Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1696089)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Provisional 2007 Calendar

Quote:
The FIA have confirmed that the San Marino and European Grands Prix will be dropped from the Formula One calendar next year.
The sport's governing body published the list of dates for next year's schedule on Tuesday following a fax vote of the World Motor Sport Council.
The return of the Belgian Grand Prix on September 16 had been expected to force one race off the calendar, but it appears that both the San Marino and European events have gone.
Imola had needed to upgrade its facilities to have a chance of hosting the fourth race, while the European venue has been dropped after Nurburgring and Hockenheim organisers decided that it would be best to alternate one race in Germany.

Australia 18 March
Malaysia 08 April
Bahrain 15 April
Spain 13 May
Monaco 27 May
Canada 10 June
United States 17 June
France 01 July
United Kingdom 08 July
Germany 22 July
Hungary 05 August
Turkey 26 August
Italy 09 September
Belgium 16 September
China 30 September
Japan 07 October
Brazil 21 October
So Imola, Suzuka and Hockenheim are gone, by the looks, despite the fact that at Imola, their spending millions to upgrade it to keep F1 there
Old 29 Aug 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1696093)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Ironically I feel that its down to the changes that the FIA forced upon Imola post 1994
that the FIA now decide to drop it to a certain degree.
Its now an awful circuit, and any track changes that are taking place are too little too late.

Did I hear someone mention that as well as Spa there is another race penned in for Japan with Mt Fuji?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 09:58 (Ref:1696099)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It was rumoured - a Pacific GP at Suzuka in April, but I think that's looking less likely now
Old 29 Aug 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1696148)   #4
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesn't look like Suzuka will find a way back onto the calendar, which is a real shame because it is the best F1 track on the current calendar, and I reckon it is better than Spa-Francorchamps now. I think it is a shame that a somewhat emasculated Fuji track will take the place of what is a unique racetrack in Suzuka.

Although I do not like the Imola track, it is a pity it is not on the calendar, even if races got a bit dull I still liked seeing F1 races there.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1696193)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Imola might get its round back when it gets its new facilities.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Aug 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1696195)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's sad to see Suzuka is out of the F1 calendar, it's sort of a temple of racing there...
Old 29 Aug 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1696205)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's a 4 week gap between Bahrain and Spain, so wouldn't be suprised to see a GP fill that in.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 12:09 (Ref:1696217)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I actually forgot that Suzuka had been given the chop.

So we lose 1 great track (Suzuka) , but gain another back (Spa), lose 2 average tracks (Imola & Nurburgring) and gain an awful one (Fuji).
Old 29 Aug 2006, 12:42 (Ref:1696236)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
The venue of the German race is most likely going to be Nurby, so we lose Hock (for a year)

There is also possibly space before Melbourne, as it's such an early start, as well as between Bahrain and Spain (Imola, or, as has been rumoured before, Suzuka?)
Old 29 Aug 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1696248)   #10
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab

There is also possibly space before Melbourne, as it's such an early start, as well as between Bahrain and Spain (Imola, or, as has been rumoured before, Suzuka?)
Don't you mean such a late start? We usually start weekend near 8th March and have Malaysia weekend near 22nd March.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1696256)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Either way... Melbourne has the season opener again! Woohoo!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Aug 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1696268)   #12
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethhardie
Don't you mean such a late start?
Yeah - typo

I don't think we'll see a race before Melbourne, seen as it's effectively been guaranteed race 1 for the future, but it's not definite, as far as I know

Why make the start later? If they made it earlier, it cuts testing time, and means we're able to have more races
Old 29 Aug 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1696270)   #13
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab
It was rumoured - a Pacific GP at Suzuka in April, but I think that's looking less likely now
Somehow I have the feelings that they never really intended to organize a Pacific GP. It was only keep the fans calm.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1696292)   #14
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37159

Hockenheim stays but the Nürburgring goes. Not a big fan of either in their current state though.

Great to see SPA back (let's see for how long) but I can't help but think that it's a great shame to lose Suzuka.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1696308)   #15
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Looks like Turkey's in jeopardy now, after all that went on on the podium on Sunday

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...ING-TURKEY.XML

Why is it always the best tracks?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1696471)   #16
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think that Hockenheim lost its appeal when they removed the trip in and out of the forrest, beside Spa, I thought the old Hockenheim was the best!

We could watch F1 cars at there best and going from extreme acceleration down to very slow speeds for the chicanes and then back again! Now, you rarely see F1 cars going at full throttle for such a long period of time! It was an engine-eater and thats what we lack in these times of shorter specator circuits.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1696719)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
3 weeks between Oz and Bahrain
4 weeks between Bahrain and Spain

already i am hoping for a couple of extra races possibly a Pacific Gp to be held at Suzuka hopefully or is there another East/Far East Asian venue that has been asking for a race?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1696723)   #18
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
I think that Hockenheim lost its appeal when they removed the trip in and out of the forrest
I agree that the 'new' Hockenhiem isn't anywhere as good as the old one, but at least with it alternating with the Nurburgring it will generate some novelty value and maybe make the races a little better for teams won't have so much data to base setups on etc.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1696783)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think ITV have jumped the gun in reporting that Nurburgring is gone - in the list on the BBC Ceefax pages Germany is the only venue TBA, so I think the alternation is the most likely.

Bernie should be ashamed of himself for taking Suzuka out in place of Fuji. When did this man lose his love of motor racing? Surely he's rich enough as it is without Toyota blinding him with more money? Hopefully ChampCar can sort out a race there.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 16:53 (Ref:1696818)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
So only 17 races then in 2007?

What happened to the 20 race calendar idea?
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1696831)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

20 races is too much for the drivers and mechanics, I think. I would choose for a calendar with 16 races, with another 4 or 5 non-championship races as well. That would be nice. Non-championship were always special.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1696841)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster

I still think 20 races it's a good idea.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1696849)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
20 races is too much for the drivers and mechanics, I think. I would choose for a calendar with 16 races, with another 4 or 5 non-championship races as well. That would be nice. Non-championship were always special.
Well, other race series manage it, though perhaps thats due to other factors like travel and PR commitments being less intense.

Im sure if there was less testing they could have 20 races easily. Start in late Feb, through to May, then a break, then have May to August then a break, then through to late November.

Just make the off season and winter testing schedules shorter.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 17:38 (Ref:1696856)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
with another 4 or 5 non-championship races as well. That would be nice. Non-championship were always special.
They are if the teams turn up, but somehow, i fear, in this day and age you won't get enough teams there to make it worth it.
Old 29 Aug 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1696904)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
They are if the teams turn up, but somehow, i fear, in this day and age you won't get enough teams there to make it worth it.
I think it would attract enough people. Especially in countries without a Grand Prix. The FIA could stimulate non-championship races by restricting the number of test days, with the exception of 4 or 5 non-championship races.