Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 3 Mar 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2839519)   #26
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Anyway back on topic...

This is clearly another one of Bernie's 'out there' statements. It creates talk, and that's what he wants. We've seen this on here and in the media over the past few years, and by God, does it work? Yes!

On to the idea itself. My opinion is that it could perhaps work, although it'd certainly be seen as artificial. I think it might be nice if they trialled it at one of the more dull races, perhaps an Abu Dhabi or Bahrain, where there's as good as no chance of rain. The main problem you'd find is accusations of biaseness... I think that's where the main problem would be.

Selby
Old 3 Mar 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2839537)   #27
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Anyway back on topic...

This is clearly another one of Bernie's 'out there' statements. It creates talk, and that's what he wants. We've seen this on here and in the media over the past few years, and by God, does it work? Yes!

On to the idea itself. My opinion is that it could perhaps work, although it'd certainly be seen as artificial. I think it might be nice if they trialled it at one of the more dull races, perhaps an Abu Dhabi or Bahrain, where there's as good as no chance of rain. The main problem you'd find is accusations of biaseness... I think that's where the main problem would be.

Selby
Surely a comedy idea is gonna provoke comedy answers ! Ashley Cole and Raoul Moat - NICE ONE !!!
Old 3 Mar 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2839627)   #28
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyway back on topic...

Selby
Do you really seriously think this idea should even be considered! I certainly agree F1 is not as exciting as it could be, but really sprinklers, come on! On the other hand Bernie may get washed away when they get turned on!
Old 3 Mar 2011, 13:47 (Ref:2839632)   #29
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Why not just flood only parts of the track, at random?
Old 3 Mar 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2839641)   #30
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
How about this? After every ten laps, the driver running in last place gets shot. That'd certainly spice up The Show and crank up the TV ratings - which is what it's all about, isn't it?

Brilliant idea, we can manage that in Texas no problem...
Old 3 Mar 2011, 14:19 (Ref:2839646)   #31
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Joe Saward doesn't see the funny side.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011/...hat-desperate/

Neither do I as it happens but at least he's not talking about reverse grids and success ba.....does Eccelstone really read this board or are you lot joking?
Old 3 Mar 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2839649)   #32
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Do you really seriously think this idea should even be considered! I certainly agree F1 is not as exciting as it could be, but really sprinklers, come on! On the other hand Bernie may get washed away when they get turned on!
I'm merely playing devil's advocate here.

As i'd previously stated, Bernie often does that to fill in some column space - and it's tried and tested. It works. We always respond, as do millions of other forums, as do thousands of other journalists and websites.

I'd be very surprised if this idea ever sees the light of day, but i'm merely stating how it could work if it ever came to fruition.

Selby
--
Quite an interesting article here. Pirelli's reaction, a positive reaction, making some valid points (in my eyes, at least):
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89706

I'm not saying I support the idea - It does feel too contrived. But there's half of me that says F1's meant to be the forefront of technology, and utilising such 'gimmicks' as this could be seen as that, perhaps. Gimmicks have always arguably been a part of Formula One.

Last edited by ECW Dan Selby; 3 Mar 2011 at 14:28.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2839658)   #33
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is certainly one of Bernie's more out there statements. I think he might just be making mischief. Remember a few years ago, when he said about allowing a short cut that could only be used two or three times, so as to aid overtaking on some tracks?
Old 3 Mar 2011, 14:47 (Ref:2839667)   #34
d.rocky
Racer

England
Lola country.
d.rocky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bernie is 80? senial dementia setting in?
how many gallons would it take to wet a track? massive waste of water.
what a stupid idea.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 14:59 (Ref:2839670)   #35
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
How about this? After every ten laps, the driver running in last place gets shot. That'd certainly spice up The Show and crank up the TV ratings - which is what it's all about, isn't it?
Guns on the cars, thats what we need next...
Old 3 Mar 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2839681)   #36
Morgoth
Rookie

United States
Morgoth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They would surely be opening a can of worms as regards bias accusations if this moronic idea ever got off the ground. People already accuse the management of trying to hand the title to Ferarri every time they make any decision already.

