Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Feb 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3209611)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Dessert 2013 V8 Supercars Predictions Competition

Welcome to the main thread of the 2013 V8 Supercars Prediction Competition. Due to the relative success of my Grand-Am Predictions Competition, I’d thought I’d start up a similar competition for the always thrilling V8 Supercars Series, probably the more popular of the two series.

: : : GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS : : :

Competitors in the 2013 V8 Supercars Predictions Competition will NOT be limited to 10 Tenths members only... so tell your mates, spread the word! The rules are quite simple: enter what you predict will be the final top 10 in the races (except at Sandown and Bathurst, which don’t follow those instructions), as well as the polesitter for the races, the fastest laps for the races, the first car out for the races, and the biggest forward mover (from original starting spot) in the races. Each race will have a brief form you will be required to fill out, as well as an option to resubmit your predictions as much as you want and an option to see other predictions from previous competitors. You can continue to submit and change predictions until the first official session of each event. A link to an event countdown app will be posted for every individual race.

: : : SCHEDULE AND MORE INFORMATION : : :
Note: the only round not on this schedule is the Australian Grand Prix non-points round in Melbourne. This is the only round that will not have predictions.

Rounds 1 & 2: Clipsal 500 Adelaide
Dates: March 2-3
Track: Adelaide Street Circuit

Rounds 3, 4 & 5: Tasmania 360
Dates: April 6-7
Track: Symmons Plains Raceway

Rounds 6 & 7: ITM400 Auckland
Dates: April 13-14
Track: Pukehohe Park Raceway

Returning!!!

Rounds 8, 9 & 10: Perth 360
Dates: May 4-5
Track: Barbagallo Raceway

Rounds 11 & 12: Texas 400
Dates: May 18-19
Track: Circuit of the Americas

New!!!

Rounds 13, 14 & 15: SkyCity Darwin Triple Crown
Dates: June 15-16
Track: Hidden Valley Raceway

Rounds 16 & 17: Sucrogen Townsville 400
Dates: July 6-7
Track: Townsville Street Circuit

Rounds 18, 19 & 20: Coates Hire Ipswich 360
Dates: July 27-28
Track: Queensland Raceway

Rounds 21, 22 & 23: Winton 360
Dates: August 24-25
Track: Winton Motor Raceway

Round 24: Sandown 500
Dates: September 15
Track: Sandown Raceway

Round 25: Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000
Dates: October 13
Track: Mount Panorama Circuit

Rounds 26 & 27: Armor All Gold Coast 600
Dates: October 26-27
Track: Surfer's Paradise Street Circuit

Rounds 28, 29 & 30: Phillip Island 400
Dates: November 23-24
Track: Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit

Rounds 31 & 32: Sydney 500
Dates: December 7-8
Track: Homebush Street Circuit

: : : POINTS : : :

The points system is nearly identical to the F1 Predictions Competition points system. The farther your driver for, say, P1 is off, the less points you get for that individual spot. Read up on it on the F1 Predictions subpage... they explain it better!

Also up for grabs are bonus points.

0 off = 25 pts.
1 off = 18 pts.
2 off = 15 pts.
3 off = 12 pts.
4 off = 10 pts.
5 off = 8 pts.
6 off = 7 pts.
7 off = 4 pts.
8 off = 2 pts.
9 off = 1 pt.
10 off = .5 pts.
11+ off = 0 pts.
Pole Race 1 = 10 bonus points
Pole Race 2 = 10 bonus points
Pole Race 3 = 10 bonus points
Biggest FWD Mover Race 1 = 5 bonus points
Biggest FWD Mover Race 2 = 5 bonus points
Biggest FWD Mover Race 3 = 5 bonus points
Fastest Lap Race 1 = 3 bonus points
Fastest Lap Race 2 = 3 bonus points
Fastest Lap Race 3 = 3 bonus points
First Car Out Race 1 = 3 bonus points
First Car Out Race 2 = 3 bonus points
First Car Out Race 3 = 3 bonus points
Jackpot Points = 100 bonus points at the end of season

Explaining Sandown & Bathurst: these two events have only one, long race. They are going to be weighted differently than the 2-race weekends, which will be weighted differently than the 3-race weekends. Here's how it goes...

