Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 26 Feb 2020, 10:02 (Ref:3959965)   #176
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Watched DVD F vs F today, released in Australia, overall, so cringeworthy in parts it brings the whole film down...sadly disappointing, despite some exciting scenes
Must agree some parts where Holiwoodised but very good film, didn't realise Enzo attended the race but also didn't realise the seven liter engine Ford used was an alloy block made especially for LM or have I got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 26 Feb 2020, 13:01 (Ref:3959997)   #177
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Those in-car comments (and *putting sunglasses on while driving*, or looking directly in the eyes of other driver) were pretty cringeworthy. Just inane and completely unneeded. The decision to add these is all the more nonsensical when the rest of the movie is pretty serious and respectful.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3960013)   #178
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As Eric said, you had to expect some Hollywoodisation. But I'm surprised any racing fan would find the film very disappointing unless the lack of historical inaccuracy and pandering to the non-motor racing punters is just too much to bear.... I personally think we should be grateful they made the movie in the first place instead of giving us another slice of war and gore....
Old 26 Feb 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3960017)   #179
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i enjoyed it.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 15:59 (Ref:3960020)   #180
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep. Me too.
Old 26 Feb 2020, 16:43 (Ref:3960025)   #181
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Indeed, it was nice this story was shown to the world with a great cast. As my brother said, they could have romanticised it and not had the ending where Miles died, but they remained true to the story. They kept it factual in all the major areas
Old 26 Feb 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3960045)   #182
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, a reasonable number of them.....
Old 26 Feb 2020, 22:31 (Ref:3960087)   #183
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Well, a reasonable number of them.....
I enjoyed it and as said,a few truths where stretched but Ford did it and a great justice was done to a driver I had very little prior knowledge of in Ken Miles, turns out To be a great test driver and an even better race driver, I did enjoyed it greatly.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 26 Feb 2020, 22:33 (Ref:3960089)   #184
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The clincher/final insult for me was a Stewart Warner speedometer showing 220 miles per hour...did John Wyer/Lola really fit 'merican "dials"...(my trade was Instrument Maker)...

As for Motorsport fans having to be thankful for any old crap thrown our way...well no! This filum could have been so, so much better without the fender bending and Hollywood added "drama" scenes...Hollywood just can't help themselves...

In an otherwise well funded sport...why do we get B Grade stuff like this thrown at us?

The gorgeous Caitriona Balfe (love her in Outlander) was a little wooden...but that's probably all the script allowed...

NEXT!
Old 27 Feb 2020, 03:48 (Ref:3960109)   #185
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As Eric said, you had to expect some Hollywoodisation. But I'm surprised any racing fan would find the film very disappointing unless the lack of historical inaccuracy and pandering to the non-motor racing punters is just too much to bear.... I personally think we should be grateful they made the movie in the first place instead of giving us another slice of war and gore....
^ this.

I've struggled to get my kids into motor racing, but took my 14 year old son to see it. While he's seen many a comic book movie, he thoroughly enjoyed the film, and he gained a new appreciation and admiration for Shelby and motor sport in general. Overall plus, plus for me.
Old 27 Feb 2020, 05:24 (Ref:3960115)   #186
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One aspect which I feel is also important to remember is that racing movie successes like Rush and Ford vs. Ferrari, proves that there is an audience for this kind of movies. If the box office is a success a new racing movie is bound to happen, simply for the money.
The more racing movies which will be made, the higher chance for a movie with high realism.

