Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Aug 2002, 06:04 (Ref:360892)   #1
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya's defending style

He does it again and this time nearly knocking into Kimi's car by trying to defend his line although he dosen't have the pace and with a slightly damaged car after carelessly driving through a chicane.

I know this would look like a flame bait thread but am i the only one to see that the guy only thinks for himself and only sees that nobody can get the better of him?

Arrogant is the right word.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 06:36 (Ref:360903)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was thinking about this last night. He's definitely good when he's chasing a postion but his methods of defence are not so much arrogant as amateur. Whilst it doesn't happen every time, he does, quite often, seem to defend too hard for his car's capabilities.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 07:16 (Ref:360921)   #3
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree with Mallet. Montoya seems confortable chasing and outbreaking someone off a straight, but when hes under pressure he has a tendency to crack.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 07:32 (Ref:360932)   #4
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a pretty amateur move by Montoya. First, he qualified a second behind his team mate, next he made a poor start and got swamped by everyone. Then he made 2 major mistakes under preassure,, running wide and kicking up the dust which let Kimi get closer - he repeated the error next time around and Kimi did the smart thing - he didnt try diving all over the place - he correctly figured that Montoya would go off line to defend and as a result he ran wide yet again, this time damaging his car.

I think Kimi was quite pleased having suckered Montoya into that one.

It certainly hasnt been a good 4-5 weeks for Pablo. Maybe he's realizing that this time around he has to work for his points and not have them handed to him through his team mate's mis-fortune.

Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:36 (Ref:361011)   #5
Full Boost
Rookie

Full Boost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor start! Do u people know anything about F1!! Every racer on the dirty side of the track had a bad start...Why single Montoya out???
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:58 (Ref:361030)   #6
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he .. MS didn't .... why is that

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:02 (Ref:361032)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dani Filth
he .. MS didn't .... why is that
There's always a difference between a brilliant and an over-zealous
Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:07 (Ref:361038)   #8
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep.... you've got it

Ciao Marco
Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:21 (Ref:361050)   #9
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What was wrong with the way JPM tried to fend off Kimi?? Nothing but clean moves. weren't they? They left eachother room. It was more Kimi bouncing off the inside curb (although he did so nicely in control) which forced JPM to go even more wide, running out of track.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:32 (Ref:361061)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michael's start wasn't great, if it had been Montoya third on the grid the place would've changed, but it was Monty's fault that he was so far off Ralf's pace in qualifying. I don't think it can be singled out as a poor start- Irvine was the only one to gain palces form the dirty side of the grid.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 11:41 (Ref:361124)   #11
ttc
Racer

ttc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've have to concur. MS's start was not a good one, but rarely have we seen perfect starts for MS. That's one area where he most definitely needs to improve...

But back on thread, Montoya's defensive moves leaves a lot to be desired. He tends to be easily pressurized into mistakes. (BTW, that DOES NOT automatically imply that MS is better in any way )
Old 19 Aug 2002, 11:46 (Ref:361129)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ttc
Montoya's defensive moves leaves a lot to be desired. He tends to be easily pressurized into mistakes. (BTW, that DOES NOT automatically imply that MS is better in any way )
I dont think Michael can be preassurized into mistakes - in fact, he usually goes off when he's on his own and the team keeps telling him to go slower and slower. His spin in Indy in 2000 was mainly because of him falling asleep behind the wheel !
Old 19 Aug 2002, 12:10 (Ref:361148)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dino IV
What was wrong with the way JPM tried to fend off Kimi?? Nothing but clean moves. weren't they? They left eachother room. It was more Kimi bouncing off the inside curb (although he did so nicely in control) which forced JPM to go even more wide, running out of track.
Nothing wrong as far as I could see. I think the only problem was that he seems unable to take the pressure.

So far not the mark of a champion by any means.

BTW. It's worth noting here that Raikonnen went off in Hockenheim whilst JPM was attempting to pass, but in his case it wasn't so damaging. Nor was it as far of the road.

