Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Oct 2018, 12:09 (Ref:3859274)   #126
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't imagine IMG would do something like this unless they are confident of winning a case, as in theory Montalegre could sue for breach of contract, so they have either been paid off, or the contract was written with a detail that says IMG could cancel it at no cost. IN which case it was idiotic for Montalegre to sign it.

Needs publicising to encourage more tracks to be careful what they sign for.
Old 26 Oct 2018, 12:31 (Ref:3859278)   #127
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would imagine that all contracts have a termination right with little to no termination fee payable. I suspect that's how Eccleston Ran his contracts too, as he seemed to hire and fire tracks on a whim (e.g. India, Korea, etc).

Even if it is a breach of contract, it might be hard to prove a loss. We have been led to believe that most circuits do not make money from events anymore due to high fees payable to IMG. We've been told that this is the reason many old tracks backed out back in 2013 as thought it wasn't financially viable. Maybe Montalegre is an exception and maybe it makes a profit. The real shame is where a circuit pumps in hundreds of thousands of pounds in infrastructure on the basis of a 5 year contract, only to get canned the next year. That's where it starts looking like misrepresentation (subject, as Chunder says, to whatever rights are in the contract - there's no accounting for making a bad bargain).

I thought they'd drop Canada this year. Abu Dhabi, USA and South Africa gives you 4 continents (with Europe) so it thought that would be enough. Canada is a cost that isn't necessary to incur for drivers. Then they could have spared one of the European rounds from the chop. I wonder if these increased flyaway costs were a factor in OMSE pulling out.

People above are talking about entries next year as if Ekstrom and Hansen definitely won't be there. From what I've read, they've just lost factory support. Has it been confirmed that they won't run teams if no factory support, or is this just hypothetical? Each year we say that it doesn't look good for entries and then it comes to March and there's 15 permanent entries. I'll save the "RIP WRX" comments until March.

I am gutted that we've lost Mettet and, of course, Lydden. The modern tracks look on TV to be awful (except for South Africa). Catalunya isn't actually that bad but they need to remove the kink on the back dirt section as it ruins the chance of a last corner overtake. Silverstone is absolute rot; like they dropped a length of rope on a piece of plywood and based the circuit on how it fell.
Old 26 Oct 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3859280)   #128
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Modern tracks that I don’t mind are SA, Riga and at a push Catalunya, (although I hate those two tight hairpins the joker merge is a blast).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 Oct 2018, 04:25 (Ref:3859388)   #129
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I can't imagine IMG would do something like this unless they are confident of winning a case"

IMG is a law firm that did sports contracts and then somehow ended up managing sports. So yeah, if you try to sue them, you'll lose.

It's what you write is why some old tracks didn't enter WRX. High fee to enter and then by contract were limited in ways to recup that money. No/Limited local advertising around the track. So ditch the loyal sponsors who for a few tickets and a low fee helped to build and run the track and/or club. They promised it would be televised in 100+ countries (but couldn't name the Dutch broadcaster it would be on) before one track or television station had signed. The 16 car brain fart.... it goes on. The Netherlands had good crowds for what it was then, made enough money to keep it running. Crowdnumbers would have to explode to keep the finances into the black and would have gone into the red for years if that didn't happen and they had signed for 5 or 10 years. It would have ended the sport there.

Last edited by rallycrossnl; 27 Oct 2018 at 04:35.
Old 27 Oct 2018, 07:55 (Ref:3859401)   #130
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Estering WRX is to crowded, parking is the biggest problem. Cars were standing on the streets again this year...
Now in august, the ERX round will be even more crowded.
ERX will have cars next year, WRX.. not so many!
Old 27 Oct 2018, 10:14 (Ref:3859413)   #131
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mivec View Post
Estering WRX is to crowded, parking is the biggest problem. Cars were standing on the streets again this year...

Now in august, the ERX round will be even more crowded.

ERX will have cars next year, WRX.. not so many!

You’d have thought that would be a clue that it’s a popular track worth keeping and developing.

Old 27 Oct 2018, 22:48 (Ref:3859514)   #132
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I am always wary of accusations and claims made on Facebook, but there was an official announcement on the contract extension (until 2022) last year:

https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...DDnq3kqQbsniGc

What's happened there I wonder?

There was a contract signed. According to local media Montalegre will prosecute it on courts in London.

Source: http://sportmotores.com/portal/!site...20055&id=53031

All sins are forgiven once you start making a lot of money but...
Old 28 Oct 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3859555)   #133
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
There was a contract signed. According to local media Montalegre will prosecute it on courts in London.

