Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2012, 14:16 (Ref:3101917)   #251
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Here's what I've come up with. But even then, there's no guarantee that it won't get taken out with an anti-tank missile.

WOT, no crumple zones, have you not learned anything about the crash dynamics of th human body!
Old 4 Jul 2012, 14:18 (Ref:3101920)   #252
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
WOT, no crumple zones, have you not learned anything about the crash dynamics of th human body!
The driver is actually cocooned in a bag of special fluid, which will also enable him to sustain higher g-force for longer periods.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 15:42 (Ref:3101972)   #253
jamieshilling
Racer

England
Larkfield, Maidstone, Kent
jamieshilling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Many Accidents?

I think F1 should stay as it is, how many accidents happen in a season where someone dies because there is no head cover? Soon if they keep going at the rate they are with Health & Safety, the championship will be stopped because they are going too fast and could crash.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 15:45 (Ref:3101976)   #254
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the other thread is (rightfully) closed, it seems Maria de Villota has lost an eye due to yesterday´s crash. When you look at how horrific were Massa´s or Schumacher´s accidents that ended in nothing or relatively minor injuries, could have been prevented with some kind of frontal protection, MarÃ*a´s accident at Duxford is a good reminder that Formula 1 still is dangerous and that there are things than can be done (I am not saying only closed cockpits, there are other means...) to improve safety
Old 4 Jul 2012, 15:56 (Ref:3101984)   #255
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Motorsport is dangerous, and every time you think that you've put in measures to stop any kind of freak accident happening, another one comes along to prove that you haven't.

Best wishes to Maria and her family.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3102003)   #256
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
personally i dont think it was a freak accident. it was a race car that was going really fast and something stopped working and it crashed into another object. thats an an entirely predictable racing accident. anyways it not like she got hit by a bolt of lightning on a sunny day...which would be a freak accident.

additionally, the frequency of accidents and specifically the injuries that stem from them have been reduced over time because of advancements in safety. their relative rarity to the past doesnt make them 'freak accidents' by today standards.

anyways F1 is always changing right? thats the way it has always been? in one thread its considered sacrilegious to suggest that changing rules is wrong and in this thread people are giving wnut a hard time for suggesting that maybe its time to rethink the open cockpit concept. basically treating any suggestion of change as sacrilegious.

just for the record imo the people saying things should stay the same are probably the ones who love all the changes this year.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3102006)   #257
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
personally i dont think it was a freak accident. it was a race car that was going really fast and something stopped working and it crashed into another object. thats an an entirely predictable racing accident. anyways it not like she got hit by a bolt of lightning on a sunny day...which would be a freak accident.
I think it was a freak accident. By all accounts, and I far from know the whole details, the car was stationary before accelerating to around 20-30mph. Those sort of speeds aren't even "really fast" on a bicycle. It sounds as if the anti-stall surprised Maria causing the car to leap forward. Unfortunately it appears to be a mix of driver error and the way the anti-stall system works (as someone pointed out on another thread, you would think it would fail safe rather than fail dangerously).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
just for the record imo the people saying things should stay the same are probably the ones who love all the changes this year.
Nope. I hate the changes.

If you look at the tail lift on the lorry in question, you have to ask how effective would cockpit protection have been? The windscreen in a normal car would not have protected the driver in a similar scenario.
Old 4 Jul 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3102025)   #258
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 driver Maria de Villota loses right eye.

Well its sad to hear in the last hour Maria has lost her right eye after extensive plastic surgery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18711127

So sad to see her dream end in such a tragic way. A freak accident really. Sure a canopy would have helped, but accidents like this happen once in a blue moon.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 03:02 (Ref:3102219)   #259
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
Well its sad to hear in the last hour Maria has lost her right eye after extensive plastic surgery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18711127

So sad to see her dream end in such a tragic way. A freak accident really. Sure a canopy would have helped, but accidents like this happen once in a blue moon.
Awful, just horrible!
Old 5 Jul 2012, 06:56 (Ref:3102254)   #260
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is curious that, if you talk only of "personal damage" this is the worst accident in Formula 1 since 1994. I am trying to, but.. I do not remember any other which has produced worse injuries. We have had tremendous accidents (Kubica and Hakkinen come to mind...) but all of them returned to the cockpit to drive again with success. So sad, Maria...
Moderators, feel free to delete comment if we are getting lost from the thread!!!
Old 5 Jul 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3102264)   #261
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
As the other thread is (rightfully) closed, it seems Maria de Villota has lost an eye due to yesterday´s crash. When you look at how horrific were Massa´s or Schumacher´s accidents that ended in nothing or relatively minor injuries, could have been prevented with some kind of frontal protection, MarÃ*a´s accident at Duxford is a good reminder that Formula 1 still is dangerous and that there are things than can be done (I am not saying only closed cockpits, there are other means...) to improve safety
Although this happened in an F1 car, it could have happened in any single seater (or indeed in many other forms of motorsport, e.g. karting). The fact it hasn't happened before (to my knowledge) pretty much makes this a freak occurrence.

