Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Dec 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1188744)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
How has F1 influenced road cars?

Just wondering, what innovations have actually directly filtered down to road cars over the past 60 years?

The only examples that spring to mind for me are the disk brakes that Bentley pioneered in the Lemans 24h, and maybe Semi Automatic gearboxes that (Ferrari?) pioneered in 1989?
Old 28 Dec 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1188747)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
That's funny!! I thought Jaguar pioneered disk brakes at Le Mans. Even if Bentley did, I don't think that Bentley ever had a car in F1.

My opinion is that very little has actually filtered down from F1 into road cars, and whatever did was in a very watered down guise. But that is only my opinion, and I accept that I may be totally wrong on this.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1188748)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There have been some things learned about tyre technology.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1188750)   #4
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same could be said for fluids
Old 28 Dec 2004, 10:56 (Ref:1188753)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
......and solids

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 28 Dec 2004 at 10:56.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 11:42 (Ref:1188771)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah oils and coolants have probably developed the most from F1 racing.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:07 (Ref:1188780)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say it influnenced all the Vauxhall Nova owners who glue faux carbon fibre to the shell.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1188793)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Not much really,road tyre data mainly comes from rallying and touring car series, you could say the same for most things really.Pirelli and Goodyear aren't losing any sleep because their not in F1.

Last edited by Marbot; 28 Dec 2004 at 12:53.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:55 (Ref:1188795)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
I'd say it influnenced all the Vauxhall Nova owners who glue faux carbon fibre to the shell.

More seriously there have been very good technologies that have come from f1 but not so much as ideas or inventions.
Much more as pure research and materials advancements

Some i can think of are:

The turbo era-
excellent improvements in absolute fuel efficiency,combustion chamber design,materials

Tyres -
Have a look at the bridgestone performance tyre brochure that explains all their technologies and you'll see what i mean! The weird and wonderfull ideas + the strange chemistry they come up with is facinating
The world ***NEEDS*** tyre competition in f1 (but not under the current pitifully political rules though-change the circumferal grooves to a % of tread surface must be grooved,or something similar-i.e any tread pattern.That way f1 tyre tech will filter down to road cars even quicker)

The recent era -
The last few years the manufacturers have been making small but constant improvements in 'losses reduction'
That is-making bearings more slippery,stronger and smaller.
Making parts as small and light as they can possibly be (finite element analysis).
Small but continued improvements in combustion and thermal efficiency
Old 28 Dec 2004, 12:59 (Ref:1188797)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
That's funny!! I thought Jaguar pioneered disk brakes at Le Mans.
It was Jaguar (with Dunlop) in the '50s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Not much really, road tyre data mainly comes from rallying and touring car series
and even then more Rallying I think.

Generally I think the main thing for manufacturers involved (engine, tyre, team, etc...) it improves practices and methods rather than specific items. Honda used to rotate their engineers so that their road engineers had experience of F1. A good idea I thought.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1188816)   #11
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hear the replacement for the Nissan Almeria will have a CVT gear box and that was with Williams Renult at the time.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:07 (Ref:1188826)   #12
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
It was Jaguar (with Dunlop) in the '50s.
...and that was a spin-off from Dunlop's aviation activities.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1188831)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Clearly F1 is more about concepts - while rallying and touring car racing have a much more direct link with road cars.

I'd suggest racing tends to be more about marketing the brands than engineering though.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:12 (Ref:1188832)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
i hear the replacement for the Nissan Almeria will have a CVT gear box and that was with Williams Renult at the time.
The first automotive CVT was used by DAF in the late 1950s, using a principle which had been around for a long time in industrial drives. All current CVT's are a development of that, the biggest difference being in the type of belts used nowadays.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1188838)   #15
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
Yes, Williams engineered it and it was banned before it got to the racing stage. However, for road use, the pioneer of Continuously Variable Transmission was DAF which used it in its road cars in the 70s.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 16:44 (Ref:1188911)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
The first automotive CVT was used by DAF in the late 1950s, using a principle which had been around for a long time in industrial drives. All current CVT's are a development of that, the biggest difference being in the type of belts used nowadays.
Correct
See this page for CVT in DAF F3 and rally cars.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1188945)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

Nothing new under the sun.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1188968)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Was is Jag who pioneered the disk brakes? I could have sworn it was Bentley, can someone please confirm?
Old 28 Dec 2004, 18:54 (Ref:1188972)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
If I remember well it was Bentley.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 19:20 (Ref:1188983)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Definetly Jaguar. On their C-Types at Le Mans* and it was very quickly on to the road cars too. Try here

*winning in 1953 - the first time the race was completed at an average over 100mph.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 20:34 (Ref:1189034)   #21
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think NASCAR has done more for oil and especially greases.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1189050)   #22
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gearchange paddles, now there's a good idea for road cars......

Last edited by Tweed; 28 Dec 2004 at 21:09. Reason: temperamental keyboard
Old 28 Dec 2004, 21:43 (Ref:1189061)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I hate the sequential (no paddles) shift in my car. Everytime I want to change gear I have to have a philosophical debate with the car about it. It isn't driving anyway.

Generally I'm not sure F1 has to be related to road cars. It is about achieving something different. However the general practices still do apply in engineering and manufacturers can still learn, although it won't be with any physical part of the car nowadays.

One aspect that they really can learn is control systems and monitoring for the ECU. Skills in fine tuning engine performance depending on various inputs help not only boost power, but also improve fuel effeciency. Improving power at the rear wheels is closely related to improving effeciency.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 22:59 (Ref:1189111)   #24
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the biggest improvments road cars get from f1 cars is generally i'd say from the tyre development. from michelin introducing radials to the many times you see a company come along with brilliant wet weather tyres as just 2 examples.
Old 28 Dec 2004, 23:22 (Ref:1189131)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
The trouble with technology(and probably the reason we still change gear with a centrally mounted gear stick)is that you can sell technology to 17 year olds but maybe not to 57 year olds,all of whom still watch F1.Car manufacturers won't produce a car that has paddle gear change as standard unless it is an up market low volume vehicle.