Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Mar 2014, 18:40 (Ref:3385256)   #1
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernies V8 series

So who is doing the first round of Bernies V8 series at Oulton Park ???

Any provisional entry lists yet ?
Old 1 Apr 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3387553)   #2
John Wilson
Rookie

John Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernies V'8s

Hi Graham

I Spoke to Bernie today and he said he has got twenty entries so far.I am entered in the MG along with two more B V8's. Also quite a few from SRGT and the rest a mixture of Camaro's, Mustangs, TR7V8 , Cobras and Morgan +8s.
Should be a great meeting in front of the GT crowd.
Are you entered?
Old 2 Apr 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3388019)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
That's good John, I wont be going as Oulton is too far for me and I have made a concious decision not to do the long distance events any more with my shoe string budget for the same reason I am not doing CTCRC Croft meeting, about 150 miles too far for me!
Old 3 Apr 2014, 22:15 (Ref:3388468)   #4
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilson View Post
Hi Graham

I Spoke to Bernie today and he said he has got twenty entries so far.I am entered in the MG along with two more B V8's. Also quite a few from SRGT and the rest a mixture of Camaro's, Mustangs, TR7V8 , Cobras and Morgan +8s.
Should be a great meeting in front of the GT crowd.
Are you entered?
John,

As Big Al has intimated, it is one helluva long journey, and is going to be around a grand to do !!!

Everything is filled in and ready to enter .......... I need to be convinced.

I,m not happy about the "blackmail "aspect that if we do not do this meeting we possibly will not be accepted for the next race.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 03:06 (Ref:3388513)   #5
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never been to the UK and I'm not too strong on UK geography, but i'm curious. If you live in one end of England, how far is it to the farthest English race track?
Old 4 Apr 2014, 05:43 (Ref:3388530)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
David, from say London to the farthest English track it would be 260 miles, not far in comparison with Australia but that distance can take 8 to10 hours during the day
Old 4 Apr 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3388559)   #7
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
David, from say London to the farthest English track it would be 260 miles, not far in comparison with Australia but that distance can take 8 to10 hours during the day
David,

Tim is spot on with his reply.

Just two weeks ago I left my home on the Norfolk /Suffolk border to go to near Oulton Park. Leaving at exactly 4am to beat the worst of traffic (or so I thought) I arrived at 10.30, and that was with a fast estate car.
With my smallish, but far less nimble, race car transporter I could easily add on another 1 to 2 hours to that, possibly more, as this one day (for our two 20 minute races only) meeting is over the Easter period, a particularly heavy traffic time.

Not far in Australian terms, but it is a particularly tiring and sometimes very frustrating journey to this particular neck of the UK.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 08:20 (Ref:3388579)   #8
John Wilson
Rookie

John Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I understand the cost and travel problems but in order for these series to be a success I think we need to support them. Living up north I have done my fair share of travelling south to compete in various championships over the last twenty years, so I know what it is like. With regards to the "blackmailing" I am not sure what has been said but I do not see how the entries cannot give preference to the people who are supporting the series.
Any way getting away from the politics for a minute. Oulton park is probably one of the best circuits in the country if not Europe and I for one would not miss a chance to race at such a big meeting. So for my money I would get it entered.
I seriously do hope you enter as I am sure either of your cars would look great and be made very welcome.
See you for a cuppa
Old 4 Apr 2014, 09:46 (Ref:3388607)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
John, I think the blackmail graham refers to is preference for Brands Hatch V8 fest will be given to those that have entered other races, fair enough in my book even though it will **** me up as I'd like to do Brands. My reasons for not doing Oulton are distance, the time it will take to get home on a BH and I have to be up for work at 3.30am, cost, it's going to be the best part of a grand to do it, I don't like Oulton and lastly I have to work that day so all in all I'm happy to miss it.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 12:59 (Ref:3388669)   #10
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
modes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My race entry is in. Looking forward to it. Oulton's fantastic and its a track we usually have a good day at. Its a big meeting too so should be good for a wander round the paddock.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 13:10 (Ref:3388677)   #11
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
John, I think the blackmail graham refers to is preference for Brands Hatch V8 fest will be given to those that have entered other races, fair enough in my book even though it will **** me up as I'd like to do Brands. My reasons for not doing Oulton are distance, the time it will take to get home on a BH and I have to be up for work at 3.30am, cost, it's going to be the best part of a grand to do it, I don't like Oulton and lastly I have to work that day so all in all I'm happy to miss it.

Don't like Oulton????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Burn the heretic!

Hope some of you do get up to one of the best circuits in the UK - some of us up here are a little fonder of it than having to do the traipse down to the over-crowded South to park on the M25 before getting dizzy going round the teeny-weeny Brands Indy.......(GP circuits worth it, though!)

Maybe I should suggest that Bernie's circus goes to Anglesey next year.....that's possibly almost the equal of Oulton
Old 4 Apr 2014, 13:34 (Ref:3388686)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the explanation chaps. I compete in the Heritage Touring Car series for FIA Group A Touring Cars & CAMS Group C Touring Cars from 1973-1984 (somewhere between Group 1 & 2).