Source: http://sportmotores.com/portal/!site...20055&id=53031

All sins are forgiven once you start making a lot of money but...
On the assumption all of the above is correct and they do intend to take legal action I can't see it ending well. As Hickey has already discussed, an entity as major as IMG will surely have considered the ramifications of breaking a contract before doing it.

What would Montalagre hope to get out of any legal action: financial compensation or a revised calendar for 2019 which includes them?

Oh and, as said above, although I agree that the vast majority of news stories thus far seem to be negative, I think it is far too early to start writing off World RX.
Old 28 Oct 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3859603)   #134
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No Mettet in the 2019 calendar.

https://mailchi.mp/mpacreative/fia-w...9?e=b54d66c2f0

Not a great bit of news. I really liked the track plus it was an easy one to get to from the UK. Perhaps the rumours about Spa are true?

I don't mind at all, maybe that is also because Koen Pauwel brought it there in the first place only to pullout later to join his son on another adventure. The main reason why fans are coming is François Duval. I know a lot of amateur drivers and they don't like Mettet at all.
Old 28 Oct 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3859632)   #135
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
After all those news, posts and threads about circuits being dropped, drivers, teams and manufactures dropping out I cannot help myself to chuckle about it.

All that bla bla about manufacturers, sure it's great that they like Rallycross and are sort of involved. But I for one don't want a manufacturers kind of sport like WRC. I prefer a sort of highly tuned cars, professional tunes clubman style like it has been for years.

Sure IMG make great live broadcasting, but what if you can't access that as a European fan? You get a rip off of 30-60 minutes and some limited stuff of the finals.

So no Ford, Audi or Peugeot involvement? I don't mind! No Ken Block, Tanner Foust or fancy drivers from other disciplines? I don't care! I do however feel it is a damn shame all those cars aren't available for others and if they are they can't be properly entered by privateers due to limitations.

Such a waste, especially that those who have been involved in "new" RX have pulled out. Worse of all some had no Rallycross interest of history before, they came, see and left.

And electric? Sure, eventually I would even consider, drive or even prefer a electric car myself. But I don't want a manufacturer to spoil the sport because the races are so short it suits them. Nor do I want generic cars with a custom body!

Maybe later, but for now electric will rule out the clubman even more...
Old 28 Oct 2018, 21:32 (Ref:3859654)   #136
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
After all those news, posts and threads about circuits being dropped, drivers, teams and manufactures dropping out I cannot help myself to chuckle about it.

All that bla bla about manufacturers, sure it's great that they like Rallycross and are sort of involved. But I for one don't want a manufacturers kind of sport like WRC. I prefer a sort of highly tuned cars, professional tunes clubman style like it has been for years.

Sure IMG make great live broadcasting, but what if you can't access that as a European fan? You get a rip off of 30-60 minutes and some limited stuff of the finals.

So no Ford, Audi or Peugeot involvement? I don't mind! No Ken Block, Tanner Foust or fancy drivers from other disciplines? I don't care! I do however feel it is a damn shame all those cars aren't available for others and if they are they can't be properly entered by privateers due to limitations.

Such a waste, especially that those who have been involved in "new" RX have pulled out. Worse of all some had no Rallycross interest of history before, they came, see and left.

And electric? Sure, eventually I would even consider, drive or even prefer a electric car myself. But I don't want a manufacturer to spoil the sport because the races are so short it suits them. Nor do I want generic cars with a custom body!

Well said
My take...

You cannot avoid the conversations in the paddock from the 90’s and 2000’s .... wouldn’t it be great if manufacturers were involved... I was a big advocate, but not in a clatter like we have had with VW Etc, I was always more the fan of local dealer support and national interest not mega budget input
Unlike some on here who were brought up on rallycross from the 80’s I enjoy the rallycross in WRX in the most part, the racing is good particularly when it’s damp or wet it’s just a shame the organisers don’t recognise this and provide a track which insists on compromise on setup which is why rallycross became popular because the compromise provided the opportunity to overtake not joker laps etc...

Electric .... call me old fashioned but flames, bangs, whooshes and loads of revs are the big reasons I loved rallycross...., I’ll take some convincing on electric
Old 29 Oct 2018, 18:29 (Ref:3859817)   #137
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If costs go down in 5 to 10 years time electric racing is probably a life saver for many tracks because of the noise, or better the absent of noise.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 11:23 (Ref:3859923)   #138
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
I’d still like to see electric, but as a support series to the main deal unfortunately the sheer cost of it probably means that it will have to be the priority.

