Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 18 Dec 2005, 09:03 (Ref:1485980)   #1
jonchurch
Rookie

United Kingdom
in the sticks
jonchurch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fuel swirl tank for gt4

Would there be any use to fitting a fuel swirl pot to a Toyota gt4 running over 400 bhp.

Does the stock fuel tank have a built in swirl tank.

My gut feeling is to fit a swirl pot between the tank and fuel rail for added protection for any tuned engine set-u, would this be wise..

Would this be a sensible angle of attack, or does the toyota have one fitted from stock.

thanks
Old 18 Dec 2005, 09:16 (Ref:1485985)   #2
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which gt4 have you got ?
the st185 or the st205 ??/
I THINK the st205 might have it as standard but dont quote me on that.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1486004)   #3
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonchurch
Would there be any use to fitting a fuel swirl pot to a Toyota gt4 running over 400 bhp.
My gut feeling is to fit a swirl pot between the tank and fuel rail for added protection for any tuned engine set-u, would this be wise..
i dunno anything about these cars so i'm speaking generally here,

power output has nothing to do with needing a swirl pot, thats purely down to if you suffer fuel surge when cornering, if you dont then you dont need one, although many cars even with manufactures built in pots can surge when the tank fuel level is low.

a swirl pot on its in the fuel line on its own wont help without an extra fuel pump. think of the swirl pot as a baby fuel tank, which is kept topped up by a low pressure pump that takes its fuel from the main tank, your main fuel pump should take its feed from the swirl pot, the returned fuel from the engine should go back into the swirl pot, and there should be a return from the top of the swirl pot to the main tank,

this design cannot suffer from fuel surge, as the swirl pot usually 1 litre capacity, is too small to allow the fuel to run away from the outlet to the pump, even if the low pressure pump in your main tank does get starved of fuel, together with surplace fuel returning from the engine it has enough fuel in it to keep the engine feed until the low pressure pump is supplying fuel again.

with such a system you can almost run the car totally bone dry on fuel before surge sets in and starves the engine.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 18 Dec 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1486022)   #4
jonchurch
Rookie

United Kingdom
in the sticks
jonchurch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for your replies.

I understand the principles of a fuel swirl / surge tank, and the way it functions.

My question remains, would a modified Toyota gt4 st185 & st205 have a built in type from factory.

I find it hard to believe that a stock road car can supply the increase in fuel demand without supporting mods, when handling and performance improvements have been implemented.
Old 18 Dec 2005, 20:54 (Ref:1486224)   #5
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonchurch

I find it hard to believe that a stock road car can supply the increase in fuel demand without supporting mods, when handling and performance improvements have been implemented.
you never know, the fuel pump on my car is a std bmw e30 325 170bhp one, i thought i would need a bigger one until i checked its fuel delivery rates, it pumped enough fuel for 504bhp!

re swirl pot, silly suggestion time, have you tried removing the sender/pump unit and looking in the tank?

have you been suffering fuel surge? if not then i dont see why your worried about it.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 21 Dec 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1487784)   #6
quick_dry
Rookie

Australia
Sydney, Australia
quick_dry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
could you take it to a skidpan or somewhere, test it out cornering hard at various fuel loads and see whether it needs one or not?

I know that high powered supra's do need a swirl pot added or they can surge during hard cornering, not sure about GT4s.