As someone who thinks closed cockpits are a good idea, I do NOT think this incident should be used as a reason for bringing them in.

Interestingly, my Locost has a full cage, which would have prevented any injury had that been the car in this incident. And yet it doesn't reduce visibility. Perhaps that is a better way to go.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3103376)   #262
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!

I like those caterpillar tracks, perfect for running over the mechanics feet.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 17:35 (Ref:3103377)   #263
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
I think it was a freak accident. By all accounts, and I far from know the whole details, the car was stationary before accelerating to around 20-30mph. Those sort of speeds aren't even "really fast" on a bicycle. It sounds as if the anti-stall surprised Maria causing the car to leap forward. Unfortunately it appears to be a mix of driver error and the way the anti-stall system works (as someone pointed out on another thread, you would think it would fail safe rather than fail dangerously).
Here's an eye witness account of the accident by BBC presenter Chris Mann:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwINKuAEQ-0
Old 8 Aug 2012, 05:11 (Ref:3117414)   #264
wnut
Veteran

One of the best descriptions I have seen of what it is like to have an accident,
and the advantages of having a coupe body!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...-survival.html
Old 14 Aug 2012, 19:18 (Ref:3119921)   #265
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's not the FIA, or F1, but I stumbled across this earlier today...

http://espn.go.com/racing/nhra/story...closed-capsule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFqf7LnYpG8

I don't follow drag racing at all, but apparently NHRA has approved the design of a closed cockpit for top fuel dragsters. So much for F1 leading the way!

Richard

PS: Three minutes into that video and WOW, I can't believe how visually fast those cars are!
Old 15 Aug 2012, 15:40 (Ref:3120283)   #266
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
F1 isn't always the first motorsport to introduce innovation. F1 cars are made to look very slow, at least in a straight line, by these fiery monsters.

Dragsters can achieve more than 300 mph in 4.5 seconds!

The current Electric Drag Racing record is 6.940 seconds at 201.37 mph over a quarter mile!

I think, at those speeds, I would also want some sort of canopy.

The FIA also has a Drag racing championship, amongst others.

http://www.fia.com/en-GB/sport/champ...pionships.aspx
Old 17 Aug 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3121000)   #267
SteveA
Rookie

SteveA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dragsters can achieve more than 300 mph in 4.5 seconds!
More like 3.8 seconds these days (USA).

Quote:
The FIA also has a Drag racing championship
The finals of which are being held on September 6,7,8 & 9 at Santa Pod Raceway, Northants, England.
Old 19 Aug 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3121900)   #268
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
It's not the FIA, or F1, but I stumbled across this earlier today...

http://espn.go.com/racing/nhra/story...closed-capsule

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFqf7LnYpG8

I don't follow drag racing at all, but apparently NHRA has approved the design of a closed cockpit for top fuel dragsters. So much for F1 leading the way!

Richard

PS: Three minutes into that video and WOW, I can't believe how visually fast those cars are!
Thanks Richard, interesting to see they have to run a drag inducing plate on the top of the canopy!
Maybe they should just make the safety canopy an unpenalised option in F1.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 17:46 (Ref:3129206)   #269
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA's doctor Gary Hartstein has confirmed : Alonso's head is still on his shouders. But today's events at Spa-Francorchamps could again reignite the F1 canopy debate.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3129292)   #270
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there is any need for canopies or frames or anything personally.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3129401)   #271
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I still don't want to see cockpits. I'm sorry, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Why not just force them all to race in LMP cars if you are going to be imposing cockpits? Then what about lower formulae? Will Formula Ford, Formula 3 etc have to fit cockpits then as well?
Old 3 Sep 2012, 09:02 (Ref:3129693)   #272
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Closed cockpits "almost inevitable". But it seems that some sort of 'cage' rather than a fully enclosed cockpit, is more likely.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102213
Old 3 Sep 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3130145)   #273
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What ever sort of device is usedneeds to be designed very carefully. For example a type of roll bar as has been shown elsewhere might catch a car going over the top rather than letting it slide. If a suspension component got caught in a cage like device it could do more damage than no cage.
Old 3 Sep 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3130221)   #274
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
What ever sort of device is usedneeds to be designed very carefully. For example a type of roll bar as has been shown elsewhere might catch a car going over the top rather than letting it slide. If a suspension component got caught in a cage like device it could do more damage than no cage.
And following on from that, the driver needs to be able to get out of the car easily. I wouldn't want to see another accident like Roger Williamson's where the driver is trapped.
Old 4 Sep 2012, 00:19 (Ref:3130271)   #275
wnut
Veteran

Bruce Walker Indy 500 1970 entered by Agagian

(Practice only - No it didn't run with the cage!)