Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 18 Aug 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1385671)   #1
Steve_Jonosport
Rookie

England
Derby
Steve_Jonosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What did I miss?

I was racing in SoM in '94 & '95 with packed grids and lots of competeion, plus a couple of National races at Donington, Oulton & Snetterton. Been out of the FF1600 scene for a while & I've been contemplating getting back in again, but a couple of things are niggling me, can anyone help?
1. Why have they gone to doing timed races (15 minutes or so) at Mallory instead of 10 - 12 Laps? I know they used to be stuck for time (8 minute qualifying springs to mind) but does it work for the drivers?
2. What are the entry fees like? Used to be about £125, but I only really did BASCC meetings. How do the fees compare between BRSCC, BASC & 750MC?
Old 18 Aug 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1385677)   #2
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SOM races were always 15 laps at Mallory, unless BARC, 750MC or BHLRC happened to be organising. Virtually all BRSCC races across the country are now timed, usually to 15 or 20 minutes. This generally means 18 or 25 laps respectively, which is a bit longer - and many of the view that 25 laps is just a little too long.

Entry fees are generally around £175 for BRSCC single-headers now (£200 for Donington - it varies according to the circuit). Double-headers about half as much again. BARC I am not sure but I don't think are significantly different, but they now only run the Classic championship. 750MC don't cater for FF1600s and have entry fees of about 75-80% of the BRSCC cost.

Have a look at a FF1600 website which I will PM you about, if you have not found it already.
Old 18 Aug 2005, 20:05 (Ref:1385809)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quick Ian..grab him and get him prepped for Mallory
Old 19 Aug 2005, 07:51 (Ref:1386059)   #4
Steve_Jonosport
Rookie

England
Derby

Thanks for your help there Ian. Does the timed format work for the drivers? I always used to plan my last attempt at glory (which never actually happened, but there you go!) when I saw the "2 laps to go board" from my pit.

Paul sounds desperate for numbers, is it really that bad?

What would you say were the most popular races for FF1600 these days?
If you can bear to hear the truths you've spoken, Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, Or watch the things you gave your whole life to, broken, And stoop and build'em up with worn out tools...you must be racing a Formula Ford!
Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:08 (Ref:1386078)   #5
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bit of a debate raging at the moment maybe have a look here
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72800
Without doubt the strongest numerically at the moment is the North West Championship followed by Castle Combe..Historics are pretty strong and they visit the widest variety of tracks, the Classics also seem relatively healthy and usually have 20 plus lining up. SOM & the new MSV championship have suffered from very poor sized grids and both have been dominated by Gavin Wills & Peter Dempsey respectively.
Old 19 Aug 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1386116)   #6
Steve_Jonosport
Rookie

England
Derby
Thanks for the link Paul. I'm going to have to get broadband at home to finish reading that thread! Some good points though. I'm fortunate in that as I live in Derby, I can get to Donington, Mallory and Oulton without too much time taken up in travelling. Snetterton, Cadwell, Pembrey and the likes are too much of a long weekend for me to commit my time, although I'd love to race at these circuits, if I'm going to get "back in the saddle" i'll probably choose those races that are local. I know it's all very well to look back at the past with fond memories, but when I was out last, there were more entrants than places on the grid, extremely good racing for drivers and spectators, and it was all pre-zetec, which meant that I was driving a car comparable to some of the quickest lads in the country . What went wrong? Did I miss something? I sold my RF91 in early 1996 for more the same as I paid for it in 1994. Then, 2 seasons later I was told they were fetching upto £10,000 (although I don't know if thats true) and I've just bought an RF92 for sub £3500 (which needs a bit of prep granted - but makes racing affordable again post marrage, house purchase, children, etc,etc)
If you can bear to hear the truths you've spoken, Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, Or watch the things you gave your whole life to, broken, And stoop and build'em up with worn out tools...you must be racing a Formula Ford!
Old 19 Aug 2005, 09:14 (Ref:1386132)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Cadwell must be closer than Oulton surely
See you next year then
Old 19 Aug 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1386703)   #8
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSands
Cadwell must be closer than Oulton surely
See you next year then
Behave yourself Mr Sands. If Steve wants to come to Oulton, I'm sure we'll be able to squeeze him in.

Steve, if you can spare the time tomorrow, nip up to Oulton and say hello. There are almost 60 FF1600s' entered.

Should this be moved to the Formula Ford Forum?

