Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Oct 2020, 15:10 (Ref:4011993)   #126
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Missed all what was going on at Goodwood. Catching up and found that our very own tenther Will Nuthall won F1 race so well done Will.
Thanks Iain! Hope to see a few of us out at Silverstone this weekend!

Think Goodwood have got enough filming over the 4 days to use on the social media channels for a while...
Old 22 Oct 2020, 15:22 (Ref:4011994)   #127
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Garage 33 this weekend.
Old 22 Oct 2020, 16:08 (Ref:4011995)   #128
Will Nuthall
Racer

Will Nuthall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Garage 33 this weekend.
Great Peter - will try and get over, looks like I'm in pit 22 and 23.

And/or I may see you on track in the 3 hour!
Old 28 Oct 2020, 17:08 (Ref:4013570)   #129
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Gerry Marshall Trophy somewhat exciting, too!

I'm recording the ITV4 coverage as I had to go out for a while, so still stuff to catch up with.
It was pretty exciting being in it too!!
My 2nd or 3rd lap of qulaifying was awesome, I got overtaken by all 4 Camaros at once and watched them dice for 2/3 corners until they pulled away and I realised I had the best seat in the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
How much to the professional drivers get for appearing? Are they paid per race or for the meeting?
This year there seemed to be a very small pool or very busy drivers. How many events did Nick Padmore do? Was it driving to reduce the number of folk present?
I doubt they get paid, unless they have a deal with the car's owners, but generally it's the professional driver's 'team' that have prepared the car.
The VIP professionals don't get paid anything, they are asked to appear and very few actually know what they're going to be driving until a couple of weeks before the event - it's is still an honour for a lot of people to race at Goodwood.

Some of the VIP drivers did compete in multiple events, some didn't depending on their calendar, so I'm not sure if Goodwood selected it that way.
I would reckon there were around 2,000 to 3,000 people at the event (Members' Meeting is 30k and Revival 90k) and each car was allowed 3 tickets (driver, plus 2 helpers) and I think the VIP drivers were allowed 1 guest - my wife was not happy that she was not allowed, especially when Howard Donald said he'd have a picture with me and then never showed

As I was in the centre paddock, it seemed quite busy because of the drivers and mechanics, but as soon as you exited the paddock it was empty and you really noticed it when on track, no spectators anywhere other than the chichane and pitwall.

Personally I think Goodwood did a great job and whilst I knew my car was too slow (and probably me too), it was a once in a lifetime opportunity (hopefully!!) and was I extremely happy with 20th and 18th - bring on the Members' Meeting
Old 28 Oct 2020, 17:28 (Ref:4013574)   #130
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Some professional drivers get paid.!
They should,it’s their job.
It’s good to race at Goodwood,Le Mans,Monaco,Spa,the jewels of historic racing but an honour?
It’s expensive so you need to want to do it!
The Goodwood management did well to put it on and it was hopefully a major success.
Let’s hope the major events take place next year.
Historic Motorsport cannot live through another year like this year.
You could build a lot of houses on a patch of land like Goodwood Airfield!!!
Old 28 Oct 2020, 17:43 (Ref:4013576)   #131
GBRM
Veteran

England

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Some professional drivers get paid.!
They should,it’s their job.
It’s good to race at Goodwood,Le Mans,Monaco,Spa,the jewels of historic racing but an honour?
It’s expensive so you need to want to do it!
John, if you can tell me one single driver that was paid to be at Goodwood SpeedWeek, just to race, had nothing to do with team/car preperation, then I will gladly eat my words, but I sincerely doubt there was a single person andI spoke to quite a few 'professionals'.
Us mere mortals had to pay to enter our cars (which is fine, as you would any race) and there were a lot of drivers there that had teams helping (paying for) them and as I said, the VIPs were not paid to be there.
You could argue and say Esteban Gutierrez was paid to be there (as were some of the Supercar drivers), but those racing, well, I would be incredibly surprised.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 19:28 (Ref:4013598)   #132
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
You would be surprised!
It’s irrelevant,professional drivers should be paid.
Not many proper professionals in actual races.
Does it matter or are you harping back to the cricketing times of Players v Gentlemen.
Why is something wrong in people being paid , its not the Ryder Cup!
I don’t understand the point you are trying to make?
Paid or not paid , does it matter?
Old 28 Oct 2020, 20:03 (Ref:4013608)   #133
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Not for me, I enjoy the show.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 20:04 (Ref:4013609)   #134
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Quite!
Old 28 Oct 2020, 20:17 (Ref:4013612)   #135
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It was good enough racing from where I was watching too
Old 28 Oct 2020, 20:46 (Ref:4013618)   #136
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

The Duke puts on the show ,one of the best in the world ,for financial gain.

He deserves every pound he makes!

So he’s a professional!!
Old 28 Oct 2020, 21:46 (Ref:4013625)   #137
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Presumably MasterCard paid handsomely for the weekend but it wouldn't have financed everything. He must have dug deep this time, as an experiment for the future.

What a success though!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Oct 2020, 08:28 (Ref:4013677)   #138
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
You would be surprised!
It’s irrelevant,professional drivers should be paid.
Not many proper professionals in actual races.
Does it matter or are you harping back to the cricketing times of Players v Gentlemen.
Why is something wrong in people being paid , its not the Ryder Cup!
I don’t understand the point you are trying to make?
Lol, you're making the point John, not me, but as you've asked...
I'm not harping back to anything - my late father was a professional in the 1970s, but he did not get paid as his profession after that (other than the odd drive or coaching) and I was answering Derwent's question (as no one else had).
Yes, a professional should be paid (ergo the description), but that does not mean that they get paid for every time they drive a race car (my late father certainly didn't) and as far as I'm aware, no one at Goodwood was either, certainly the professionals I spoke to and had sharing my car were all honoured to be there and were not being paid.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 08:42 (Ref:4013679)   #139
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Your father didn’t get paid for driving me round Silverstone years ago ! Spun at every corner on purpose!
We both left the beer tent at end of paddock to have this jape in a TVR
Dismantled tent when we returned to bar.
Some of the so called professional drivers in Goodwood races were doing all our yesterday drives.
Back in the good old days!
This is what I used to get paid to do merchants.
It’s irrelevant to a good show but my point is that any Goodwood event is one of the worlds outstanding historic race events.
It’s no big deal weather they are paid or not !
I suppose the other question to ask is if they are driving someone else’s car and it gets bent do they pay for damage to be repaired.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 09:47 (Ref:4013690)   #140
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now there is a great name from the past. Gerry certainly added colour to the sport
I'm sure plenty of others have good memories of him. He certainly could drive a variety of cars and still have time for a few drinks afterwards. I wonder how many have learned their style from him?

I do enjoy Goodwood for it's great gesture to the past, while respecting modern times too. It brings back memories for loads of people. Long may it continue. Even without the usual events we've had enough to keep us entertained. It was a great show on the TV and one of the best spectacles of the year, so it's been great to have it back. Of course it's also a nice treat to see current drivers giving the old cars a go, they do very well to keep them in good shape, but they probably have no choice there
Old 4 Nov 2020, 15:34 (Ref:4014872)   #141
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I think I (and I'm far from alone) have been at both ends of the scale and both sides of the fence.

At the end of the day its all a show, and generally for everyones enjoyment, which it usually is. GW do you look after you very well while you're working.