Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Jan 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3876468)   #3026
OultonGold
Rookie

OultonGold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprmke View Post
My original prediction was Plato and Cook at PMR and Proctor at TPC.

None of those drivers have signed anything yet and none of those seats are filled yet, but there have been conversations regarding all of the above.
I can’t see it any other way if PMR genuinely mean what they say.

I’ve been reading the thread for sometime and can understand the dissapointment RE Goff - but Cook surely has to fall in the same camp.

First season in the Astra and drove it to 6th.

Hypothetical scenario - Cook leading a race - can they trust Proctor to be high enough up the race order to be rear gunner and hold the pack effectively?

Can Plato do that effectively in a competitive FWD - absolutely yes.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3876470)   #3027
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by OultonGold View Post
Cook leading a race - can they trust Proctor to be high enough up the race order to be rear gunner and hold the pack effectively?

Can Plato do that effectively in a competitive FWD - absolutely yes.
Whilst he may have the ability to do that, Plato does not have any motivation to do it. He's more interested in his own pocket and the statistics than helping someone else win.

Remember, this is the guy that said (about a teammate who was competing for a championship) - 'He’s got stuff to crack on with. I’m not going to give up wins, because I’m not going to take a financial penalty. But anything other than a win – he can have it! That is the way it goes and I’d expect that in return.'
Old 16 Jan 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3876474)   #3028
OultonGold
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Whilst he may have the ability to do that, Plato does not have any motivation to do it. He's more interested in his own pocket and the statistics than helping someone else win.

Remember, this is the guy that said (about a teammate who was competing for a championship) - 'He’s got stuff to crack on with. I’m not going to give up wins, because I’m not going to take a financial penalty. But anything other than a win – he can have it! That is the way it goes and I’d expect that in return.'
Don't disagree.

I'm working on the assumption Plato definitely wants in this year.

Couple of things tell me he does want in:

1. Silence on his future - which of course is completely normal - if you are working on putting a deal together. Suggests he is.

2. an absolutely blatant, scathing opinion on Brexit. Which is absolutely fine - but it potentially suggests maybe some regular backers are not keen at all and have possibly quoted that as the reason. His passion/venting on the subject (Brexit) I believe stems from that - which would mean to me, he wants in.

and of course 3. PMR have coughed they are in talks with several drivers. Not sure why they would openly say that if they weren't.

I know this would be difficult for Plato to accept (and more importantly carry out), but given the climate he is currently in and the teams available to him - if he does want in for 2019 he would have to compromise PMRs ambitions against his own - if that was to happen and Cook (or other driver at PMR) emerged as a title contender.

Otherwise, that's another team burned and Career 100% over.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:15 (Ref:3876480)   #3029
OultonGold
Rookie

Quote:

I suppose its important to say as well - i'm not outright suggesting lunacy that Plato has to accept being a Number 2 driver (if such a thing really exists in BTCC)

But when you find yourself in that position as rear gunner in a round, it is important to do it effectively. The benefit is the consistent score to yourself and Plato does know this by now. Its clear in BTCC now you have to let your teammate go if they are leading - the only exception being if the leaders tyres then dramatically fall off. If your team mate inst there in the first place to rear gun - thats when the team underachieve.

Dynamics did this effectively last year and finished 2nd in the Constructors - ahead of PMR. If PMR want to achieve their ambitions they have to see past Proctor who has had two seasons in the car now.

If it comes to PMR making a decision as to which one to choose (presuming they had similar budget/contract) - I dont know why you would choose Procter to meet the ambitions they are stating.

It would benefit PMRs ambitions to some extent having Platos "win" attitude in the team - provided he doesn't go overboard - but we know the PMR Astra "works" - I couldn't imagine a Subaru BMR scenario/attitude from Plato - if he was to land a PMR seat.

