Glock 0 0%
d'Ambrosio 0 0%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Mar 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2854065)   #26
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
A move which, having seen the replay with Martin Brundle, was clearly illegal!
I don't think it was, he had the move done before he went off the circuit. Going off the circuit actually extended his lap, not the opposite which would have been cutting the lap.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2854066)   #27
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Sergio Perez. An extraordinary début, especially with the tyre conservation.
As you know Strider I am a big Sergio Perez fan so no question....in fact I had a few quid on him for a top 6 finish...so close
Old 27 Mar 2011, 10:41 (Ref:2854079)   #28
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I don't think it was, he had the move done before he went off the circuit. Going off the circuit actually extended his lap, not the opposite which would have been cutting the lap.
It's not as simple as that though is it. Sometimes a longer line is actually faster (this is self evident as the ideal racing line round a circuit is never the shortest possible line!), sometimes a driver can pass by carrying more speed earlier in a corner which commits him to using the run off at the exit and it appeared to me that this did indeed happen in this case. Should he have been penalised? tough call, I wouldn't want to make it under pressure!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 10:57 (Ref:2854083)   #29
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
It's not as simple as that though is it. Sometimes a longer line is actually faster (this is self evident as the ideal racing line round a circuit is never the shortest possible line!), sometimes a driver can pass by carrying more speed earlier in a corner which commits him to using the run off at the exit and it appeared to me that this did indeed happen in this case. Should he have been penalised? tough call, I wouldn't want to make it under pressure!
I agree there. Take new Hockenheim, for example. At least two places where throwing the car way way beyond the curbs improves your lap instead of destroying it.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2854126)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
With Sauber being disqualified for an illegal rear wing, which may have given them an advantage, would anyone reconsider Perez's votes?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2854131)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We'll see over the coming races whether it may have given them much of an advantage. He still beat Kobayashi. For now, I'll stick with mine.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:11 (Ref:2854132)   #32
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Hamilton and Vettel with top drives? Come on both just did what they were expected to do and not a bit above that
I don't agree with this school of thought that drivers in top teams scoring good results should be ignored for DOTR. I kind of wish I'd given my vote to Vettel now - he trounced everyone, but has got the same number of votes as a guy who put the same car on P3 and went backwards in the race.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2854133)   #33
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I don't agree with this school of thought that drivers in top teams scoring good results should be ignored for DOTR. I kind of wish I'd given my vote to Vettel now - he trounced everyone, but has got the same number of votes as a guy who put the same car on P3 and went backwards in the race.
Other way round. How do you make out a stunning drive if it ain't for a top position?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2854134)   #34
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
Other way round. How do you make out a stunning drive if it ain't for a top position?
I don't understand the question.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2854143)   #35
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I gave my vote to Vettel. Got pole and dominated the race. Petrov a close second. I think Brundle and Coulthard were impressed as well. Lewis third in my view, although he has mean mega. He really knows how to manage a damaged car, both in qualifying(when his KERS gave up on him) and in the race. Fourth to Alonso, a good comeback drive for him and the Ferrari is still pretty fast(at least in his hands).

Major muck up for Button. He should have let the Ferraris back through.

Schumi's comeback success continues to elude him.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:34 (Ref:2854146)   #36
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyinsthoz View Post
Petrov for me with a special mention for Perez. Great debut.

Exactly
Old 27 Mar 2011, 12:59 (Ref:2854157)   #37
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Perez for me. Given their respective levels of experience, he beat Petrov & Vettel.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:04 (Ref:2854163)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Perez for me. Given their respective levels of experience, he beat Petrov & Vettel.
Even with an illegal car?

Shame for the Sauber team though.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2854168)   #39
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Perez DoR. First race, smart strategy, good finish with a team on a shoe-string.

Unless there was an unusual advantage gained by his car being illegal of course.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:30 (Ref:2854183)   #40
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Petrov. Silenced the doubters on a tricky track. Perez. Despite being DSQ, it was a good start to his F1 career. Special mentions for di Resta and also for Trulli! No one else really did anything out of the ordinary.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2854201)   #41
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver of the race? Perez
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2854205)   #42
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perez would have gotten my vote, but rules are rules, and Sauber were DSQ. So, my vote goes to the other main contentder, Petrov.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2854213)   #43
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
You can make a good case for Vettel for destroying the field, Hamilton for brinin a damaged car home in second, for Petrov for his 1st podium, and Perez for a stunning debut.

Perov gets it from me though - brilliane to see. Surely in this car Kubica would have split Hamilton and Vettel.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2854219)   #44
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Petrov, with a special rookie of the day award to Perez.

Vettel was flawless but relatively unchallenged, Hamilton managed not to make the mistakes that every other possible challenger from the top teams made.

Interesting race, but only because of the new variables brought in by the tyres, KERS and DRS.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2854228)   #45
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Yep I went with Vettel, an absolutely fault free weekend where he made the very best of a great car. He could not have done any better and was dominant.

Great performance from Petrov, also Perez, but despite their quality drives it was without doubt Vettel who was the one who did the best job on the day.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2854229)   #46
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel....in control.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:02 (Ref:2854233)   #47
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For the second race in a row....Petrov!

Perry McCarthy
Old 27 Mar 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2854250)   #48
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
With Sauber being disqualified for an illegal rear wing, which may have given them an advantage, would anyone reconsider Perez's votes?
No. Sauber have lodged notice of intention to appeal, so the disqualification is not yet final.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:25 (Ref:2854267)   #49
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Hamilton managed not to make the mistakes that every other possible challenger from the top teams made.
So I guess going off course and destroying the floor of the car isn't a mistake anymore?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:30 (Ref:2854273)   #50
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So I guess going off course and destroying the floor of the car isn't a mistake anymore?
The floor was damaged before he went off the circuit as highlighted my Coulthard it was possibly the reason for him going off?