Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:00 (Ref:3779757)   #26
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I just hope wherever Danny goes it's enough to match his talent
Old 10 Nov 2017, 11:08 (Ref:3779759)   #27
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Why not Mr Ricciardo’s other vision... a ride at McLaren instead
If McLaren get a wriggle on and produce a RBR-beating car foe next season, might Mr Ricciardo be tempted there?
Wait. C'mon GTR.

Ricciardo to Renault.

You know it's on!
Old 11 Nov 2017, 01:45 (Ref:3779856)   #28
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say Dan should stay put...put the sword to Max. He has enough of a test there. Needs to know in a straight up fight whether he can match his speed and politically/psychologically in the pits/team over a serious title contest.

I think he won a thrown fight against Seb, who had lost interest, had a poor car and had no reason to fight too hard as triggering the exit clause got him his seat at Fezz
Old 11 Nov 2017, 02:07 (Ref:3779857)   #29
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
I say Dan should stay put...put the sword to Max. He has enough of a test there. Needs to know in a straight up fight whether he can match his speed and politically/psychologically in the pits/team over a serious title contest.
Do you truly believe that after the comments by Red Bull hierarchy regarding wanting Max to be world champion in the next two years, that Dan will get a fair go in the next two years if he was to stay? Honestly?
Old 11 Nov 2017, 02:35 (Ref:3779858)   #30
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
out of curiosity, when were they last asked similar questions about ricciardo, or is it that they've only been asked questions to prompt that response about verstappen?
Old 11 Nov 2017, 03:47 (Ref:3779869)   #31
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Do you truly believe that after the comments by Red Bull hierarchy regarding wanting Max to be world champion in the next two years, that Dan will get a fair go in the next two years if he was to stay? Honestly?
Of course he'll get a fair go. RB isn't Ferrari. Just as much as Webber got a fair chance against Seb.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3780101)   #32
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Daniel Ricciardo will destroy Hamilton just like he did with Vettel and Max. all while sipping on some good ol English tea in the cockpit.
Old 13 Nov 2017, 00:11 (Ref:3780114)   #33
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Of course he'll get a fair go. RB isn't Ferrari. Just as much as Webber got a fair chance against Seb.
But Webber did not get a fair chance aga... ooh, I see what you did there.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3781971)   #34
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
Daniel Ricciardo will destroy Hamilton just like he did with Vettel and Max. all while sipping on some good ol English tea in the cockpit.
He would have a good chance against the off form Hamilton but slim chance against the guy we saw this season!

In terms of outright speed I don't think there's much in it between Danny and Valtteri anyway.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3781987)   #35
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not sure what there is for Mercedes to gain in signing Ricciardo. They've just won both titles, and introducing someone else just introduces drama. I'm not sure why they would do it.

The Webber stuff is amusing though. Vettel was winning world titles with a ridiculous points lead, whilst Webber was struggling to fight off other cars. There's a reason that Vettel got preferential treatment - he was the one getting the job done.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 19:08 (Ref:3782043)   #36
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nothing at all to gain for Mercedes in signing Ricciardo as far as I can see and Daniel will only be jumping from playing second fiddle in one band to the same in another........
Old 21 Nov 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3782045)   #37
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nothing at all to gain for Mercedes in signing Ricciardo
And there we have our winner. The truest statement made in the entirety of this thread.

Old 21 Nov 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3782046)   #38
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
He would have a good chance against the off form Hamilton but slim chance against the guy we saw this season!

In terms of outright speed I don't think there's much in it between Danny and Valtteri anyway.
do you think Hamilton was ''off form'' when he got beaten by Rosberg last year?
Old 21 Nov 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3782047)   #39
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At times, probably yes. I firmly believe that Hamilton fully on form with no car issues would have beaten Rosberg over the season.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 20:32 (Ref:3782058)   #40
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Nothing at all to gain for Mercedes in signing Ricciardo as far as I can see and Daniel will only be jumping from playing second fiddle in one band to the same in another........
They don't while Ferrari only have 1 good driver. But if Ferrari and RB are closer again in 2018 and Merc end up coming third in the constructors because Bottas didn't pull his pants up, that's the reason they'll need to hire a better #2. Also, what if Ricciardo is champ next season with Hamilton second?

But yeah I don't think Ric will be that much faster than Bottas. Then again I didn't think he'd leave Vettel trailing.

It just depends if Merc are a team that want to have 2 great drivers that'll the constructors, but could take points off each other in drivers, or 1 great driver and a #2 that always finishes behind (hello Ferrari). At the moment they seem to prefer the latter option.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 20:50 (Ref:3782062)   #41
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bottas is closer to Vettel than Vettel is to Hamilton. I don’t really see the problem with Bottas performance. Certainly not enough to warrant replacing.

To be honest, this rumour appears to be out of hope Ricciardo can get a Mercedes seat rather than looking for a replacement for an under performing Mercedes driver. If I were Mercedes I'm not sure I'd be interested in the driver that Red Bull doesn't want.
Old 21 Nov 2017, 22:14 (Ref:3782069)   #42
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Not sure what there is for Mercedes to gain in signing Ricciardo. They've just won both titles, and introducing someone else just introduces drama. I'm not sure why they would do it.