The thing that interests me about electric is the torque and acceleration, which is one of the reasons I like rallycross.

Electric and hybrid motorsport at a club level are unlikely to be seen much in the UK because the MSA has a huge list of requirements over and above normal safety. E.g 40,000 litres of water available, training and PPE for personnel etc.

Old 31 Oct 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3860118)   #139
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus Grönholm is hoping for manufacture support from Hyundai for GRX. Article is in Norwegian.

https://parcferme.no/rallycross/marc...-neste-sesong/
Old 1 Nov 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3860400)   #140
rallycrossnl
Racer

Netherlands
rallycrossnl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://professionalmotorsport-expo.com/en/

Free workshop on day 2:
12:30 - 13:00 Presented in English

FiA Electric Rallycross – powering the future

Doug Campling
Chief engineer - motorsport
Williams Advanced Engineering
UK

The FiA World Rallycross series is one of the most exciting and fastest-growing motorsport series in the world today. It has a loyal following, but recent innovations have broadened its appeal both with fans and with the manufacturers that support the series. The latest innovation is to change the propulsion system of the top ‘Supercar’ category from IC engine to a battery-powered fully electric powertrain from 2020. Building on the incredible success of its Formula E battery, Williams Advanced Engineering has been nominated by the FiA as the sole battery supplier to the eWRX series. Doug will present an insight into the development of the battery and its integration into the chassis in what will be a new and uniquely challenging environment.

14:00 - 14:30 Presented in English

Full-electric vehicle in FIA championships

Benjamin Caron
Electronics engineer
FIA
SWITZERLAND

The first FIA Formula E race took place in September 2014. This December will mark the first race of the new Formula E gen2 car. Benjamin will discuss the technical changes during this period, compare Gen 1 and Gen2 and discuss the areas open to manufacturer development. The second part of the presentation will cover the new electric rallycross championship, due to launch in 2021. Benjamin will cover the key points of the technical regulations as well as the opportunities for manufacturer development.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3860425)   #141
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Great... A silhouette class with exactly the same electric engines for each cars. I don't like cup cars for that same reason. Don't get me wrong : if such engine was in my car I woils be thrilled about it, but too watch is another story. I guess it is time to find another hobby...
Old 6 Nov 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3861384)   #142
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Euro RX to be live streamed next year:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...ng-for-euro-rx

Great bit of news as, in my personal opinion, that is where some of the best racing has been the last few years.
Old 6 Nov 2018, 18:34 (Ref:3861415)   #143
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Great... A silhouette class with exactly the same electric engines for each cars. I don't like cup cars for that same reason. Don't get me wrong : if such engine was in my car I woils be thrilled about it, but too watch is another story. I guess it is time to find another hobby...
In TCR (touring cars on normal circuits) are planning to go electric in 2020. They will have different chassis based on road cars with spec electric powertrain.

https://e-racing365.com/e-tcr/etcr-t...e-car-designs/
Old 6 Nov 2018, 18:35 (Ref:3861416)   #144
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Euro RX to be live streamed next year:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...ng-for-euro-rx

Great bit of news as, in my personal opinion, that is where some of the best racing has been the last few years.
This is great news!
Old 6 Nov 2018, 18:39 (Ref:3861418)   #145
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
In TCR (touring cars on normal circuits) are planning to go electric in 2020. They will have different chassis based on road cars with spec electric powertrain.

https://e-racing365.com/e-tcr/etcr-t...e-car-designs/

Despite being powerful it's so boring to all have the same...
Old 6 Nov 2018, 18:47 (Ref:3861420)   #146
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Despite being powerful it's so boring to all have the same...
It's to get it of the ground. After three seasons they want open powertrain rules.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 14:16 (Ref:3863290)   #147
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Short article on ES Motorsport testing:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...Z3JuqmidILue8I
Old 14 Nov 2018, 16:37 (Ref:3863320)   #148
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Short article on ES Motorsport testing:

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...Z3JuqmidILue8I
They have bought two brand new trailers for next year. Besides from those they have a bus with a trailer and a van so they seem to be a serious team.
Old 14 Nov 2018, 18:11 (Ref:3863334)   #149
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Cool! Curious about it's performance!
Old 19 Nov 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3864167)   #150
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I'm really not sure about the source, but an article claiming that e-wrx needs 3 manufacturers signed up in the next 4 months or the whole thing is over:

https://www.diariomotor.com/competic...el-campeonato/