Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2854098)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sauber Disqualified

Illegal rear wings. How could they tell?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2854107)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Wow.

What a shame.

So if they passed scrutineering, how can this be? Unless they changed something on the car over the weekend?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2854112)   #3
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a (very very complicated) explanation on autosport.com, which I totally don't get, but either they're too far forward or too far up or too low or... something. I wonder if that is what gave them that advantage, because I have to admit that I was surprised at the progress they made over the winter.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 11:41 (Ref:2854113)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As I understand it the FIA doesn't carry out every test on every car pre race. However they can randomly select cars in PF post race. They did just that and Sauber failed on a dimensional test.

Perez now joins Kubica for being disqualified from 7th on has Sauber and F1 Debut. Spooky.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 11:48 (Ref:2854119)   #5
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Whoops. Based on the rules broken that are quoted in Autosport, sounds like a design issue rather an adjustment issue.

They may have been running from the start of the year with the wing incorrect if that is the case.

Amazing that this type of thing can still happen with all the cad systems that the teams use.

Shame for the team given today's good result, but rules is rules.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2854179)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder, if its a design issue, when corrected, whether the team will lose a lot of its performance in the next races? I hope not, but as Tourer points out, rules are rules.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2854199)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by badoer fan View Post
There's a (very very complicated) explanation on autosport.com, which I totally don't get, but either they're too far forward or too far up or too low or... something. I wonder if that is what gave them that advantage, because I have to admit that I was surprised at the progress they made over the winter.
Not so much a complicated explanation than a poorly written one.

As said above it looks like a design problem. They are going to investigate back at the factory.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2854209)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
This is a problem with several technical regulations.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2854254)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Their initial reaction seems one of not guilty, or at least one they feel comfortable enough to have confirmed they are lodging an appeal against the FIA decision.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:34 (Ref:2854276)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I glaze over whenever I try to read the regs - they're way beyond my comprehension. Like reading a Will Self novel.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2854277)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame for Perez.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2854298)   #12
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does the FIA have links to be able to read the protest and what the problem actually was? Saw on GPupdate a quote about all the car checking out except the rear upper-most wing element. Did it have to do with the range of a motion on the ARW system or the actual positioning of the rear wing elements? It does seem like they would enter the FIA dimensions in the programming when designing the car, but if their reference plane was off I guess that could throw off the wing position.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2854301)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
This is a problem with several technical regulations.
For clarification, my point is not that the rule was badly written it was that the article was badly written.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:28 (Ref:2854313)   #14
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Still a shame that Perez great drive was for nowt.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:33 (Ref:2854322)   #15
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Still a shame that Perez great drive was for nowt.
In my opinion it takes nothing from his drive, I'm sure the dmensional error Sauber appear to have made had a negligible effect on the cars performance so Perez still drove that car to 7th on the track with a one stopper on his debut, a fine achievement. As you say it's a shame the history books won't reflect that (unless the appeal succeeds) but he still did it!
Old 27 Mar 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2854341)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Apparently there is some sort of 100mm ball that fits into the curvature of the wing section. There shouldn't be any sort of visible gap between the ball and the wing section ( or 'a local concave radius of curvature smaller than 100mm.') - but there was.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 15:44 (Ref:2854932)   #17
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how long are we going to wait for this hearing to take place about this.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2854933)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
how long are we going to wait for this hearing to take place about this.
I've no idea - I expect it'll be after the flyaway races, when the teams return to Europe.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2854987)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... can they fix this issue in time for the next races ?? Oh yeah, we hope so...
Old 28 Mar 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2855035)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Uhn... can they fix this issue in time for the next races ?? Oh yeah, we hope so...
They checked their other rear wings that didn't have the same problem????
Old 28 Mar 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2855073)   #21
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
More than likely the ruling will stand. Rules are rules.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2855088)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
As you say it's a shame the history books won't reflect that (unless the appeal succeeds) but he still did it!
And going by that drive, there's a reasonable chance the history books will reflect plenty of other positive moments for this man.
Old 28 Mar 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2855096)   #23
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
They checked their other rear wings that didn't have the same problem????
I'm not surprised....

A 1mm/1% deviation in the curvature radius (which is by no mean extreme in the composite industry) - is all it would take to make their 'last weekend' wing illegal.....
Old 28 Mar 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2855130)   #24
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
For clarification, my point is not that the rule was badly written it was that the article was badly written.
So your post was badly written?
Old 28 Mar 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2855141)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Here's an explanation that is hopefully written more clearly: http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/0...-infringement/