Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 25 Mar 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1261663)   #1
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oil temperature

What is an approx max temp for race quality synthetic engine oil?
I've been told max 120 deg C but I'm sure it can run hotter than that as synthetics were designed for jet turbine lubrication.
Lister
Old 25 Mar 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1261696)   #2
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Mate with a Lister Jaguar running on Castrol RS used to run his up to 130C without troubling the oil. Engine wasn't overly keen about it though.

Last edited by dtype38; 25 Mar 2005 at 19:02.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1261800)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I run mine at 100. If it goes above 120 I'm looking at stopping. That's with Castrol RS or Millers 20/50, the same rules apply either way.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1261803)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Why have an oil temp gauge, it's just more stuff to worry about
Old 25 Mar 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1261903)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's a word here but I'm struggling to find it. I think it starts with "a" and ends with "e" but ...............................................

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 25 Mar 2005 at 21:43. Reason: this keyboard can't spell!
Old 25 Mar 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1261914)   #6
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Sorry, it was meant to be a serious statement.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1261971)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Why have an oil temp gauge, it's just more stuff to worry about
It should be a warning light, or alarm system if you have digital dash/ datalogging... I am not sure how many pilots look at the oil temp gauge, when the oil pressure is more immediately valuable to understanding whether she is gunna blow captain...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 25 Mar 2005, 23:24 (Ref:1261979)   #8
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
There's a word here but I'm struggling to find it. I think it starts with "a" and ends with "e" but ...............................................
That would be two words Peter
Old 26 Mar 2005, 03:07 (Ref:1262059)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yup run oil temps at 100- this keeps the water out nothing condensed in the oil it all steams out...
funny how many people in the states can't figure this out and run or say 185 F, sounds good... bah the fools
(not talking about Oil cooled Porkas though)
Old 27 Mar 2005, 19:56 (Ref:1263076)   #10
halecmini
Racer

United Kingdom
worcs
halecmini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they can go upto at least 140.. but every one is differnt, if you look on the can it will have a code on it, this is an american coding two letters (A is the first) i think the best spec is AJ and worst is AA!!! take a look in the motorcycle (R1) haynes manual it tells you in there!
Old 27 Mar 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1263130)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Hot oil temperature (within limits) cool water temperature is reconned the way to make power. I have just fitted an oiil temp guage in my historic Camaro today by coincidence. I have fitted the sender into the sump, some say it should be measured post cooler others say at the sump but as the sump had a facility thats where it went.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 27 Mar 2005 at 20:49.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 21:49 (Ref:1263181)   #12
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Al, could you expand on why "hot oil, cool water" gives more power. Oh, and I think you have your oil sensor in the right place. Putting it post cooler only tells you how effective your cooler is, not how hot the engine is getting!
Old 27 Mar 2005, 22:26 (Ref:1263200)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
It's only what have read in Yankee articles, I guess the therory is that the hotter the oil (within reason) the thinner it gets so less crankshaft windage and the cooler the engine runs and by this I mean getting to optimium operating temprature then every thing is at the right tolerances and also the temp of incoming charge of air is also kept down. I will try to dig the article out tomorrow it may relate more to big V8's which on the road traditionally run at higher tempratures with a lot of under bonet heat.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1263227)   #14
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hot oil, cool (sometimes cold!) water is the way to go.

Hot oil (approx 110-120C) is where modern synthetics want to operate. The additives all work properly at those temps. Some synthetics anti wear additives are barely functional at 185F! And a good point by gttouring, over 100C keeps the condensation out.

Cool water is mostly there to keep cylinder head temps down. It adds in detonation resistance. A lot of people point to F1 and claim that they run ridiculously high coolant temp. This is true but only because they run such tiny cooling systems for weight and aero reasons.
Old 27 Mar 2005, 23:10 (Ref:1263230)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes the pre-detonaton problem, that was the other reason thanks for that Chunky, even if your road car gets hot you can hear it tinkling away.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1264113)   #16
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having spent Monday (and most of the last 5-6 years) driving round watching my oil pressure and temperature readings I offer the following observations -

Thicker oil = higher oil pressures BUT also higher temperatures. It is also very possible to end with LOWER pressures because oil gets so hot it both thins out and breaks down.

