi was one of the weakest cars on the grid. Doubt he's raced much (or anything) since the BTCC as well so he's not going to be matching Goff today.
Not so bad in Hills hands - I don’t think he out qualified his team mate once last year. By any measure bearing mind his experience it was pretty average
Old 6 Jul 2021, 20:07 (Ref:4060211)   #3720
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Not so bad in Hills hands - I don’t think he out qualified his team mate once last year. By any measure bearing mind his experience it was pretty average
Jake Hill drover the Audi in 2019, Gornall was 2020 so not a direct comparison.

Comparing Gornall with his teammate in 2020, when they both finished, the results were 6-3 in favour of Thompson, with Gornall's best finish being a 7th compared to Thompson's 10th.
Gornall also out-qualified his teammate in 2 of 5 meetings.

I would say S Griffin's assessment of 'did alright last year' was fairly accurate when you compare with like for like.
Old 6 Jul 2021, 20:44 (Ref:4060214)   #3721
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Jake Hill drover the Audi in 2019, Gornall was 2020 so not a direct comparison.

Comparing Gornall with his teammate in 2020, when they both finished, the results were 6-3 in favour of Thompson, with Gornall's best finish being a 7th compared to Thompson's 10th.
Gornall also out-qualified his teammate in 2 of 5 meetings.

I would say S Griffin's assessment of 'did alright last year' was fairly accurate when you compare with like for like.
But you have to remember, the forum standard is much higher. He should have been dominating every race. ?
Old 7 Jul 2021, 16:36 (Ref:4060304)   #3722
ScottS
Rookie

ScottS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.tsl-timing.com/event/212741

Testing event results from yesterday and today. A bit surprised by the hybrid cars pace. Granted it's carrying extra weight from batteries, electric motor and the gubbins that go with it. But I thought it would be lapping faster than today's BTCC cars.
Old 7 Jul 2021, 16:47 (Ref:4060306)   #3723
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
Gornall finished top 10 - anyone know where I can buy a Humble Pie?
Old 7 Jul 2021, 18:55 (Ref:4060329)   #3724
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another wet test where a lot of drivers did minimal running in the wet conditions. I get why, as the risks of costly damage go up considerably, but i'm sure we'll hear the same drivers bemoan their lack of wet data/setup next time it rains on a race weekend.
Old 8 Jul 2021, 09:42 (Ref:4060382)   #3725
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Another wet test where a lot of drivers did minimal running in the wet conditions. I get why, as the risks of costly damage go up considerably, but i'm sure we'll hear the same drivers bemoan their lack of wet data/setup next time it rains on a race weekend.
It was a tyre test rather than a general test - I don't know if that had any influence on the running? If they were there to test new slick compounds then there was no point running in the wet.