Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Aug 2004, 19:38 (Ref:1053467)   #1
Barry Boor
Rookie

Barry Boor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rebuilding Nathan sports cars

As there seem to be many very well informed people on this forum, may I please ask if anyone knows whereabouts in Wales (for I am told it IS in Wales) there is a small workshop rebuilding (or reproducing) Costin Nathan sports cars?

I have heard of this matter from several different sources and I can tell you that Roger Nathan himself is VERY interested to find out more - for purely non-commercial reasons, I hasten to add...
Old 2 Aug 2004, 09:03 (Ref:1053788)   #2
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So for legal reasons then?

Steve McQueen.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1053878)   #3
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Intriguing - perhaps this explains how the Costin Nathan which was bent at Classic LM 2002 got put back together so bessed fast.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1054444)   #4
Barry Boor
Rookie

Barry Boor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"So for legal reasons then?"

Absolutely NOT!
Old 2 Aug 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1054480)   #5
j w davies
Rookie

j w davies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i don't know the answer but does anybody have a list of the cars Frank Costin produced in his works in Dollgelau North Wales? Costin Amigo, Marcos Ugly Duckling etc.
Mike Abbas is currently selling a Costin Gt which has recently been rebuilt by the "Costin Car Company Ltd" maybe he would know 01357 470034.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1055199)   #6
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
frank´s plywood products were the xylon, the ugly duckling,
the costin sports-racer, the costin nathan, the protos FII, and finally the costin amigo.
the costin at mike abbas is unfortunately a complete new car, but it was built under the eyes of frank, when he was still alive. so it got a changed chassis number, for not beeing mixed up with the original costin nathans of the sixties.
if you have questions for rebuilding / restoring or reproducing a car, especially frank´s plywood chassis, you may contact me.
klaus
Attached Thumbnails
costin  5ookm rennen.jpg  
Old 3 Aug 2004, 19:40 (Ref:1055462)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know of a race costin in Kent that is slowly being restored
Old 9 Aug 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1061549)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I used to work for Nathans in the 60's for a while, and worked ocassionaly on the GT's but more on the Imps. I remember I used to go down to a boatyard in Eel Pie Island on the Thames at Twickenham to pick up the wooden monococues (sorry can't spell I am a printer and signwriter). I was in attendance at one of the last races at Crystal Palace when we were developing the BMW engined car, if I remember rightly the car blew a brand new engine when an oil pipe worked loose after we had worked on the car all night. No guesses for who got the blame for that as I was the youngest there but I knew it was'nt me and also knew who it was and he knew too but there you go.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1061558)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I will tell you another funny story about Frank Costin, he designed the Nathan Imp suspension and when Roger wanted to drag the car out of mothballs for some tasty Dutch bird (Leana Engleman?)to race (I think he had the hots for her) he asked me to look it over and see if I could do anything about the dreadful bumpsteer. I swear I fixed the thing in a few hours much to everyones surprise, I simply turned the steering arms upside down and changed them over so the rack ran level with the bottom wishbones, it was so exact and worked so well I am conviced old Frank had designed it like this but things had got mixed up during the construction of the car, sometimes the obvious is hard to see unless fom a fresh pair of eyes.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 14:16 (Ref:1067071)   #10
spiess marcel
Rookie

spiess marcel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rebuilding Costin-Nathan Sportscars

Hello Klaus,
Could you please send me your E-mail adress.J am the ownwer of the ex Juck Graemiger Costin-Nathan and would like to talk with you.Regards Marcel
spiessmarcel@hotmail.com
Old 23 Aug 2004, 08:48 (Ref:1074913)   #11
ABB
Rookie

ABB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello Barry. I've been trying to contact you for two years, but Roger Nathan supplied the wrong details! I wanted to update your register details. Klaus is right about brief construction of modern Costins in Wales (including the Mike Abbas car, now sold to a new owner who is livid at the misrepresentation), but this finished about 5 years ago, and all the moulds, formers etc are now near Newport Pagnell.
Old 2 Jan 2006, 07:37 (Ref:1493259)   #12
Bruce Mansell
Rookie

Bruce Mansell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi fellas,
I have just bought the second Costin-Nathan Imp sports racer from Hansuli Buchi in Switzerland. It has been in his garage unbtouched for nearly 30 years, pevious owners were Klaus Edel and Jean Hauser who purchased it new from RNR. It arrives at my workshop this week after a bit of a sea voyage, seemed appropriate for a plywood tub car!!! Roger Nathan is aware of the purchase and will likely drive it in December in the Tasman Revival Meeting at Eastern Creek here in Sydney.
cheers
Bruce Mansell
Old 2 Jan 2006, 10:18 (Ref:1493331)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome Bruce; hope you enjoy 10-Tenths!
Old 2 Jan 2006, 14:35 (Ref:1493486)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I would be interested to know what the condition of the marine ply tub is after all these years as they were a beautiful work of art as I recollect, if you can give us an update when it hits dry land.
Old 4 Jan 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1494773)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABB
Klaus is right about brief construction of modern Costins in Wales (including the Mike Abbas car, now sold to a new owner who is livid at the misrepresentation), but this finished about 5 years ago,
I remember seeing this car for sale for a very long time at a tempting price and along with everyone else presumed there was a story! With the change of rules re FIA papers at least the new owner should be able to race it but even so its not quite what he prehaps thought he had bought!