Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Nov 2004, 21:50 (Ref:1150941)   #1
simonb
Rookie

simonb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1950's & 1960's Lotus Eleven race results

I'm sure some of you guys can help me with this!!.

I have recently acquired a Lotus Eleven Series 2. I know the identity of the first two owners....both of whom are still around....I'm trying to trace the cars full history but have run into a problem.

The car was delivered in late 1957 and driven by the first owner until late 1958 at which point he changed to a lotus 15.

The second owner appears to have sold the car around 1960ish but he cant remember exactly when or to who!.

Does anyone know of a good source of UK club level race results for circuits such as silverstone, oulton park,mallory, brands etc from 1957/58/59 and into the 1960's.

The car re-emerges in 1978 and has been slowly restored since. It is about 80% complete.

Any help would be massively appreciated in trying to fill an 18 year gap!.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 23:15 (Ref:1151026)   #2
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This site has a few. If you contact him, he may have more.
Darren Gaplin who I think posts here has a website with various results. He also has quite a bit that's not yet published.
I hope this helps.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 07:44 (Ref:1151203)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If the car is "known" you should have no problems tracing its history, you could try Historic Lotus Register or Graham Capel as they are both good reference points. What chassis number is it and are you going to run it in UK? I have just sold mine and would be happy to pass on what information I can.
For your engine dont try and save money - send it to either Dick Crosthwaite or Tony Mantle. They are both excellant engine builders but expensive, and spend time on the set up, it will pay rich dividends. I have a spare head left over which I can sell to you if you are interested.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 16:20 (Ref:1151716)   #4
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Simon. The 'only' authority is Vic Thomas of the HLR. His te number is 01953 860508. Good luck!!
Old 12 Nov 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1151742)   #5
simonb
Rookie

simonb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, thanks for the reply.
The car is known to Vic and I've been in touch a few times regarding the stuff that we know about. There is however a void that can only be filled by research (by me!), I was running low on ideas - hence my posting.

Do you (or anyone else) know of a source of race results or entries in the late 50's / early 60's?. I have used the excellent Czech website listed above and there are some details of my car on the bigger races. It's the smaller club stuff that i need though. It would only appear to have done major events with the 1st owner when new. It was run by Innes Ireland Ltd during that first season (57/58). Other than buying 10 years worth of old Autosports I'm probably stuffed!.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1151766)   #6
David McKinney
Veteran

David McKinney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's know the driver's name (PM me of you prefer) and I should be able to help
Old 13 Nov 2004, 10:10 (Ref:1152284)   #7
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may also be able to help (I provided a lot of the UK info on Martin's wspr site referred to above).
RAP
Old 13 Nov 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1152429)   #8
Neptune
Racer

United States
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Neptune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess I don't understand what all the secrecy is about, unless you have some serious doubts to the cars provenence. If the car is a legitimate Lotus Eleven, w/ a chassis tag, then why not let us actually help you. I own the Keith Hall 1958 Eleven, and would have no problem with anyone looking over all I have on the car. Unfortunately, most of the information on Lotus Eleven I have is concentrated in '58 and '59 when my car was in the UK.
Old 15 Nov 2004, 07:49 (Ref:1153706)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you can prove that your car is the same car as the one that raced in the late 50's it shouldnt matter that the 60's history is sketchy as it would have been an uncompetitive club car at that point. If your concern is in respect to FIA papers speak to Marcus Pye. Alternatively I am sure someone liek Adrian at Legends would hold your hand (for a fee) and help you get the papers (so long as everything stacks up!)if you need any help pm me