The Webber stuff is amusing though. Vettel was winning world titles with a ridiculous points lead, whilst Webber was struggling to fight off other cars. There's a reason that Vettel got preferential treatment - he was the one getting the job done.
Agree to a point - but Webber was right up there, and leading for a fair chunk of 2010 despite things like Vettel getting new front wings.

A bung strategy in Abu Dhabi and a silly crash in Korea cost him more than preferential treatment, and he outdrove Vettel in 2010.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 00:24 (Ref:3782095)   #43
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
Ricciardo will beat Hamilton as easily as he did with Vettel.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 01:20 (Ref:3782098)   #44
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Agree to a point - but Webber was right up there, and leading for a fair chunk of 2010 despite things like Vettel getting new front wings.

A bung strategy in Abu Dhabi and a silly crash in Korea cost him more than preferential treatment, and he outdrove Vettel in 2010.
"he [Webber] outdrove Vettel in 2010" Skam85
By what measure?

2010 Season Vettel V Webber

Comparisons
Outqualification: Vettel 12 to 7
Poles: Vettel 10 Webber 5
Wins: Vettel 5 Webber 4
Championship Points: Vettel 256 Webber 242
Championship Position: Vettel 1 Webber3

Retirements: Vettel 2 car failures 1 collision. Webber 2 collisions (Kovalainen & Rosberg)
Vettel: Australia wheel bearing; Turkey collision Webber (retired); Korea engine failure.
Webber: European GP collision Kovalainen; Korea hit wall then Rosberg.

Crashes
Vettel 1: Turkey collision with Webber.
Webber 5: Australia fell off leading and again defending Hamilton; Turkey collision Vettell (finished 3);
European GP collision hit Kovalainen; Korea fell off hit wall then Rosberg.

More like Vettel comprehensively beat Webber in 2010.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 01:25 (Ref:3782100)   #45
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that Webber felt it necessary to hide his fractured shoulder from his team makes me think, that at the least, MW believed that RB play favorites.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 07:51 (Ref:3782136)   #46
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Webber, he needed a tyre he could lean on like the Bridgestones. he was never as comfortable with the Pirellis and couldnt get the most out of them like Vettel could.

Newey in his book details that Webber was very good with Aero feedback (something he points out they have been missing since) while Vettel looked a lot at getting the most out of the tyres and spent a lot of time with the engineers getting on top of that.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 10:49 (Ref:3782167)   #47
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
If we're going down the route of using single seasons to prove points (Webber didn't out drive Vettel in 2010, but for the sake of discussion we can say he did), then DC beat Webber in 2007 (and also Hakkinen in 2001), and therefore is much better than both! Of course I'm joking, and these single year comparisons aren't worth a huge amount.

Back to the topic of Mercedes and DR - I'm yet to see a good reason why Mercedes would employ him. He's not a bad driver, but I don't know what it would add to Mercedes. And if the discussion is true that DR is now considered the second best at RBR, what use would Mercedes have for him? They'd be employing someone that someone else has already decided isn't good enough to retain?

I just don't see why Mercedes would go this route. I can see why DR fans want it, but the same argument can be made for anyone on the grid.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3782226)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Only one crash for Vettel? Have you forgotten Spa when he lost control and harpooned Button or to an extent Silvertsone by not giving Hamilton enough room at the first corner and puncturing his tyre
Old 22 Nov 2017, 18:54 (Ref:3782244)   #49
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Back to the topic of Mercedes and DR - I'm yet to see a good reason why Mercedes would employ him. He's not a bad driver, but I don't know what it would add to Mercedes. And if the discussion is true that DR is now considered the second best at RBR, what use would Mercedes have for him? They'd be employing someone that someone else has already decided isn't good enough to retain?

I just don't see why Mercedes would go this route. I can see why DR fans want it, but the same argument can be made for anyone on the grid.
i suppose marketability would be a reason.

i actually think DR is a much better and far more aggressive driver (more of a winners instinct if you will) then Bottas...but for arguments sake lets say DR and VB are equal in ability and both seem like good guys so team harmony with LH would remain intact, then surely a global brand like Merc should go with the driver they think will help them sell more cars.

dont like the notion of boiling things down to who has a bigger social media footprint and on its own its not a good reason...but if all other things are equal then surely popularity/branding is a factor to consider.
Old 22 Nov 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3782247)   #50
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i suppose marketability would be a reason.

i actually think DR is a much better and far more aggressive driver (more of a winners instinct if you will) then Bottas...but for arguments sake lets say DR and VB are equal in ability and both seem like good guys so team harmony with LH would remain intact, then surely a global brand like Merc should go with the driver they think will help them sell more cars.

dont like the notion of boiling things down to who has a bigger social media footprint and on its own its not a good reason...but if all other things are equal then surely popularity/branding is a factor to consider.
Marketability is a good point, although Mercedes doesn't seem to care about that. They made that really weird choice to try and make Lewis win the race rather than the title late last year, despite it making them look a bit odd. You're absolutely spot on that DR is more marketable, but that doesn't seem to be a Mercedes thing (ironically it's more of an RBR thing...!). No idea why that would be, tbh.

DR is probably a better driver than Bottas. Certainly more aggressive. But do Mercedes want more drama when they're winning both titles anyway? I'm not so sure. I think they prefer headlines like "Mercedes wins both titles" than "Mercedes drivers feuding". From a cold marketing view, I can see why they'd be happy with Bottas being second best.

DR has another year at RBR, right? So he has time to recover this Verstappen situation and solve it anyway.