Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2013, 16:15 (Ref:3330436)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Low noses set to be 'Ugly'

In the great tradition of 'no one saw that one coming' F1 innovations, here is a new one.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111262

Ouch!

Why can't F1 teams deal with these relatively minor things before having them rubber stamped?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3330439)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this paragraph absolutely cracked me up!
Quote:
AUTOSPORT understands that some senior Formula 1 technical personnel have already called for changes to improve aesthetics, but this was not successful due to a lack of agreement on the need to do something.

ahh, democracy. you're a harsh mistress.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3330441)   #3
pureadrenalin
Rookie

pureadrenalin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is wrong with this??? Improve cockpit head protection and you are good to go. Including aero...

Old 12 Nov 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3330449)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
What's wrong with that is we have moved on from very basic aero designs (look at the front wing) to very complex aero designs, and the aero boffins can't unlearn what they have learned.

Last edited by Marbot; 12 Nov 2013 at 16:38.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 17:11 (Ref:3330466)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Reminds me of the 'anteater' McLarens of 2004.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 17:50 (Ref:3330497)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
'Forcing them into ugly designs?' We passed that particular post in 2009 guys, wake up!

The rule makers should stop this stupidity and mandate strict dimensions for the nose using the '95 Ferrari as a template. Very simple.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3330501)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureadrenalin View Post
What is wrong with this??? Improve cockpit head protection and you are good to go. Including aero...

It's awful.

You can't possibly justify designing a beautiful looking F1 car these days.......
Old 12 Nov 2013, 18:04 (Ref:3330504)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I really do think that F1 teams couldn't organise the proverbial ------- in a brewery! Which is a shame, because there might be some really interesting F1 car designs being drawn on the backs of some beer mats.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3330509)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

The rule makers should stop this stupidity and mandate strict dimensions for the nose using the '95 Ferrari as a template. Very simple.
But now you're forcing teams to use what would effectively be spec parts, and that's just such a big 'no-no' in some folks opinions. And it's only your opinion + 1, that currently wants the '95 Ferrari nose as a template. Big problems already.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3330510)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
But now you're forcing teams to use what would effectively be spec parts, and that's just such a big 'no-no' in some folks opinions. And it's only your opinion + 1, that currently wants the '95 Ferrari nose as a template. Big problems already.

No, no problem at all. You just have to accept that PC and I are correct. Simples. Where's the problem?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3330516)   #11
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there appears to be an air of "make the design regulations and not consider the outcomes" about recent regulations

that line drawing on autosport at the moment is quite frankly horrible and i hope no one actually produces that in reality, the stepped nose scenario of last year and the "vanity panel" solution was a prime example.

i do feel that the ferrari posted doesnt really fit the bill, the whole car just looks "fat" in my opinion
Old 12 Nov 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3330517)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No, no problem at all. You just have to accept that PC and I are correct. Simples. Where's the problem?
Well, that's not very democratic, is it. And we all know that democracy works with 100% effectiveness, everywhere, and at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post

i do feel that the ferrari posted doesnt really fit the bill, the whole car just looks "fat" in my opinion
Now there's our first problem.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3330521)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
That is the '94 Ferrari.

The '95 was even prettier.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 18:46 (Ref:3330523)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Democracy? Now there's a novel concept.......
Old 12 Nov 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3330525)   #15
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Well, that's not very democratic, is it. And we all know that democracy works with 100% effectiveness, everywhere, and at all times.

Now there's our first problem.
just in general ive been refered to as "a problem" quite alot!

i think all the cars should look like this, they have dealt very well with the issue of a tapered nose....
Old 12 Nov 2013, 19:00 (Ref:3330527)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
That is the '94 Ferrari.

The '95 was even prettier.
Very true, on both counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
just in general ive been refered to as "a problem" quite alot!

i think all the cars should look like this, they have dealt very well with the issue of a tapered nose....
Oh, I so agree.

Old 12 Nov 2013, 19:08 (Ref:3330532)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Oh come on people, we can't allow discussion of proper looking racing cars into this thread now.......!!!

That Eagle was such a stunner. We'll have chunder in here soon telling us how much he still loves driving it in GPL........
Old 12 Nov 2013, 19:55 (Ref:3330550)   #18
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
But now you're forcing teams to use what would effectively be spec parts, and that's just such a big 'no-no' in some folks opinions.
Don't care.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 20:26 (Ref:3330568)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
why the reg change for next year? was it aimed at creating more passing or just for a more stringent crash test?

anyways not sure what to think.

i dont like the idea of going back to a previous year's model and then having all the cars look the same and then looking the same for each following year.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3330573)   #20
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
why the reg change for next year? was it aimed at creating more passing or just for a more stringent crash test?

anyways not sure what to think.

i dont like the idea of going back to a previous year's model and then having all the cars look the same and then looking the same for each following year.
It's to help reduce the possibility of cars tahing of like Webber at Valencia a few years back. The idea is that the nose will be below the wheel centre line and less likely to lift the car.

However if that low anteater bit is not part of the crash structure it could break off easily.........
Old 12 Nov 2013, 21:02 (Ref:3330581)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
thanks wolfhound
Old 12 Nov 2013, 21:58 (Ref:3330598)   #22
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As the low nose will reduce the airflow into the front of the car and it were to break off in contact with another car thereby improving the airflow under the nose.......

Will there be a lot of cars in front to rear contact at the first corner next year?

Not much use to finger boy though!!!!!
Old 12 Nov 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3330623)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Another case of 'unforeseen consequences' all too ready to bite F1 in the butt.

Another unbiased opinion: "Actually, I think it looks quite nice".
Old 13 Nov 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3330751)   #24
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out what part of the human anatomy the new front end looks like... and having seen the drawings, I think the marketing depts. of the teams are aware of the ridicule and negative PR that F1 will be subjected to if they see the light of day. Can you imagine any sponsor wanting to put their name on the end of droop (!)
Old 13 Nov 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3330760)   #25
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!

If RBR don't paint theirs like this, they are idiots.