Bathurst and Sandown are the most coveted races in the season. Therefore, they should count the most for our competition. Therefore, here's the weighting system.

One-Race Weekends: 1084 possible points (250 for race + 10 for pole + 5 for FWD mover + 3 for FCO + 3 for Fastest Lap x 4)
Two-Race Weekends: 542 possible points (500 for 2 races + 20 for poles + 10 for FWD mover in 2 races + 6 for FCO in 2 races + 6 for Fastest Lap in 2 races x 1)
Three-Race Weekends: 541.9 (rounded to 542) possible points (750 for race + 30 for poles + 15 for FWD movers in 3 races + 9 for FCO in 3 races + 9 for Fastest Lap in 3 races x .6666)

This way, the one-race weekends are more important than the other weekends, which are (almost) the same. I couldn't get the two- and three-race weekends to line up exactly in points, but the decimal scores will be rounded up at the end for the two-race weekends.

Explaining Jackpot Points: Referrals matter! For the 10 Tenths member who refers the most non-10 Tenths people to actively participate in predicting at least ONE race will get a 100 bonus points prize at the end of the year. It probably won't be championship deciding, but if you need that extra "push", convince some people to start predicting. Remember, they must participate in at least ONE race for your referral to count. I will only know you referred someone if you P.M. me with sufficient information to make sure it isn't just you actually cheating. Therefore, I will, at the very least, need the following information from the referred player...

--- Social media page (Facebook, Yahoo, Google+, MySpace, Skype, Twitter, Wordpress, Blogger, Pinterest, Instagram, YouTube, etc.)
--- Email
--- First Name and Last Initial (example: John D.)

This is still possible to forge, but discourages many because of the complications it induces. Referral is not easy, so it really can create a competition within itself. If your referree (is that a word? ) is not willing to give up the needed information mentioned above, they don't count. However, if they are willing to join 10 Tenths, then they are free to enter. I respect others privacy and will not force the issue. Remember, you have to P.M. me or the referral does not exist.

: : : TEMPLATE : : :

Learning from experience, I know people can find making their predictions a little difficult and confusing at first, so here's a template showing how the final product will look.

Polesitter
#2 Garth Tander (2:07.938)
Race Results
1. #1 Jamie Whincup
2. #888 Craig Lowndes
3. #5 Mark Winterbottom
4. #6 Will Davison
5. #2 Garth Tander
6. #14 Fabian Coulthard
7. #8 Jason Bright
8. #15 Rick Kelly
9. #9 Maro Engel
10. #88 Dean Fiore
Fastest Lap
#14 Fabian Coulthard (2:06.885)
Biggest FWD Mover
#15 Rick Kelly (+15 spots)
First Car Out
#22 James Courtney (Lap 3)

Polesitter Predictions
#2 Garth Tander (+10)
Race Predictions
1. #888 Craig Lowndes (+18)
2. #5 Mark Winterbottom (+18)
3. #9 Maro Engel (+7)
4. #97 Shane van Gisbergen (+0)
5. #2 Garth Tander (+25)
6. #1 Jamie Whincup (+8)
7. #6 Will Davison (+12)
8. #47 Tim Slade (+0)
9. #8 Jason Bright (+15)
10. #88 Dean Fiore (+25)
Fastest Lap Predictions
#1 Jamie Whincup (+0)
Biggest FWD Mover Predictions
#88 Dean Fiore (+0)
First Car Out Predictions
#33 Scott McLaughlin (+0)

Let's just say that race was the Bathurst 1000. The player who made the predictions above would score a 552, or 138 (raw score) times 4, equaling 552. That would be a pretty decent score for the Bathurst 1000, and if we're lucky and see a lot of predictors filling up their slots, we could possibly see a 600 at either the Sandown 500 or Bathurst 1000.