So even though the movie has its flaws, like Rush, it will hopefully pave the way for more movies of the same kind, where the directors dare to go even more real/thruthful.
Old 27 Feb 2020, 09:58 (Ref:3960142)   #187
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Another thing I would like to add is that it didn't feel overlong for a 2 and a half hour film. Most of the time with films of that length you get too much padding, but I felt the story moved along nicely and felt everything was relevant to the main story
Old 27 Feb 2020, 10:50 (Ref:3960149)   #188
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
some of the comments seem to be very strange, it was a good film not a good documentary, the die hard fans should understand that the sport can not survive on them only and to attract new fans and keep the sport going then films like this are vital to do that, nit picking does nothing but make me fear for the future, come on folks enjoy things don't kill the goose just because it is not exactly what you want it to be
Old 27 Feb 2020, 11:03 (Ref:3960154)   #189
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
The clincher/final insult for me was a Stewart Warner speedometer showing 220 miles per hour...did John Wyer/Lola really fit 'merican "dials"...(my trade was Instrument Maker)...
Probably. It was an American car, after all.... I doubt that Wyer had much choice over the dials (or any great interest in which were chosen). Funnily enough, he doesn't mention them in his book.....
Old 27 Feb 2020, 19:18 (Ref:3960227)   #190
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
some of the comments seem to be very strange, it was a good film not a good documentary, the die hard fans should understand that the sport can not survive on them only and to attract new fans and keep the sport going then films like this are vital to do that, nit picking does nothing but make me fear for the future, come on folks enjoy things don't kill the goose just because it is not exactly what you want it to be
You took the words right out of my mouth!
Old 28 Feb 2020, 11:10 (Ref:3960308)   #191
S griffin
Veteran

Another thing I found fascinating was that Stuart Lewis-Evans’ fatal crash was mentioned, so obviously it shows they had done quite a lot of research
Old 29 Feb 2020, 08:22 (Ref:3960566)   #192
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Probably. It was an American car, after all.... I doubt that Wyer had much choice over the dials (or any great interest in which were chosen). Funnily enough, he doesn't mention them in his book.....

I cant say I have noticed speedometers of any nationality in most racing cars
Old 29 Feb 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3960619)   #193
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
True enough!
Old 29 Feb 2020, 15:19 (Ref:3960625)   #194
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Smiffs or nuffink.
Old 1 Mar 2020, 22:13 (Ref:3960879)   #195
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I cant say I have noticed speedometers of any nationality in most racing cars
and you call yourself an anorak Lad!!??
Old 1 Mar 2020, 23:22 (Ref:3960882)   #196
S griffin
Veteran

Who said anything about being an anorak, not everyone on here is
Old 1 Mar 2020, 23:50 (Ref:3960886)   #197
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think they are just having a conversation! Maybe even a little bit of fun and not just posting because the feel they have to.

Besides:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
... Some were only used once but it is still fascinating stuff for an anorak like me .
Old 2 Mar 2020, 05:44 (Ref:3960916)   #198
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Humour is wasted on some...
Old 2 Mar 2020, 11:01 (Ref:3960976)   #199
S griffin
Veteran

I will get there some day
Old 2 Mar 2020, 16:47 (Ref:3961034)   #200
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I just had not gotten around to watching this. A close friend (who is not into motorsports) watched it recently and was asking me questions about it. I had to admit that I had yet to see it. So I watched it this past weekend.

As a movie, I felt it was very good. As mentioned by others it hit the standard cliches (lots of gear shifting, pushing the throttle down just a bit more to pass, giving other drivers the "stink eye" as you slowly pass them, over the top "rubbin is racin", etc.)

The question from the non-motorsports friend was interesting. Such as... Why did the Shelby guy get much credit? It seems that Miles basically built that car? My teen son watched it and while my son was interested in the entire Enzo vs. Henry II thing (and he knew the history in advance), I am sure the larger importance of the character "Lee Iacocca" to US auto manufacturing was completely lost on him.

I asked both my kids and my friends two questions...

1. They show the car just showing up at Shelby's location. Where do you think it came from? Their answer... Hmm, I don't know.

2. How many GT40 cars do you think where in the 1966 LeMans race? Their answer... Four? I think the correct answer is eight mk2 and a few mk1. So it wasn't clear in the movie how many cars were thrown at the race and how many of those didn't finish.

Anyhow, as already noted, it was a movie and not a documentary and my friend did enjoy it. Enough so that she was curious to consider paying attention to the 2020 race!

Richard