Last edited by diz; 19 Aug 2005 at 22:25. Reason: To suggest forum switch
Old 19 Aug 2005, 23:04 (Ref:1386723)   #9
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Cadwell is not only 20 miles further but a whopping three quarters of an hour longer...
Old 19 Aug 2005, 23:34 (Ref:1386735)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
Twas a serious question actually...cos I've always worked from the perspective of Notttingham and see it and Derby as being pretty much the same forgetting that there is around 20 miles between them
Old 20 Aug 2005, 09:36 (Ref:1386852)   #11
Steve_Jonosport
Rookie

England
Derby
I've been to Cadwell, but never raced there. Oulton takes me about 1 1/4 hours, whereas Cadwell is not as direct for me to get to and so takes a bit longer. I've raced at Oulton in '95, and did a full days' test. I love the circuit, I like Mallory, it's good practice, and easy to learn, and shaving 10ths off takes hard work, but I get the feeling that the likes of Oulton & Donington are for the big boys . My dad used to race an Astra GTE in the BARC NW GT in the 80's so i spent most of my Saturdays as a young lad in the paddock at Outlon watching him, and thinking that all FF drivers, as 10 cars got into 1 space on the first lap round Old Hall, were slightly mad. Does anyone remember David Ellis's yellow Aston Martin & Dave Forsters' Mini - those were the days!
Anyway, back to the topic, I posted this in the single seaters to see what the general opinion would be, but having found a few knowlegable FF types here, I'm grateful for all the info I can get. 60 FF! On that basis, I stand a chance of finishing 59th then next year! (Not wanting to set my goals too high).
I've also read with interest the thread on steel cranks. Well, to complete my car rebuild I need a crank as the one in at the moment has thrown a shell. Any advice?
I'm working this Saturday, so when are the FF out next at Oulton?
Old 20 Aug 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1387051)   #12
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
They're out at Mallory on the 4th of September, Oulton for the Moose Trophy on the 17th but before that the historics at Oulton next weekend (Monday race I believe) as part of the Gold Cup meeting and I would anticipate a full grid.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1387195)   #13
Steve_Jonosport
Rookie

England
Derby
Paul, you are an oracle, and I admire your devotion. Have you ever raced? Do you think the timed format, as opposed to the conventional lap system, is prefered by the drivers or not?
Sorry for my ignorance, but I believe that BRSCC operate from HQ instead of local centres, I know that soon after I sold my RF91 that the entry costs were a big reason that made it expensive. I read Walshys' thread on how it was his hobby & today I agree. But 10 years ago it was the sole reason for my existance. There were always people with whom I compared my ability to beat. Kestenbaum, Kirkaldy, Field. All people we know,but I had no other expenses. Today, the entry costs I can afford, but I think I need a bit more background to what goes on today before I say "OK I'll do Oulton this year". Diz seems quite a laugh , do you think he would like some extra competition? Website is great - checked it out during today and was amazed at what I saw. How did very one do & do you think they'd want me? Keep it to yourself, but I've also done 2 continental endurance races in the last 2 years. So I'm still trying, just wasn't sure where it was taking me. I've spent my money now, so now I know!
Old 21 Aug 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1387253)   #14
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The timed format is fine once you get your head round it (from a drivers view) you can soon work out how many(ish) laps it'll be.

J.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1387277)   #15
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I'm just pulling the info together
Old 21 Aug 2005, 09:06 (Ref:1387285)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Steve, you can see the full calendar on the website.

Next weekend is a busy one, with races at Kirkistown on Saturday, Donington Park on Sunday (SOM) and Monday (Classic), Castle Combe and Oulton on Monday.

And I'm not reporting on any of them!
Old 21 Aug 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1387355)   #17
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Jonosport
Diz seems quite a laugh
You wouldn't say that if you were subjected to my joke telling.
I haven't mastered the concept that the secret of telling a good joke is
Old 21 Aug 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1387356)   #18
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
timing
Old 21 Aug 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1387788)   #19
Steve_Jonosport
Rookie

England
Derby
Thanks for that jminsh, I'm sure you appreciate that the change could seem a bit strange when I left doing the old format and am faced with the new. I guess it's just a case of working out how many laps the probable winner will complete, and then getting a demon start to be that man! oooh, I'm getting exited already.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 07:50 (Ref:1388047)   #20
Steve_Jonosport
Rookie

England
Derby
I ment excited, not exited. Sorry
Old 22 Aug 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1388057)   #21
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Jonosport
I ment excited, not exited. Sorry
He meant meant, not ment - sorry
Old 22 Aug 2005, 08:22 (Ref:1388064)   #22
Steve_Jonosport
Rookie

England
Derby
I really can not spell, can I. Or was it a deliberate mistake?