Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Jan 2011, 17:39 (Ref:2815322)   #51
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are seats dates like seat belts?
I'm miffed to see my belts run out of date at the end of this year as they are in perfect condition as over the last few years I've only managed a a few races each year.
The odd thing about the MSA rules is that for speed events and historic road rallies, belts do not need to be dates so I can sell them on. It's only for racing and stage events that dating applies.
Old 13 Jan 2011, 17:57 (Ref:2815326)   #52
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I went for a drive in a road/rally car yesterday fitted with Ridguards, bloomin comfortable they are too, not my idea of a race seat, but I can see the appeal for many uses.

Why others don't make non dated seats I don't know its the perfect up yours to the FiA for historics
Old 13 Jan 2011, 19:27 (Ref:2815365)   #53
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I went for a drive in a road/rally car yesterday fitted with Ridguards, bloomin comfortable they are too, not my idea of a race seat, but I can see the appeal for many uses.

Why others don't make non dated seats I don't know its the perfect up yours to the FiA for historics

Which is exactly why I have a 'Period' type in my car Zef [Non Ridgard I hasten to add]
Old 13 Jan 2011, 21:22 (Ref:2815421)   #54
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So please let me out of my misery - what is a "period type" seat that scrutineers will accept that fits with the App K regs and actually affords a degree of protection?
Old 13 Jan 2011, 22:22 (Ref:2815442)   #55
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave,there is quite a selection available-have a look in DTs 'Historic' section.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 05:59 (Ref:2815543)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
So please let me out of my misery - what is a "period type" seat that scrutineers will accept that fits with the App K regs and actually affords a degree of protection?
From Jeremy's post #31

Quote- "But you can run the original or a period specification seat-so have a 1965 copy of Motor sport with you to show the picture in the ad of the seat you have fitted."

So it is the original manufacturer seat or an aftermarket type that was available during the period of your car. I guess that FIAs intention was that the latter should have been manufactured during the period. What has happened fortunately is that newly made replicas (normally steel framed) have been accepted as well. Ridgard, Cobra, OMP, Corbeau....

On a different but relevant note, am putting a new carbon seat in a car where the 'Leg Support' and squab are one, the former split down the centre long ways to allow crutch straps to come through.Guess done for safety, as the leg support can't 'escape', but there is no room for straps and especially adjusters if they are above access hole to 'sit' correctly! The previous seperate support and squab allowed straps to come through correctly orientated, so am swapping from an old one.... Expect a 'Mk3' version eventually where there is an extra transverse slot for crutch straps
Old 14 Jan 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2815575)   #57
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems to me that a Corbeau GT8, or Ridgard RS9 type will be accepted (albeit they are closer to early 70's style) just as well as the OMP Brands or Donington style or indeed those similar from Corbeau, Ridgard or others. I do prefer the bigger "wrap around" type rather than the low back, separate head restraint bucket seat type.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 14 Jan 2011 at 08:53.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2815578)   #58
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
So you can't have a modern eared seat as recommended with a Hans device? Why is that is it because you are less likely to die in a 50 year old car than a modern one?
Old 14 Jan 2011, 09:11 (Ref:2815581)   #59
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Al,

You can run a Hans with a RS9 or the Corbeau GT8 style, because they have the correct slots. But the point may be that the seat type is designed to flex in an accident, rather than the modern FIA approved seats which are designed to stay in shape whilst the car folds around them, which possibly renders the HANS redundant.

This then begs the question, at what era does the seat type really change? Surely it must be the 80's rather than the 70's and if so there are many racers out there (including me) that are potentially being put in danger by the FIA and its approved seat requirements.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2815590)   #60
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Its tough being a racing driver
Old 14 Jan 2011, 12:49 (Ref:2815643)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
So you can't have a modern eared seat as recommended with a Hans device? Why is that is it because you are less likely to die in a 50 year old car than a modern one?
Yes Al, you can have a modern carbon / fibreglass seat and hans in a pre 66 car on FIA event. BUT, it will be dated and therefore 'lifed' and it isn't compulsory like it is for anything 1966 onwards.

It's OK for you with those tanks you drive- get a sofa in them , but a lot of old sports cars just don't have room for something with 'ears'. As an example standard Morgan Plus 4 has 15" width to get seat base in! Also some people just prefer a seat that looks correct for age of car, or as Peter says, may bend in an accident and reduce loading on occupant.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2815652)   #62
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Actually you would be surprized as the tanks I drive are surprisingly tight in the cockpit in fact we had to angle the seat inwards in the black car to clear my head on the roll cage.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 16:18 (Ref:2815739)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
in fact we had to angle the seat inwards in the black car to clear my head on the roll cage.
Al, it would be easy to make a comment at this point but I wouldn't be so unkind!

Cages are another problem in old GTs where body is narrow and they can also influence type of seat. The Gilbern Cobra 'CS' seat has to be mounted at an angle like yours to clear cage- and it is tiny! I tried to get a Sparco in originally- absolutely no chance if want to sit in it and drive car!