Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Mar 2011, 13:13 (Ref:2854854)   #26
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
How does 107% work when there's rain during qualifying?
If a team fails to get within 107% during quali due to rain but has set respectable times during dry running (i.e within 107%) they will be allowed into the race iirc.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2854941)   #27
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
If a team fails to get within 107% during quali due to rain but has set respectable times during dry running (i.e within 107%) they will be allowed into the race iirc.
Not sure if there are any quantitive requirements but the FIA certainly have the discretionary power to allow any car that DNQ'd a start in what they refer to as "exceptional circumstances" .

The FIA Stewards (rightly in this case) chose to not use their 'power to allow' DNQ overider with HRT, deeming the circumstances not exceptional enough to warrant an overule..
Old 28 Mar 2011, 17:14 (Ref:2854978)   #28
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
1:31.266 was 107% of Vettel's Q1 time, which is the benchmark.
Stupid rule, it should be 108%.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2854990)   #29
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Stupid rule, it should be 108%.
No, that's silly. It should be 107.793%
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:02 (Ref:2855844)   #30
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I had overlooked Marques and Yoong.

Odd, as I will never forget Marques lapping Albert Park in qualifying in 2001. One of the most disturbing pieces of television I have ever witnessed.
Never watched X-Factor then?
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:13 (Ref:2855850)   #31
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been various non-qualifiers pre 1992 because these guys did not survive the pre-qualifyings. As far as I remember there was a cut at either grid pos 24 or 26 but 28 or 30 qualifiers. I am just not sure with the numbers. I have an article here somewhere from the Saturday morning of the 1991 Hockenheim GP and it states that Michael Bartels (back then boyfriend to ex tennis star Steffi Graf) failed to pre-qualify.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2855857)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Never watched X-Factor then?
Hats off to you and Knowlesy

Selby
Old 30 Mar 2011, 14:07 (Ref:2855915)   #33
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
There have been various non-qualifiers pre 1992 because these guys did not survive the pre-qualifyings. As far as I remember there was a cut at either grid pos 24 or 26 but 28 or 30 qualifiers. I am just not sure with the numbers. I have an article here somewhere from the Saturday morning of the 1991 Hockenheim GP and it states that Michael Bartels (back then boyfriend to ex tennis star Steffi Graf) failed to pre-qualify.
Back in 1989 I think we had 39 entrants for the opening round in Brazil, and the next race at Imola was only one or two less. In those days the starting grid was maximum of 26 cars.

So pre-qualifying was introduced for all new teams, and also the lowest pointscoring 4 teams from the previous season. If a single car team expanded during the year to a two car team then the new (second) car would also have to pre-qualify even if the first car in the team was not a pre-qualifier. Pre qualifying was held early on the Friday morning, I think from 8.00am - 9.00 am

In Brazil 1989 we had 8 did not get past pre qualifying, and a further 4 did not qualify for the race, so twelve non qualifiers in total. Brazil is a long way to go to not get more than a few laps at 8.00am on the Friday, and then have to pack it all away again.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2855924)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
For trying too hard in a POS or because it was clearly beyond him?
He looked like he had never driven an F1 car before. Frightening, truly frightening.

In the news, looks like Glock is losing faith with Virgin. It will make particularly uncomfortable reading for Nick Wirth, given his obsession with CFD. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90340

I feel sorry for Timo, Toyota shafted him big time by pulling out when they did. I hope he gets another shot in a good team.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 14:50 (Ref:2855940)   #35
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I feel sorry for Timo, Toyota shafted him big time by pulling out when they did. I hope he gets another shot in a good team.
Yeah, and somewhat ironic that Kobayashi, the guy who subbed for him in Brazil after Timo was injured in qualifying at Suzuka, is now sitting in a car that may even give Sauber its first podium (with a bit of attrition from the top guys) since Frentzen got their last one way back in 2003.

Anyway the Sauber is certainly a likely Q3 regular for both cars..... whilst Timo, now in the less than flash Marussia Virgin, is faced with the prospect of having to struggle to even qualify for a race, let alone finish a race with no troubles. More than half of his F1 career starts have now been in a Virgin.

He deserves better. But arguably he at least has a race seat which is something another potentially more deserving young German talent does not have.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 15:17 (Ref:2855948)   #36
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
He deserves better. But arguably he at least has a race seat which is something another potentially more deserving young German talent does not have.
Look, Ralf's F1 career is over now.

Let it go.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 15:36 (Ref:2855957)   #37
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how they came up with the number '107%'. On a sidenote, game theory dictates that there would be a financial gain for the top teams if they push as hard as possible in Q1, to have as many cars as possible excluded. As cars gets excluded teams will start to close shops as sponsors would be fleeing a team that gets no TV time. This will lead to a higher share of the TV money for the top teams.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2856054)   #38
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
I wonder how they came up with the number '107%'. On a sidenote, game theory dictates that there would be a financial gain for the top teams if they push as hard as possible in Q1, to have as many cars as possible excluded. As cars gets excluded teams will start to close shops as sponsors would be fleeing a team that gets no TV time. This will lead to a higher share of the TV money for the top teams.
That's what I call a clever conspiracy.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2856055)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know how 107% was invented, but it was the value they used last time they had such a rule - it wasn't just made up this time to exculde HRT specifically.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2856056)   #40
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Let it go.
He meant Nico Hülkenberg, I guess
Old 30 Mar 2011, 21:35 (Ref:2856095)   #41
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't know how 107% was invented, but it was the value they used last time they had such a rule - it wasn't just made up this time to exculde HRT specifically.
It was set by some sort of technical working group. After weeks of study and deliberation they no doubt concluded that 107% is the point at which a team stops being a plucky backmarker - adding colour to the grid and making up the numbers - and starts being a pain in the arse.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 23:15 (Ref:2856126)   #42
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They first came up with the 107% in '96 I think. Then they dropped it only for Todt to revive last year to put into practice for this year. It probably was a nudge for the new teams to get their act together.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 23:22 (Ref:2856133)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Let it go.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2856303)   #44
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Thinking of Ralf, I suppose that it would have been much more difficult to exclude drivers for being over the 107% rule.