Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2000, 10:30 (Ref:49433)   #1
Motorsport Online
Rookie

Motorsport Online should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luciano Burti is going to have his work cut out for him in the 2001 season. With the Jaguar team using him to replace the redoubtable JH he may have a popularity mountain to climb as well.

I interviewed him in Formula 3 just before his incident with Mark Hynes, in which he appeared to run Hynes off the track. His attitude was simply that he took "my line" off the start. Hynes went on to win the championship and was in the opinions of our team an amazing British talent.

This incident aside Burti was hard but legal and ultra competitive and could be found in the cafe at a circuit in the morning eating with his friends and family, totally oblivious to the pressure. When we interviewed him his was ice cold with regards to the pressure, and warm and friendly with regards to answering questions. This mix is interesting especially from a Brazillian. He seems to have a lot of steel in his backbone, and the way he handled the startline incident would have been expected from either him or Michael Schumacher.

The big question is, what do you think his chances are, and how will he pair up with Eddie and fill Johnny's shoes. Or will he just do his own thing ?
Old 22 Nov 2000, 10:45 (Ref:49435)   #2
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right, first up LB needs to stay as far away from Irvine as possible, or he'll end up like him. That's no bad thing - I like Eddie - but if Burti ends up with the same image as him, he'll never win anything.

Secondly, he needs to run near the front on a regular basis. As you said Mr. Online, he's a hard driver, and pulling a Schumacher Special on Marc Hynes proved this, but the car is simply not up to the job at the moment. Unless something special happens over the winter, Jaguar are still going to be running in the 5th-10th place area, which will do the lad no good whatsoever. Although Ford usually throw money at something until they win, so perhaps??
Old 26 Nov 2000, 16:00 (Ref:49973)   #3
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would have thought that Burti's chances of shining are better at Jaguar than anywhere else. He is, after all, a product of the Jackie Stewart 'staircase of talent', having driven for the Stewart FVauxhall and F3 teams.

However, I have never had the impression that he will become one of the greats. Indeed, as far as Brazilian Stewart F3 drivers go, I'd put Mario Haberfeld in front of him - and look what's happened to him.

His debut in Austria was unspectacular - not necessarily bad thing, given the circumstances - and he certainly didn't disgrace himself. However, his appointment raised my eyebrows (if nobody else's) and is what I consider to be a 'brave' decision.

Nevertheless I wish him well. Predictions? I think he'll make a solid number two to Irvine and will work well with a team that knows him already.