I just cant see Proctor being the right fit for the ambition.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3876485)   #3030
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Neal and Cammish confirmed to stay with Dynamics -

https://www.motorsport.com/btcc/news...-2019/4324770/
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3876490)   #3031
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knew it was coming but it’s nice to have it confirmed, Dan proved his worth last year and I’d be surprised if he wasn’t a championship contender this year.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3876491)   #3032
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
18 drivers fully confirmed

with Simpson and Moffat nearly dead certain makes it 20 seats

MG - Excelr8 Motorsport - ???????
MG - Excelr8 Motorsport - Rob Smith

Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Mike Bushell
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Bobby Thompson
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Carl Boardley
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Michael Crees

Toyota Corolla - Speedworks - Tom Ingram

Mercedes A - Ciceley - Adam Morgan
Mercedes A - Ciceley - Dan Rowbottom

Mercedes A - Laser Tools - Aidan Moffat

BMW 125 - WSR - Tom Oliphant
BMW 125 - WSR - Colin Turkington
BMW 125 - WSR - Andrew Jordan

BMW 125 - Team Parker - Stephen Jelley ??

Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Matt Neal
Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Dan Cammish

Honda Civic - BTC Norlin - Chris Smiley ????
Honda Civic - BTC Norlin - ????

Honda Civic - Simpson Racing - Matt Simpson

Honda Civic - AMD - Sam Tordoff
Honda Civic - AMD - Rory Butcher

Audi S3 - Trade Price Cars Racing - Jake Hill

Audi S3 - Trade Price Cars Racing - ???????

Vauxhall Astra - PMR - Josh Cook ?????
Vauxhall Astra - PMR - ?????

Ford Focus - Motorbase - Tom Chilton
Ford Focus - Motorbase - Ollie Jackson

Ford Focus - Motorbase - ?????

Subaru Levorg - BMR - Ash Sutton ???
Subaru Levorg - BMR - ???

Last edited by porsche962fan; 16 Jan 2019 at 13:48.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:48 (Ref:3876493)   #3033
OultonGold
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Knew it was coming but it’s nice to have it confirmed, Dan proved his worth last year and I’d be surprised if he wasn’t a championship contender this year.
No one should underestimate this - if Neal can take points away from Turkington more often than he did last season - these two drivers (edit Cammish and Neal) can walk this championship - provided the car is ready from the off.

One of the worst rounds for dynamics last season was Rockingham (especially for Neal) and the car clearly wasn't ready for the first round at Brands in race trim - whereas it certainly was for the GP layout for the last rounds!

Thruxton performance is key however as the cars go there twice.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:55 (Ref:3876494)   #3034
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by OultonGold View Post
No one should underestimate this - if Neal can take points away from Turkington more often than he did last season - these two drivers (edit Cammish and Neal) can walk this championship - provided the car is ready from the off.

One of the worst rounds for dynamics last season was Rockingham (especially for Neal) and the car clearly wasn't ready for the first round at Brands in race trim - whereas it certainly was for the GP layout for the last rounds!

Thruxton performance is key however as the cars go there twice.
Don’t forget the Honda’s also have a strong representation on the grid, two more FK8’s and the AmD FK2’s the former I’m sure keen to be ‘helpful’ to their supplier. Mind you they could arguably take points off the works team, so it could work both ways.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3876496)   #3035
porsche962fan
Veteran

^ we don't know for sure if BTC got the new FK8
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:56 (Ref:3876495)   #3036
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Given that their teams are entered under the names Aiden Moffat Racing and Matt Simpson Racing respectively, and both drivers have posted images of 'their' cars being prepared for the 2019 season, accompanied by comments about themselves being the drivers, what more is required to confirm them?
Old 16 Jan 2019, 13:57 (Ref:3876497)   #3037
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
what more is required to confirm them?
a press release like we just had for Dynamics

you never know , it can always come someone and say "Hey Aidan I give 600 K to drive your car this season, are you interested ?"
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:01 (Ref:3876498)   #3038
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Personally I think the Plato situation is either gonna see him end up in the 3rd Motorbase car with Hamilton in at BTC or see him go somewhere like Excelr8 back with the MG for a season just to get himself out of the Subaru I can't see him retiring just yet if he knew he would end up with no drive for 2019 I'm sure we would have heard something by now.

