Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Mar 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2855259)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Hockenheim-ring...

Just watched a highlights package of a wsbk race from 2000 that used the full circuit. The bikes where slipstreaming all the way through the forest which got me thinking - what is the situation with that part of the ciruit in 2011?

With all these new huge boring circuits being built & tv $$$ being more important than crowds through the gates, how awesome would it be to see F1 roar through the ost-curve again
Old 29 Mar 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2855264)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they took up the track immediately, and planted trees. it's still possible to walk the path of the old circuit but all but the final straight into the stadium (car park) has gone. the whole area is popular with weekend cyclists.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2855265)   #3
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Just watched a highlights package of a wsbk race from 2000 that used the full circuit. The bikes where slipstreaming all the way through the forest which got me thinking - what is the situation with that part of the ciruit in 2011?

With all these new huge boring circuits being built & tv $$$ being more important than crowds through the gates, how awesome would it be to see F1 roar through the ost-curve again
Nothing of the forest straights and the Ostkurve exists anymore eversince the all new Eunuchenheim has been built, thanks to a certain Bernhard E. wanted the cars lapping more often and parties in power that usually only have votes at next election in mind. The only thing still existing of old Hockenheim are the traces through the wood on overhead/satelite pictures in google earth. Even the Jim Clark monument had to be moved backwards so it doesn't stand somewhere hidden in the woods
Old 29 Mar 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2855289)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
A great travesty.

However you can add the Osterreichring to that list. A once fearsome, high speed track that is now no more.

EDIT: And Imola for that matter.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 10:19 (Ref:2855291)   #5
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4016807
Old 29 Mar 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2855336)   #6
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I just find it all really sad. Not just the Hockenheimring, the lot of them.

I still don't understand why they can't just leave the original sections and build around them. I'm sure there'll be 100 "good" reasons from the governments etc, but I think the idea of still running different series there and keeping a nice balance (ie. maybe running the Formula One there bi-yearly, or every 3/4 years) in F1 would be healthy for the sport.

Imagine still having the options of the old Silverstone layout, but combining bits with the new sections. Imagine re-profiling the Villenueve corner at Imola so that it could still echo its old self (and STILL have the chicane option) but rennovated to adhere to the safety guidelines.

Hey, one can dream.

If I could edit current tracks on Bob's Track Builder, this is exactly what i'd be trying to do

Selby
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2855342)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Funnily enough I watched a replay of that decent BBC4 doc on Grand Prix last night (think it was shown first last week?) and there was a section devoted to the old circuit and Jim Clark. Crikey it was dangerous back then!!

The last time it was used was 2001 IIRC? A race Montoya totally dominated until his engine let go.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:03 (Ref:2855345)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It makes me wonder why Tilke doesn't try and recreate something not too disimilar.

He seems to love the idea of straight/tight turn, so why not make a flat out quick track with some tight turns? At least it'd be different to some of the other cookie cutter tracks...

Selby
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:06 (Ref:2855348)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
For me, forests and parkland remain the most attractive and evocative locations for race tracks. Old airfields come second, city streets third and vast featureless white elephants in the middle of nowhere, last.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2855352)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
For me, forests and parkland remain the most attractive and evocative locations for race tracks. Old airfields come second, city streets third and vast featureless white elephants in the middle of nowhere, last.
Absolutely, love it when there's a mix of old airfield with fields or parks all in one, like a lot of the British tracks.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:15 (Ref:2855358)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Even if he designed something like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pick up the concept of Hockenheim and give it a shot - see if it provides a good race! I'm 95% sure it would. Hockenheim did afterall.

Selby
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2855374)   #12
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Absolutely, love it when there's a mix of old airfield with fields or parks all in one, like a lot of the British tracks.
That's the reason I love to watch BSB and BTCC. For the fantastic circuits they ride and drive on !

I haven't been to Hockenheim since its rebuilt. And I do not plan to go there again. An attraction beside the racing in itself is always the circuit to me too and the new Eunuchenheim doesn't attract me the slightest bit.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2855459)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i never got to go to hockenheim prior to rebuilding but i like to try and get to the memorials and have a walk. i don't find it particularly moving or atmospheric in the same way the old areas of circuit are at monza, but that's perhaps because monza is more suited to leaving those intact because they're inside the existing layout.

it's a shame they felt the previous circuit couldn't continue but it's time to move on. personally i'm just as offended by the abomination that is the new parts of zolder compared to the old ones. the old bit isn't really good for modern huge racing cars and driving styles but the new one is just a characterless crime.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2855545)   #14
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great circuit ECW Dan Selby. Certainly better than the current Hockenheim. One of the things I liked about the old Hockenheim, was that because it had such a long lap it meant that even in the era of re-fuelling the onus was on the driver to fight it out on the track, something which was actually possible because of the long straights, slipstreaming was possible! Plus it was good to have a high speed circuit. I admit that it might not offer have offered such a technical challenge to the driver, because a lot of it was just driving in a straight line, but it did manage to produce some good races(1986, 1987 Piquet winning both, 1991 with Senna and Prost having a good scrap, 1992 and Mansell taking to the escape road to avoid going into the back of Senna and later on Patrese taking to the grass, plus Rubens being amazing in the rain and on dry tyres in 2000).