Round 1 was at Phillip Island, 1200 miles from home, took me 25 hours of driving time, over 2 1/2 days. Round 2 is at Eastern Creek, it is 600 miles from home and will take 12 1/2 hours. I'm looking forward to Round 3 at Morgan Park, it is just 125 miles from home and will take only 3 hours to get there.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3388693)   #13
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Thanks for the explanation chaps. I compete in the Heritage Touring Car series for FIA Group A Touring Cars & CAMS Group C Touring Cars from 1973-1984 (somewhere between Group 1 & 2).

Round 1 was at Phillip Island, 1200 miles from home, took me 25 hours of driving time, over 2 1/2 days. Round 2 is at Eastern Creek, it is 600 miles from home and will take 12 1/2 hours. I'm looking forward to Round 3 at Morgan Park, it is just 125 miles from home and will take only 3 hours to get there.
My daughter lives 100K from you and she gets a plane everywhere apart from going to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Don't like Oulton????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Burn the heretic!

Maybe I should suggest that Bernie's circus goes to Anglesey next year.....that's possibly almost the equal of Oulton
Yeah but it is in Cheshire so I have an excuse. As for Anglesey, that's further than Spa and twice as long to get to.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:45 (Ref:3388705)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
The wages in Aus are also huge compared to here bottom line is I can't afford it but if anyone out there desperately wants to see old Bumble out there well stump up some sponsorship and we are in!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:49 (Ref:3388709)   #15
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The Coastal layout at Anglesey is the best circuit in the country and well worth the trip.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 14:52 (Ref:3388710)   #16
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
The wages in Aus are also huge compared to here bottom line is I can't afford it but if anyone out there desperately wants to see old Bumble out there well stump up some sponsorship and we are in!
Al, no sponsorship, but I'll let you borrow my lump hammer again to adjust the suspension tops on the Camaro... isn't that temptation enough to make it up the road North? Oulton's paddock's flat too so you should get a good steering set up...
Old 4 Apr 2014, 16:01 (Ref:3388730)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No that's with the Mad Max Camaro not Bumble!
Old 4 Apr 2014, 16:33 (Ref:3388739)   #18
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
It depends what you compare the wages to Al, they're only a lot better if you don't convert back to GBP but then the cost of living is comparably dearer than here.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3388744)   #19
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm currently in limbo whether to do it - originally I wasn't as I'm presently skint after changing careers and also the car needs some body work doing. However, I'm trying to be supportive so I am looking at ways of funding it but I've left everything a bit late (only sent my licence application off this week!!).

Lots of ifs and buts to sort out.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 4 Apr 2014, 17:05 (Ref:3388747)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Wages in Aus are a lot better sorry. The minimum wage has become the norm for many now in the UK. I have my daughter and partners son living with me at moment and both returned from Aus at Christmas and both say the same.
Old 4 Apr 2014, 20:49 (Ref:3388800)   #21
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
I'm currently in limbo whether to do it - originally I wasn't as I'm presently skint after changing careers and also the car needs some body work doing. However, I'm trying to be supportive so I am looking at ways of funding it but I've left everything a bit late (only sent my licence application off this week!!).

Lots of ifs and buts to sort out.
It can get like that. I've pulled my V8 back out the Landrover so I know its ok. Its been running well all winter!
Old 5 Apr 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3388930)   #22
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

I'm with Andrew & Wayne, if you don't use it you will lose it.

As my (long overdue) planned engine rebuild hasn't happened I put the bottom hose back on, filled her up with water, changed the two offending spark plugs & fired my XJS up last weekend.

So, subject to a check over this week - I'm in & may even do CSCC at Snetterton next week as a warm up

I just don't get the distance thing & the alleged blackmail comment. The cost of travelling the extra few miles is marginal when you consider all the other costs and nearly every series I know with a premier event gives priority to racers who attend other races. Some even stipulate a minimum level of participation to be eligible to enter the premier event & no one calls that blackmail.

I suppose you just can't please all the people all the time...
Old 5 Apr 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3389067)   #23
modes
Racer

England
Harrogate
Just been looking at the Oulton Park website. They're using a grand photo of Ian Baldock's white Mustang and a good profile of a really nice white MG with a pink stripe over, tucked in just behind..... mmm nice one! Wonder who that chap in the white and pink MG could be (cough, cough!).
Old 5 Apr 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3389068)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
As my (long overdue) planned engine rebuild hasn't happened I put the bottom hose back on, filled her up with water, changed the two offending spark plugs & fired my XJS up last weekend.

So, subject to a check over this week - I'm in & may even do CSCC at Snetterton next week as a warm up
Steady on Cliff, that is almost a complete rebuild for the Jag......

Maybe see you at Snett.....
Old 5 Apr 2014, 19:43 (Ref:3389073)   #25
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Apart from anything else I have a clutch I need to look at on my car and some body damage to sort out, one can only do so much as an enthusiastic amatuer who pays for and prepares his own car single handedly with no help or sponsorship.