Of course the PMR seat is still an open option but from that statement that was put out with Weaver on the btcc website he's made it pretty clear that they'd like to keep their 2 from last year
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:05 (Ref:3876501)   #3039
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
18 drivers fully confirmed

MG - Excelr8 Motorsport - Rob Smith

Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Mike Bushell
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Bobby Thompson
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Carl Boardley
Volkswagen CC - Team HARD - Michael Crees

Toyota Corolla - Speedworks - Tom Ingram

Mercedes A - Ciceley - Adam Morgan
Mercedes A - Ciceley - Dan Rowbottom

Mercedes A - Laser Tools - Aidan Moffat

BMW 125 - WSR - Tom Oliphant
BMW 125 - WSR - Colin Turkington
BMW 125 - WSR - Andrew Jordan

Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Matt Neal
Honda Civic - Team Dynamics - Dan Cammish

Honda Civic - Simpson Racing - Matt Simpson

Honda Civic - AMD - Sam Tordoff
Honda Civic - AMD - Rory Butcher

Audi S3 - Trade Price Cars Racing - Jake Hill

Ford Focus - Motorbase - Tom Chilton
Ford Focus - Motorbase - Ollie Jackson

Ford Focus - Motorbase - ?????

so... just for the sake of keeping it a simple picture of whats left....

Ford Focus - Motorbase - Nick Hamilton?????

Vs (Possible/Mentioned gap-fillers in no particular order)

Jason Plato
Jack Goff
James Cole
Mat Jackson
Senna Proctor
Rob Collard
Ricky Collard (?)
Dan Lloyd(?)
Ant Whorton Eals (?)
Rob Austin
Brett Smith
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3876503)   #3040
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Is it confirmed that BTC will be backed by Norlin as title sponsor in 2019?

The entry list only reads 'BTC Racing', and there is a bit of online presence for BTC Racing that does not refer to Norlin (although does have some of their colour scheme). Could that be a team that money will still buy a title sponsorship at?

Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:21 (Ref:3876504)   #3041
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

The entry list only reads 'BTC Racing', and there is a bit of online presence for BTC Racing that does not refer to Norlin (although does have some of their colour scheme). Could that be a team that money will still buy a title sponsorship at?

Same could be said on Aiden Moffat Racing which was on the entry list but im pretty sure Laser Tools is a given
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3876505)   #3042
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Same could be said on Aiden Moffat Racing which was on the entry list but im pretty sure Laser Tools is a given
Aiden Moffat has been promoting under the 'Laser Tools' banner, and has even looked for backers to join the 'Laser Tools Racing' team.

I've not seen anything from the BTC Racing camp that has mentioned Norlin in any way.....
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3876506)   #3043
OultonGold
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
Don’t forget the Honda’s also have a strong representation on the grid, two more FK8’s and the AmD FK2’s the former I’m sure keen to be ‘helpful’ to their supplier. Mind you they could arguably take points off the works team, so it could work both ways.
One thing is for certain - if your car doesn't run well round Thruxton - forget the championship.

Hondas and BM's can be confident.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3876507)   #3044
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

The suggestion upthread was Norlin would only be on Smiley's car.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 14:40 (Ref:3876510)   #3045
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
The suggestion upthread was Norlin would only be on Smiley's car.
That seems to make sense. Bert Taylor has dropped 'Norlin' from his own online presence, but they have both (Smiley and Taylor) discussed their plans for 2019.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 15:12 (Ref:3876514)   #3046
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nic Hamilton is signed to Motorbase for their third Focus. It may not have been announced yet, but has been signed a while now.

BMR have two drivers signed and sealed and it’s almost certainly Ash Sutton and a BTCC newcomer.

Josh Cook at PMR is no certainty, but it’s likely.

Moffat and Simpson are definites. Neal and Cammish have been signed for months, confirmation was always going to be a formality.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 15:14 (Ref:3876515)   #3047
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Neal and Cammish to stay. Matt is still competitive even in his 29th season of the championship. Hopefully their second season with the car will be an improvement
Old 16 Jan 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3876519)   #3048
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen nothing to suggest that Team Parker's entry won't be Stephen Jelley in the BMW again, but nothing confirmed as yet.

Would be nice to see Rob Collard remain in a BMW, but highly unlikely.
Old 16 Jan 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3876525)   #3049
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
I've seen nothing to suggest that Team Parker's entry won't be Stephen Jelley in the BMW again, but nothing confirmed as yet.

Long and drawn out debate about if Jelley owns the car or just helped broker the deal to buy it already took place on here but i think hes a safe bet
Old 16 Jan 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3876528)   #3050
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I think Rob might be doing British GT.