It is good to have a variety of tracks in F1. Hockenheim as a high speed, low downforce one was good. Likewise having a street circuit like Monaco is worthwhile, even though I accept that overtaking on there is impossible or very difficult at best. Sadly Tilke and Bernie want cookie cutter tracks everywhere with no character what so ever.

Isn't the A1 ring going to go back to a more Österreichring based layout. I know it is been redeveloped.

Just thinking now, what with the crumbly Pirelli tyres and no re-fuelling what a great race there could be on the old Hockenheim circuit.

I don't really like the new Hockenheim that much. I suppose the only real racing that goes on is at the hairpin at turn 4. Am I right in thinking that there is a TV camera on a wire along the straight there? I think I remember seeing it in action on the first race there in 2002. It seemed quite novel at the time, what with it being able to track cars with a great side shot.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2855550)   #15
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Isn't the A1 ring going to go back to a more Österreichring based layout. I know it is been redeveloped.
Not old Österreichring-layout but the younger A1-Ring layout gets used again unfortunately. Not sure if there are changes to it but I'd think that it only can be minor ones
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2855552)   #16
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I went there several times in the 80's but couldn't afford the Grandstands in 1985, so went round the back. The noise though the trees was amazing.

Quite good for a few photos as well.

Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2855558)   #17
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Spot on. Totally agree

The location is just as important as the track itself imo. And that's one of the reasons I watch the BTCC too Andy77!

Great photos by the way Alan!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2855572)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Funnily enough I watched a replay of that decent BBC4 doc on Grand Prix last night (think it was shown first last week?) and there was a section devoted to the old circuit and Jim Clark. Crikey it was dangerous back then!!

The last time it was used was 2001 IIRC? A race Montoya totally dominated until his engine let go.
I watched that, no Armco, nothing except the trees.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2855604)   #19
bludd billz
Rookie

bludd billz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
+1000 my friend!

I was thinking the same thing while enjoying Albert Park's scenery. This reminds me of the Petit Le Mans. Ex F1 drivers come over and most of them love Road Atlanta.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2855640)   #20
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Airfields? Really? Thats about as interesting as having a race on a parking lot in my opinion. No features, just flat artificial running. Not flowing and undulating like say Cadwell park. Cadwell is awesome, Silverstone is terrible. I actually prefer modern arena style tracks like Bahrain over an airfield track
Old 29 Mar 2011, 23:18 (Ref:2855666)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Airfields? Really? Thats about as interesting as having a race on a parking lot in my opinion. No features, just flat artificial running. Not flowing and undulating like say Cadwell park. Cadwell is awesome, Silverstone is terrible. I actually prefer modern arena style tracks like Bahrain over an airfield track
Silverstone's hardly artificial, that's how they found it. You got to put a track like Silverstone in its context. There weren't that many facilities in post war Britain and they improvised and came up with an excellent sollution. As for gently undulating, if all tracks were like Cadwell Park it would be rather boring.

Putting a track like Bahrain in context, it is purely artificial.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2855739)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Airfields? Really? Thats about as interesting as having a race on a parking lot in my opinion. No features, just flat artificial running. Not flowing and undulating like say Cadwell park.
I put parkland and forest circuits first, so I can only agree that Cadwell is superb. But I do quite like Croft, Thruxton, Snetterton, Silverstone...etc, which is why airfield circuits are my second favourite.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:02 (Ref:2855763)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I put parkland and forest circuits first, so I can only agree that Cadwell is superb. But I do quite like Croft, Thruxton, Snetterton, Silverstone...etc, which is why airfield circuits are my second favourite.
Not forgetting one of the finest parkland circuits that's ever been, anywhere; Oulton Park!

Always thought Elkhart Lake was like a bigger version of the Cheshire venue?
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:08 (Ref:2855767)   #24
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Not forgetting one of the finest parkland circuits that's ever been, anywhere; Oulton Park!
I grew up going to Oulton Park. It's my favourite place in the whole world. I don't live in the North West anymore, but try to get to Oulton at least once a year.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2855773)   #25
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I grew up going to Oulton Park. It's my favourite place in the whole world. I don't live in the North West anymore, but try to get to Oulton at least once a year.
Brillliant, I haven't been to Oulton for years, always used to go 2 or 3 times a year becuase it was so distinctive.

I always wished I had been close to a circuit. Nearest I think was Thruxton in the days when I lives in Berkshire.