Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 5 Feb 2020, 04:40 (Ref:3955781)   #51
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
No more commodores thank goodness.
Terrible comment to make.
Im sure we would love to continue the COmmodore and Falcon rivalry.
I guess this is when the series finally looses its spark???

thank gawd for MotoGP
Old 5 Feb 2020, 05:20 (Ref:3955783)   #52
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
Terrible comment to make.
Im sure we would love to continue the COmmodore and Falcon rivalry.
I guess this is when the series finally looses its spark???

thank gawd for MotoGP
You're dreamin, there were none in the 12hr and the race was much better for it.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 08:46 (Ref:3955805)   #53
benny41
Rookie

benny41 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
We already have SUV racing after a fashion, although not currently Australia relevant other than the availability of the road going version.... a one make (Jaguar electric SUV ) series, The FIA sanctioned series supporting Formula E Electric Racing.

Billed as the world’s first all-electric production based international race series, the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/champ...aguar-e-trophy
As much as it might be an "ugly" series to watch it might be the only way to keep manufactures interested.

It could be an interesting concept to have suv style bodies over a spec or similar spaceframe chassis, let the engines be what the manufacturer dictates (4 cyl , v6 ,v8 electic ) and use bop to keep it all in line.

Other than that supercars need to prepare for a world with no manufacturer backing and adjust accordingly.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 13:03 (Ref:3955873)   #54
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
You're dreamin, there were none in the 12hr and the race was much better for it.
There was one and thats why the race was soo good.
No Falcons though
Old 5 Feb 2020, 22:19 (Ref:3956009)   #55
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Speedcafe article uses words like “2-door sports car” and “GT inspired” to describe the possible next rules package

How can you keto awarding the “Australian Touring Car Championship” title to that?
Old 5 Feb 2020, 23:47 (Ref:3956010)   #56
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Up to 1992 a great majority of the ATCC winners were 2 door sporty cars. Mustang, Camaro, Torana, RX7, BMW, Sierra, Skylines....
Old 5 Feb 2020, 23:57 (Ref:3956011)   #57
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
There was one and thats why the race was soo good.
No Falcons though
Fortunately I must have blinked and missed it.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 23:59 (Ref:3956012)   #58
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The Speedcafe article uses words like “2-door sports car” and “GT inspired” to describe the possible next rules package

How can you keto awarding the “Australian Touring Car Championship” title to that?
I guess the corvette will be ruled out due to it being rear engine, as will many others if this is the case.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 00:45 (Ref:3956015)   #59
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess the corvette will be ruled out due to it being rear engine, as will many others if this is the case.
Me being pedantic, it is mid engined but I know what you are saying. There ain't no way a front mounted engine is going into the new Corvette.

I pointed out a few years ago here that SC's was facing the problems that have now arisen and even Peckstar agreed with me and we never agreed on anything!

The near future is going to be a huge gestation period for motor sport that has never occurred before and it might take a long while to wade through it or the sport may not survive except in very small niche terms, purely speculation on my part but realistically possible. There are those who deny Zero Emission cars are actually going to be a real thing in mass numbers and those who can't wait for it all to happen with hybrids being a passing transition into the full Zero Emission world of motoring. When all that gets sorted out motor racing might have a direction to go in.

Pessimism or optimism...I don't know TTTT
Old 6 Feb 2020, 02:03 (Ref:3956019)   #60
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Me being pedantic, it is mid engined but I know what you are saying. There ain't no way a front mounted engine is going into the new Corvette.

I pointed out a few years ago here that SC's was facing the problems that have now arisen and even Peckstar agreed with me and we never agreed on anything!

The near future is going to be a huge gestation period for motor sport that has never occurred before and it might take a long while to wade through it or the sport may not survive except in very small niche terms, purely speculation on my part but realistically possible. There are those who deny Zero Emission cars are actually going to be a real thing in mass numbers and those who can't wait for it all to happen with hybrids being a passing transition into the full Zero Emission world of motoring. When all that gets sorted out motor racing might have a direction to go in.

Pessimism or optimism...I don't know TTTT
My bad, I should have said the corvette not being front engined.

If SC isn''t prepared to adopt a different parity formula it will restrict the category to sports coupes I guess.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 02:46 (Ref:3956022)   #61
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If SC isn''t prepared to adopt a different parity formula it will restrict the category to sports coupes I guess.
It doesnt have any other viable choice. Sadly, sedans of the like of Falcon/Commodore/Altima/E class/S60 are on the decline and/or already extinct. They cant go to hatchbacks (TCR is already there) and unless you want to see Superutes become the pemier class what else is there? Mazda CX5's going head to head with the Ford Escape and the Holden Equinox???

Even two door coupes are frought because the Camaro may be dead by 2023. Then what? No viable GM product....
Old 6 Feb 2020, 03:11 (Ref:3956023)   #62
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tying the series to a body shape... that seems like history repeating itself, no?

