Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 28 Jun 2018, 08:09 (Ref:3833411)   #136
mattcanary
Rookie

mattcanary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
The BMWs didn’t seem that great out of the hairpins and their straight line speed seemed down too, in fact looking at the speed trap speeds, the BMWs are among the slowest in a straight line. I too noticed that the Subaru’s seemed far better out of the hairpin.
BMWs have never been a rocketship in a straight line, like the Subarus.

I've always thought that Ford and Toyotas are amongst the quickest in a straight line
Old 28 Jun 2018, 12:56 (Ref:3833434)   #137
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully this article puts to bed some of the nonsense I've seen spread across the forums and Facebook recently;

https://www.touringcartimes.com/2018...success-croft/
Racing in Production BMW Championship #80
@dkwracing on Facebook and Twitter
Old 28 Jun 2018, 13:57 (Ref:3833446)   #138
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Hopefully this article puts to bed some of the nonsense I've seen spread across the forums and Facebook recently;

Interesting article, and definitely seems to be an objective review of the situation.

A couple of points struck me though, particularly given the relationship between BMR and Alan Gow in the past:

“We brought in some aerodynamic upgrades, cooling updates, induction updates and centre of gravity height updates,” Performance Engineer Tony Carrozza explained. “TOCA has been penalising us with the centre of gravity height since 2017”

I hope, (and sure that it will be the case) that they have opted to go down a different route with their application of the ballast/height calculation? The Ballast/Height calculation is a TOCA-imposed measure so I can't see how BMR can bring in updates to that?

Describing the centre of gravity height as a 'penalty' is probably not the best option though?
Old 28 Jun 2018, 14:03 (Ref:3833447)   #139
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is any consideration given to WSR in terms of the COG as their engine being longitudinally mounted is surely the highest mounted engine on the grid?

This was also the case with BMW and Audi in the supertouring days.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 14:14 (Ref:3833451)   #140
auroan
Veteran

Quote:
Is any consideration given to WSR in terms of the COG as their engine being longitudinally mounted is surely the highest mounted engine on the grid?

This was also the case with BMW and Audi in the supertouring days.
eh ? Why do you think having a longitudinal engine means is mounted higher than a transverse engine ?

If anything it's mounted lower than the transverse as it's further back in the bulkhead and behind the front axle. Where as a transverse engine sits marginally above the front axle due to the gearbox/diff configuration.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3833455)   #141
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
eh ? Why do you think having a longitudinal engine means is mounted higher than a transverse engine ?

If anything it's mounted lower than the transverse as it's further back in the bulkhead and behind the front axle. Where as a transverse engine sits marginally above the front axle due to the gearbox/diff configuration.
Supertouring transverse engines were always buried deep in the engine bay. The longitudinal engines were always much much higher.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3833463)   #142
auroan
Veteran

Quote:
Supertouring transverse engines were always buried deep in the engine bay. The longitudinal engines were always much much higher.
This isn't super touring. And I suspect you have it the wrong way round judging at the pictures of super touring era engine bays on google.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 16:43 (Ref:3833469)   #143
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I hope, (and sure that it will be the case) that they have opted to go down a different route with their application of the ballast/height calculation? The Ballast/Height calculation is a TOCA-imposed measure so I can't see how BMR can bring in updates to that?

Describing the centre of gravity height as a 'penalty' is probably not the best option though?
There was a post a few pages back about them raising the car height up. I suspect the CoG "penalty" is a combination of ridge height and weight so if they increase one they can decrease the other and still be within the rules.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3833486)   #144
RS67
Racer

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This isn't super touring. And I suspect you have it the wrong way round judging at the pictures of super touring era engine bays on google.
The Mondeo transverse V6 was mounted on it's side and so low and far back in the engine bay, the drive shaft ran between the cylinder heads.
Old 28 Jun 2018, 19:37 (Ref:3833489)   #145
crmalcolm
Veteran

Italy
crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!crmalcolm is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer65 View Post
There was a post a few pages back about them raising the car height up. I suspect the CoG "penalty" is a combination of ridge height and weight so if they increase one they can decrease the other and still be within the rules.
Yes, when the CoG changes were introduced, it was a sliding scale of ride height vs ballast. Reading between the lines of comments from BMR since that point, it seems that they initially opted for a higher ride height. Perhaps they have now dropped the car and taken the ballast - possibly because they have been able to save weight elsewhere and can now get a better balance?
Old 29 Jun 2018, 12:47 (Ref:3833584)   #146
BobJones
Racer

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Importantly, it highlights how much of an engineering and development race the BTCC is. Yes, common parts, blah blah blah, but also there are still elements that need developing by teams.
Old 29 Jun 2018, 13:33 (Ref:3833592)   #147
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!S griffin has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly, there will always be ways to make the car better and that is part of the fascination of motorsport