: : : CONCLUSIONS : : :

As I draw to a dramatic close ( ), I would like to wish everyone the best of luck and also hope for the best regarding participation. A note to the mods - if you think this thread needs to be moved for some reason to, say, Fantasy Competitions, go right ahead. Or if you want to create a separate subpage titled "Predictions Competitions", that would be great as well.

Good luck, and cheers!
Old 23 Feb 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3209613)   #2
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Clipsal 500 Adelaide

Rounds 1 & 2: Clipsal 500 Adelaide
Dates: March 2-3
Track: Adelaide Street Circuit
First Session:
Official Website: http://www.clipsal500.com.au/

Entry List: http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champi...ms-and-drivers

PREDICT HERE!
SEE RESPONSES HERE!
COUNTDOWN TO END OF PREDICTIONS

That was then, this is now. 2012 has come and gone, and 2013, the year of the “Car of the Future” is about to get into full swing. Two new manufacturers and V8 Supercars are added to the roster: the Nissan Altima and the Mercedes E63 AMG. Last year, Jamie Whincup dominated the championship, and teammate Craig Lowndes came in a distance second. Now, they’ve dropped their Vodafone sponsorship and are running the Red Bull Holden Commodore. Third and fourth place drivers for Ford Performance Racing Mark Winterbottom and Will Davison partner with Pepsi Max this year, retaining their Ford Falcon. The Kelly’s have partnered with Michael Caruso and James Moffat in the new Nissan Altima. Lee Holdsworth joins the new Erebus Racing Mercedes team with former Ford driver Tim Slade and German newcomer Maro Engel. It is shaping up to be a great year. Will Holden and Triple Eight Race Engineering dominate like they did last year? Will Ford get a grip on the competition and eventually win out? Or will we see a new car on the top step of the podium for the first round of the season: the Clipsal 500 in Adelaide!
Old 23 Feb 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3209704)   #3
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Holy snapping duck s..t beetle, great comp but I have just done in half my brain cells.
Old 23 Feb 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3209742)   #4
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As I draw to a dramatic close ( ), I would like to wish everyone the best of luck and also hope for the best regarding participation. A note to the mods - if you think this thread needs to be moved for some reason to, say, Fantasy Competitions, go right ahead. Or if you want to create a separate subpage titled "Predictions Competitions", that would be great as well.
I can see this getting really busy, much more so than the Fantasy Championship, so i thing it needs its own subcategory.
Old 24 Feb 2013, 00:35 (Ref:3209770)   #5
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
I can see this getting really busy, much more so than the Fantasy Championship, so i thing it needs its own subcategory.
I know. It's exciting but also a bit intimidating. I do have a life outside of 10 Tenths, and that comes first. I should have probably mentioned I may not be able to make this work if the entries spiral out of control. It's only been a day and there's been some 70 views. I can handle about 20-25 entries, but if it becomes more than that... I may contact the guy who does the F1 Predictions Competitions to see if I could use his computing software to help me out.

But the F1 Predictions only get about 30 people per race, 40 at the first race... I can't imagine V8 Supercars would attract more than the F1 competition, since it's been going on longer and Formula 1 has much higher viewings.

I hope you all would understand if things get "out of hand" (70+ entries classifies as such), and I can't find a suitable computing software, I may have to put it to rest. Or a very dedicated fan could take it over.

---

On a lighter note, only a few days until Round #1. Place your bets, place your bets!
Old 24 Feb 2013, 04:42 (Ref:3209834)   #6
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about someone start a league on the cast roll predictor
Old 24 Feb 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3210042)   #7
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek View Post
What about someone start a league on the cast roll predictor
Old 25 Feb 2013, 20:46 (Ref:3210654)   #8
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Only a few more days until you can predict, guys!
Old 27 Feb 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3211822)   #9
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Really... no one?