The 4-door sedan bubble burst.

2-door coupes already seem played out.

No one knows where car trends/styles are going - yet Supercars are planning long term series/structural changes that revolve around a very specific body style, that even now seems to be waning in popularity.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 04:26 (Ref:3956029)   #63
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Tying the series to a body shape... that seems like history repeating itself, no?

The 4-door sedan bubble burst.

2-door coupes already seem played out.

No one knows where car trends/styles are going - yet Supercars are planning long term series/structural changes that revolve around a very specific body style, that even now seems to be waning in popularity.
On the contrary they know where trends are headed - but it does not fit with what used to be known as touring cars.

EG:
The iconic Holden Commodore is no more after the carmaker announced it would axe the car from its line-up to focus solely on utes and big SUVs.

Ford today announced it will phase out most cars it sells in North America. According to its latest financial release, the auto giant “will transition to two vehicles” — the Mustang and an unannounced vehicle, the Focus Active, being the only traditional cars it sells in the region.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 04:53 (Ref:3956031)   #64
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

Yeah tend to agree..........The Australian comment is where its run in this instance and not a reference to the vehicle.
Old 6 Feb 2020, 07:53 (Ref:3956042)   #65
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This will be an interesting conversation...

TV Station: What cars are you going to run in the period of the contract you want us to sign

Supercars: Stuffed if we know, you got any ideas on what you want to see?

Old 7 Feb 2020, 12:42 (Ref:3956246)   #66
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Then what? No viable GM product....
GM is not particularly important to the series. A strong series should be brand agnostic.

I can envision the Commodore runners being divided between Ford Mustang, BMW 8 series, and Mercedes E Coupe.
Old 8 Feb 2020, 12:05 (Ref:3956402)   #67
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
GM is not particularly important to the series. A strong series should be brand agnostic.

I can envision the Commodore runners being divided between Ford Mustang, BMW 8 series, and Mercedes E Coupe.
You might envision it but I bet Mercedes and BMW don't, especially if they can't use their own drive lines to their specification. I doubt Mercedes is super keen to repeat their prior SC experience at all but maybe they were really impressed with what happened last time and are chomping on the bit to do it again.
Old 8 Feb 2020, 16:52 (Ref:3956444)   #68
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You might envision it but I bet Mercedes and BMW don't, especially if they can't use their own drive lines to their specification. I doubt Mercedes is super keen to repeat their prior SC experience at all but maybe they were really impressed with what happened last time and are chomping on the bit to do it again.
HWA at least made many millions out of it
Old 9 Feb 2020, 02:54 (Ref:3956492)   #69
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You might envision it but I bet Mercedes and BMW don't,
In that case, GT3 rules should be selected instead.

As receiving refusals from every single manufacturer other than Ford, would suggest Supercars propriatery rules are an unviable dead end!
Old 9 Feb 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3956517)   #70
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
In that case, GT3 rules should be selected instead.

As receiving refusals from every single manufacturer other than Ford, would suggest Supercars propriatery rules are an unviable dead end!
This would seem to be the case.
Old 9 Feb 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3956611)   #71
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Perhaps Supercars should not focus on OEM financed cars?
The MARC2 looks like a Mustang buts its developed by a independent racecar builder. That could be the case at future supercars.
Every team can put sheet metal over a tube frame.
Old 10 Feb 2020, 09:12 (Ref:3956713)   #72
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggo View Post
Perhaps Supercars should not focus on OEM financed cars?
The MARC2 looks like a Mustang buts its developed by a independent racecar builder. That could be the case at future supercars.
Every team can put sheet metal over a tube frame.
I can't see how they can hope to carry on with the format used up until now, if anyone else can I would like to see the suggestions on how. Along with the car factories the format seems to have been demolished as well.
Old 13 Feb 2020, 23:33 (Ref:3957533)   #73
Compromised
Veteran

Why not Indy Lights?

The series US connections have really grown in recent years. It's actually quite impressive to see the amount of American involvement.

So, capitalize.

Make a true pathway to the US (forget about F1). Scotty could very well be the pioneer for this model (sorry Marcus).

Established rules and regulations. Manufacturer involvement. Legitimate potential to reach Indy.

Cost could be a negative - not sure what a season of Indy Lights would run you.

Lack of ovals here is another concern. Could be built I guess.
Old 14 Feb 2020, 00:14 (Ref:3957535)   #74
Mixer
Veteran

Other than F5000 open wheelers have never had legs and will never hold the public interest.
Old 14 Feb 2020, 01:07 (Ref:3957542)   #75
Compromised
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Other than F5000 open wheelers have never had legs and will never hold the public interest.
I've heard that before and there does seem to be a lot of truth to it. Shame really - I feel the series has the talent (teams and driver's) to pull it off.

But if no one shows up to watch...
Closed Thread