As with other attempts at defending JPM is definitely over zealous to his own detriment.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 12:40 (Ref:361178)   #14
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
Agree with Mallet. Montoya seems confortable chasing and outbreaking someone off a straight, but when hes under pressure he has a tendency to crack.
Exactly my words no need to reply my thoughts here, this could be my reply!

Amen mate

Last edited by Legend; 19 Aug 2002 at 12:41.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:05 (Ref:361209)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"People say that he has big balls, but maybe it's a case of big balls and a small brain." - David Coulthard.

This is true, but isn't that why he is great to watch?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:12 (Ref:361216)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Arrogant? Definitely. Aggressive? Yup. Questionable tactics? Certainly.

Remind you of anyone? I thought so. This is why when people say he's the next TGF, I believe them.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:15 (Ref:361218)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ouch... David Coulthard, look in the mirror.

JPM proved this weekend that he doesn't like this kind of circuit... he was nowhere on that track. Not a good thing for a wannabe champion.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:28 (Ref:361228)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html?http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...19050129.shtml
It seems that people expect JPM to roll over and play dead. Again, this is racing. Is Kimmi complaining about the moves made by JPM? No! Instead it is a man on the decline that has once again been proven to be the slower of the Mac drivers. I am willing to bet that if JPM was in the situation that RS was he would have passed MS. MS, himself admitted he had a bad start, in fact he said it was like driving on ice. RS did not take advantage of it. Also, would MS have rolled over and played dead if anyone was passing him? Is he not the one that has taken out at least 2 drivers in his bid for world titles? Is he not the one that has even run his brother off line to help his own team and team mate? Sorry I disagree with most of the sentiments here. Kimmi did and awesome job and JPM did what he could with a car that was damaged by a Renault.

From his first year JPM has said he is not in racing to move out of the way he is here to race that is what he does and does really well. This track definitely suited RS more than him and he was outclassed by his teammate this weekend but so was MS!

All of the drivers on the grid are wanna be champions except MS and JV!

Last edited by neilap; 19 Aug 2002 at 13:28.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:42 (Ref:361240)   #19
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Even a maniac would understand that JPM's car was undrivable, his set-up sucked & him dont liking the track didnt help him much. He was trying hard to defend hs position, made a mistake and himself suffered damage.. didnt hurt anyone, didnt push anyone off the track deliberately. This is a meaningless thread!!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:46 (Ref:361246)   #20
Legend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by David Coulthard lol

"People say that he (Monty) has big balls, but maybe it's a case of big balls and a small brain."

Follow the rest of the story here. DC go for him!!!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:48 (Ref:361250)   #21
freud
Veteran

Legend, I see that DC making a jibe at JPM has made you very happy. Enjoy the fun while it lasts..
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:48 (Ref:361251)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought he was pretty fair on that move actually, he didn't turn into Kimi, but he made it difficult for him. His only mistake was not lifting a bit more to keep his own car on the track.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Aug 2002, 13:55 (Ref:361254)   #23
Legend
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Legend, I see that DC making a jibe at JPM has made you very happy. Enjoy the fun while it lasts..

Freud sometimes I feel like I am the only one. It is nice to feel that I am not alone, well I have company here from the Highlander him self, and well F1 Rambo is the target. Should I get angry at DC? No way!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 14:04 (Ref:361264)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I didn't think this was an attack on JPM's style because of any wrongdoing. I thought we were commenting on his menatl ability to cope with pressure. Which is currently found to be wanting.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 14:14 (Ref:361270)   #25
freud
Veteran

When Kimi Raikonnen went off a few laps before the chequered flag at Magny Cours, some idiots thought that he 'couldnt cope with the pressure'.. And now the same thing with JPM.

JPM is a title winner and a proven 'one of the best ever' at CART, which is the fastest and most dangerous motorsport series in world. He doesnt need to prove to any %#$%^# that he cannot cope with pressure.

If I was to give an explanation of JPM's mistake I would say that he was too ambitious. I can see that from someone as talented and confident as JPM who is in F1 to win titles and not fool around. If I were Patrick Head I would advise him to calm down in situations like these and just let the faster car overtake him (Just like Ralf always does). Thing is that Patrick Head pushes him even harder and thinks that at this stage of the season JPM has nothing to lose and should go for it.