Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2177368)   #26
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
redturner37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
The O level exam boards decided (four times!) that my command of the French language was not passable in any sense of that description. And it has not improved since those days.

If someone wants to sell me something (like dinner or a drink) we can usually get by.

Regards

Jim
The fact that you actually went to school and had the chance to sit exams gives you a clear head start over me, so I just stick to driving and take a very large bag of sandwich's with me.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2177382)   #27
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wilkinson
As the "demo" drivers are usually not competing with European licenses (i.e. MSA ones) then they fall outside of the competition regulations. I understood from a certain Chevron driver that the clocks were still run for the drives just that the times did not appear in the final results!

the hill-climb at St.Goueno always times and posts the times for 'demo' drivers, as I believe do the climbs at la Pommeraye and Hebecrevon. As from this year all single seater cars will have to be FIA compliant irrespective of licence being used. with regard to
'equipment de securite', belts, extinguishers and fireproof underwear.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2177794)   #28
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturner37
the hill-climb at St.Goueno always times and posts the times for 'demo' drivers, as I believe do the climbs at la Pommeraye and Hebecrevon. As from this year all single seater cars will have to be FIA compliant irrespective of licence being used. with regard to
'equipment de securite', belts, extinguishers and fireproof underwear.
I assume that the FIA compliant bit will also include the seat-belts which will have to (a) carry an FIA label, and (b) still be inside the Expiry Date.

If your car is compliant with all the above will you then be able to enter using an MSA license?

Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2177810)   #29
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
. . . If your car is compliant with all the above will you then be able to enter using an MSA license?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Book Appendix 7
Use this checklist if you are planning to compete abroad:

• Is the event on the FIA International Calendar (or the FIA National Events with Authorised Foreign Participation Calendar; NEAFPC), otherwise it could be a long trip for nothing
• Have you got the right Competition Licence (International Driver and Entrant Licence or EU Licence, as appropriate)

(plus several other important points.)
The NEAFPC bit is essential unless you have an International grade licence.

Jim
Old 15 Apr 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2177928)   #30
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
Quote:
I assume that the FIA compliant bit will also include the seat-belts which will have to (a) carry an FIA label, and (b) still be inside the Expiry Date.

If your car is compliant with all the above will you then be able to enter using an MSA license?

yes indeed, and in fact you can enter the CFM Open Challenge. Most events on the calender require at least an MSA speed licence, however at la Mont Dore you will need an International Speed, because I believe it is a European round. Everything needs to be in date, and that means everything with a date on it, though in my case, the sell by date has long gone.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2178603)   #31
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If someone wants to sell me something (like dinner or a drink) we can usually get by.

Regards

Jim
'Un grande Bere s.v.p.'

and 'merci'

thats all i need to know

here endith the french lesson
Old 16 Apr 2008, 08:15 (Ref:2178608)   #32
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle
'Un grande Bere s.v.p.'

and 'merci'

thats all i need to know

here endith the french lesson
Only buying one bere! what's wrong with trois beres?

Old 16 Apr 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2178627)   #33
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Moi aussi, s'il vous plait.

Jim
Old 16 Apr 2008, 11:01 (Ref:2178757)   #34
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Moi aussi, s'il vous plait.

Jim
I haven't forgotten mon ami mate!
Old 16 Apr 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2178919)   #35
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Quote:

Aye, i have part scottish blood...

buy your own beer!
Old 16 Apr 2008, 17:54 (Ref:2179141)   #36
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hill climbs are great a nice test of many things and a good venue for old cars. a new machines but its hard to get momentum like on a circuit and do better and better laps
hillclimbs are mad
Old 17 Apr 2008, 07:58 (Ref:2179545)   #37
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
hill climbs are great a nice test of many things and a good venue for old cars. a new machines but its hard to get momentum like on a circuit and do better and better laps
hillclimbs are mad
What on earth are you talking about, this is what makes hill-climbing so much more difficult, you have to work so much harder to get the times down, and you dont know what the competition has done until your run is over. How on earth do you think Martin Groves got the Shelsley Walsh record down to 22.80 seconds, very hard work.
Old 17 Apr 2008, 08:38 (Ref:2179564)   #38
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
One of the attractions of hillclimbing for me (as a watcher, not a doer) is that minor errors are reflected with substantial losses in performance. Look how the drivers on some of the videos referenced above are being inch-perfect on apexes.

(The fact that obstacles, trees and drops punish other errors more severely is, of course not an attraction but one of the concomitant hazards.)

One problem with speed events of all sorts is that being able to see the times as they are set is an important component of the enjoyment. Many venues are woefully lacking in such information.

Regards

Jim
Old 17 Apr 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2179574)   #39
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
One problem with speed events of all sorts is that being able to see the times as they are set is an important component of the enjoyment. Many venues are woefully lacking in such information.