You do NOT need your oil at above 100 degrees C. Water only boils at 100 degrees (ish), it quite happily evaporates at anything above about 0.2 degrees C. By the time you get into the 80's you aren't going to have much water left in the oil.

Bigger oil coolers aren't necessarily better. Often the problem is air flow in AND out.

A surprising amount of heat can be generated by the crank hitting the oil in your sump. I effectively dropped the whole sump a couple of inches and lost about 20 degrees in oil temperature.

As regards the original question, depends on the type of oil and what your oil system is designed to cope with. If you run a proper race synthetic single grade oil then the oil will cope with 120-130 degrees plus and still recover. However the massive difference in viscosity between cold and hot means your oil pump must have a large capacity AND a very effective pressure relief valve. A normal multigrade road synthetic will have it's numerous extra components break down at these sorts of temperatures and you will have to replace it often.

The moment you suddenly realise that your oil problem is just down to a combination of enlarged clearances and insufficient oil pump capacity is a very happy one!

Out of interest I am working on a range of relatively cheap LCD based temperature/pressure guages with an LED warning light. If someone thinks there might be a market for a really cheap warning light only based system then let me know.

Last edited by greenamex2; 29 Mar 2005 at 10:09. Reason: missing word
Old 29 Mar 2005, 11:59 (Ref:1264198)   #17
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for all the replies,the car in question,a friend's Ginetta G4, ran almost non stop for approx an hour at Castle Combe yesterday,with an indicated oil temp around 115 deg C and no problems.
He runs Morris Competition 10/50 synthetic so the oil should be OK for a few more events or would you change it?
Lister
Old 29 Mar 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1264223)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I havent got an oil temp gauge, thus far if the water temp ever goes up then the oil pressure goes down as it too gets hotter

my new ally rad has brought that down to around 75 degrees C which is nice, oil pressure has been around 60 PSI, which is also very nice ! we'll wait until the summer and see how it behaves then.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1264354)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Slightly off topic. We fitted an electric water pump this year. I'm now able to sit with the engine ticking over for a few minutes. Previously the temps would climb pretty fast and I'd have to switch off. Mind you I did that after practice was red flagged and needed a push!

The point being that my oil temps never got above 90 degs.
Old 29 Mar 2005, 18:40 (Ref:1264518)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Is that electric pump or fan Peter, reason I ask is the ones I have seen for sale for Chevys were strictly a Drag Racing piece. I remember many many years ago when I was a spanner man at Nathan Racing we tried an electric pump on the Imps but it was not overly successful.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 07:40 (Ref:1264981)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its an electric water pump. I don't run a fan.
Old 30 Mar 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1265101)   #22
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
yes you Do Peter . . . .Pat comes along to all your races

I've seen a good few of the hot rod anglias running electric waterpumps, I thought about a small auxilliary one to keep circulation after switching off to stop the head overheating, but my new Ally rad seems to have cured the problem anyway
Old 31 Mar 2005, 07:59 (Ref:1265985)   #23
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Water circulation doesn't stop just because you turn the engine off. The hot engine still causes it to rise and the finned radiator still lets it cool down causing it to fall. At least until it cools down enough for the water thermostat to close (if you have one).
Old 31 Mar 2005, 09:15 (Ref:1266044)   #24
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Don't run a thermostat either.

Agreed that circulating the water for a while after stopping is a good thing.

Zef. Who made your rad?
Old 31 Mar 2005, 10:40 (Ref:1266069)   #25
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Pete . . .I'll PM you, its a Throbnozzle racing special !

what I used to do was leave the car 5 mins then turn it over quickly to just circulate, its not a problem at the moment and with no stat the waters free to move anyway