The only way to avoid that would be to publicly announce when it was going to "rain" before the race. Before the weekend if they don't want to be accused of being briefed on one team's pit strategy. Oh well I suppose that sort of pre-race announcement of race-disturbing tomfoolery works oh-so-well in another "highly respected" series.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 15:33 (Ref:2839682)   #37
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm not saying I support the idea - It does feel too contrived. But there's half of me that says F1's meant to be the forefront of technology, and utilising such 'gimmicks' as this could be seen as that, perhaps. Gimmicks have always arguably been a part of Formula One.
i have to agree.

in fact i would probably go even further. not because i hate F1 the way it is but because i can see that unless F1 finds a way to be relevant again it does not matter much which 'gimmicks' they try out because sadly its not going to be on my TV anymore anyways.

maybe that is for the best though. if the advertising money starts to disappear maybe the teams and FOM will realize this model is unsustainable and be forced to operate on vastly smaller budgets and we can get back to a formula based on innovation borne out of scarcity. a solution much more preferable to gimmicks.

unfortunately everyone seems content to profess their love for a series that spends billions a year to develop cars and tracks that limit close racing and discourages overtaking while relatively few get super rich off of it...as if that isnt already the biggest gimmick!
Old 3 Mar 2011, 15:35 (Ref:2839683)   #38
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What with this and these new tyres that just go off all of a sudden even if you do protect them, it seems the higher powers' idea of "spicing F1 up" and making it more unpredictable is *insert random funny event here*, instead of actually tackling the real problems

It's so open to abuse, even moreso than NASCAR's debris cautions that magically appear when Dale Jr's about to go a lap down. It's one step away from a button for Charlie to detonate a random engine when he feels like

I didn't take it seriously, like most Bernie ideas, until Pirelli chimed in...now I'm a little concerned. I hope they're just being nice because they're new
Old 3 Mar 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2839724)   #39
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mario Kart "Power Ups" are next.
Old 3 Mar 2011, 17:20 (Ref:2839728)   #40
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm merely playing devil's advocate here.

As i'd previously stated, Bernie often does that to fill in some column space - and it's tried and tested. It works. We always respond, as do millions of other forums, as do thousands of other journalists and websites.

I'd be very surprised if this idea ever sees the light of day, but i'm merely stating how it could work if it ever came to fruition.

Selby
Fair enough and I had realised that, didn't mean to sound too harsh, but sometimes Bernie drives me to dispare!
Old 3 Mar 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2839804)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hook, line and sinker. Bernie wins again.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 01:22 (Ref:2839954)   #42
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he does read tenths...And he's decided his new hobby is (highly elaborate) internet trolling.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2839958)   #43
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's next for Bernie, he'll watch Death Race 2000 or the remake and think "Hmm, this seems to be a good idea!" And the next generation of F1 cars will have offensive and defensive power ups (such as oil slicks, machine guns etc, etc) and run over dummys (I hope) for points!?
Old 4 Mar 2011, 09:35 (Ref:2840027)   #44
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
What's next for Bernie, he'll watch Death Race 2000 or the remake and think "Hmm, this seems to be a good idea!" And the next generation of F1 cars will have offensive and defensive power ups (such as oil slicks, machine guns etc, etc) and run over dummys (I hope) for points!?
So you mean oil slicks, machine guns, tack and nail spewing tanks, ejector seats, bullet proof shields and windscreens, and knock off wheels will come back with roman chariot style extensions..... and the aero rules will make them all look like Aston Martin DB5's....
Old 4 Mar 2011, 10:16 (Ref:2840039)   #45
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
So you mean oil slicks, machine guns, tack and nail spewing tanks, ejector seats, bullet proof shields and windscreens, and knock off wheels will come back with roman chariot style extensions..... and the aero rules will make them all look like Aston Martin DB5's....
I'd certainly pay to see that!
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2840072)   #46
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Does Bernies suggestion go far enough?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ar-enough.html
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:17 (Ref:2840083)   #47
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Does Bernies suggestion go far enough?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ar-enough.html
Snakes on an aquaplane!!!
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:33 (Ref:2840091)   #48
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
Pfft.

That article annoys me somewhat.

The main reasons being that he talks about Bernie being years ahead, and it could be the basis for a good argument. Instead he opts for a bit of fun, which is all well and good, but not when you could have a fantastic debate out of it.

Plus, I know for fact I could write a better article than that.

How do we think "McClaren" will do this year then? :|

Selby
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2840098)   #49
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

How do we think "McClaren" will do this year then? :|
Probably not as well as Reddbul or Ferarri.
Old 4 Mar 2011, 12:40 (Ref:2840099)   #50
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
I know it's an overreaction, but coming from someone who's literally desperate to write Formula One columns, it's a bit of a slap in the face considering it's a complete waste of column space.

Selby
Closed Thread