Regards

Jim
The problem with having plentiful displays for the spectators is that it costs the organisers money as there is usually a cahrge for each additional clock - always assuming the timekeepers in question have umpteen clocks they can have out on course.

What is invaluable for the spectators is a commentary where information about the competitors plus their time can be relayed. Again this is also dependant on the timekeeper providing either a screen for the commentator or a mini-printer which rattles out the times.

In an ideal world there would be digital clocks at each corner that not only displayed the times but the race number of the competitor. Maybe the organisers should consider investing in such devices plus the cabling so that the timekeepers can just couple them up to their clocks?

Old 17 Apr 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2179703)   #40
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
I do understand that facilities will have to be funded.

(Cables? What are cables? )

Jim
Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:14 (Ref:2179711)   #41
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
I do understand that facilities will have to be funded.

Jim
Cables are still in use at a lot of venues and the laying out of cables & their retrieval is all part of the cost that some organisers have to pay.

Not every organiser has the luxuy of a permanent venue & not every timekeeper uses wireless transmission.

Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2179735)   #42
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
Yes Steve. I think that what I am suggesting is that some aspects of the sport need to take a step (great leap?) forward in the technology we use.

Cables may possibly still have a place in some areas where high tech has not been affordable (e.g. where transmission latency might be an issue). Cables to connect displays is pretty old hat and causes maintenance and installation problems.

Just a thought.

Regards

Jim
Old 17 Apr 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2179990)   #43
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Quote:

Jim
they are something the wildlife like to chew on...

Harewood have just upgraded their timing information with the addition of 1 or 2 extra timing screens opposite the main viewing areas.
Old 6 May 2008, 18:15 (Ref:2195396)   #44
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

dunno, ask Goldilocks...
Old 12 May 2008, 09:42 (Ref:2199896)   #45
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back the the European Hillclimbs, has any one seen the truck going up? Also check out the Peugeot Film with Ari going up Pikes Peak in the 406T16, it shows why Ari is the hero he is, especially the bit where he takes his hand off to shield his eyes from the sun and continues to drive one handed with a quite stomach turning drop to oblivion on one side.
Old 19 May 2008, 18:43 (Ref:2206687)   #46
HoTWire
Racer

HoTWire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is another nice video in car with an BMW E30 DTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MutMGuUT-_o

If you search Youtube for "Berg Cup" you can also find some serious cars. They do love their totally screaming Polos and Kaddetts out there.

Hill climbing seems to be a much more mainstream in Europe.
Old 8 Jul 2008, 13:37 (Ref:2247148)   #47
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok have been doing some research on Berg Cup racing today and it seems there are three main series with FIA approval.

The one that most people seem to like is the Hillclimb Cup, this is the one featuring Pailler in teh Dayglo 600hp Intergrale, Ianello and his mate in their Delta's and Plasa in teh Judd Beemer

They also have mental classes with 1300cc, 200 bhp Audi 50's, Polos etc, the tech and tuning on these cars is out of this world really.

Problem is, I cant find links to any 'official' websites of the championship?

Can anyone help here please?
Old 8 Jul 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2247452)   #48
Flymo
Rookie

England
Down south by the sea
Flymo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.berg-cup.de
Old 9 Jul 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2248022)   #49
Darth Vader
Rookie

Darth Vader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello to all of you! I'm new to this forum. I have read a lot and it is one of the best forums you can find in the web.
My Number One Motorsport is Hillclimbing. And I search for Information around the world. The people in this forum seem to know a lot about the British Scene. But it seems you know not much about European Hillclimbing. So I'd like to offer you my help. Just let me know what you want to know. And excuse me for my bad english. It's not my native language.

The question about the championships is not as easy as it seems. There a lots of championships with lots of classes and different rules.

The Berg Cup for example is a german national championship for Group H Touringcars.
The Championship widely kown over whole Europe is the FIA European Championship. But although it is a FIA-Championship and it is the second oldest FIA-Championship after Formula 1 there is no official Homepage.
I have to stop know. But ask me if you want to know more!
Old 11 Jul 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2249092)   #50
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok Sith

I ahve been looking again at videos and websites

There seem to be various series running berg Cup style cars.

There is the German cup with Polo, Golf, Kadett, etc all running very highe spec motors.

And then I keep seeing Ianello, Gabat, Pailler and the DTM Mercs in series aswell.

Plus not every series seems the run teh V6 proto cars and the F3000 machines?

I think Berg Cup is what I have been watching. Main guys seems to be a guy in a yellow Polo that screams its nuts off, with another in a silver/purple car?

Then that amazing yellow Kadett that changes gear in milliseconds and the old shape 3 series??

V confusing!