Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2855776)   #26
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
The noise though the trees was amazing.

Quite good for a few photos as well.
I bet it was
Go Nelson

Bernie, before his time is up, should re-invest some of his billions & get this track re-built...
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:22 (Ref:2855777)   #27
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
I went there several times in the 80's but couldn't afford the Grandstands in 1985, so went round the back. The noise though the trees was amazing.

Quite good for a few photos as well. ...
Really some nice pictures there Alan ... My time at Hockenheim was a good 10 years later but still in a frame to have witnessed the circuit in full glamour.

I seem to a remember a website that was centered on old Hockenheim. Something with rapsody but I either can't find it now or it doesn't exist anymore. It was a beautiful place with lots of memories from the forest straights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunterer
Not forgetting one of the finest parkland circuits that's ever been, anywhere; Oulton Park!
How could we forget Oulton in our count up !

I always thought that the green and hilly areas are part of the "fascination Nordschleife" for instance and realise now that these two elements fascinate me on a lot more circuits world wide. Bathurst and Brands Hatch, for example.
Ok, old Hockenheim wasn't really hilly. I think I once calculated 3.5m height difference towards Ostkurve and the same difference back to finish line from a height profile. Dead flat but also beautiful when you stood somewhere in the woods and bet on the next car passing by, from nothing else than engine sound.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2855778)   #28
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
It would be nice wouldn't it?

With a bit of thought it could be restored and purpose built this time, rather than a ridiculously quick track marred with chicanes - at least this way it'd be purpose built with thought out run-offs etc.

But will not happen, unfortunately!

Selby
Old 30 Mar 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2855784)   #29
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I read once that the old forest areas have been put to nature reserve area status so rebuilding the old bits is out of question
Old 30 Mar 2011, 10:23 (Ref:2855802)   #30
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Absolutely mate. It is a shame.

Why not just put trees over the current Hockenheim?

Funny thing is, if it was just a new track on the calendar, I don't think we'd mind too much. I think it's more a case of it's just been replaced with something that's absolutely nothing like its original character.

That's my main gripe - it's not that it's a bad circuit, it's more the fact that it doesn't contain any of the characteristics that the old Hockenheim embodied.

Selby
Old 30 Mar 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2855805)   #31
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Progress is a one-way street, I'm afraid. You'll never see trees reappearing trackside. Having said that, I watched 'The Killer Years' last night, which made me realise that all these safety measures have been important over the years.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 19:24 (Ref:2857028)   #32
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Progress is a one-way street, I'm afraid. You'll never see trees reappearing trackside. Having said that, I watched 'The Killer Years' last night, which made me realise that all these safety measures have been important over the years.
I thought they were going to end that program with Lauda's crash as an example of how he survived it, horrific as it was, due to the campaigning for better safety.