Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Aug 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3127304)   #1
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Bathurst final lap

just watching the latest instalment of 50 Awesome Bathurst moments Grice 86

the race now tend to be pretty intense on the final lap and i'm just wondering if maybe its time that the cars can do a cool down/victory lap if they want to/ fuel allows.

We as fans, at the track, dont really get a chance to applaud/cheer anymore as the race is still going.

Plus we get the chance for a victory burnout

just wondering other peoples thoughts
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3127326)   #2
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TV Pecky, you know the thing that dictates it is a time certain race.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:20 (Ref:3127329)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
TV Pecky, you know the thing that dictates it is a time certain race.
valid point, possibly depends on the the race time, last year race was over by 5 so we would have had time, plus creates some good footage
Old 30 Aug 2012, 11:30 (Ref:3127335)   #4
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Pecky, the 'Winner' should be waved through the 'mountain straight paddock entry' barricade and allowed to do a 'Victory Lap'

All other cars should (as currently) be directed into the paddock entry gate.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 22:59 (Ref:3127667)   #5
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNick View Post
I agree Pecky, the 'Winner' should be waved through the 'mountain straight paddock entry' barricade and allowed to do a 'Victory Lap'

All other cars should (as currently) be directed into the paddock entry gate.
why not top 3 get a formation lap? they will have to delay the podium for the 1st place car doing his extra lap, so no further delay apart from 2nd and 3rd catching up to 1st going up Mountain Straight.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 23:10 (Ref:3127671)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
I'm sort of thinking let those that want to

We all have our favourite drivers who we want to cheer, and the crowd support at bathurst is a bitr diiferent to most races

Its too bad the car windows dont come down any more so that we can get a wave
Old 31 Aug 2012, 02:47 (Ref:3127708)   #7
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the behaviour of the drunken bogans fighting over the names above the garages and the locked fencesaround the pits last time I was at Bathurst was any indication, I don't think the teams would want the cars going over the mountain, they may never get them back.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 03:35 (Ref:3127716)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
If the behaviour of the drunken bogans fighting over the names above the garages and the locked fencesaround the pits last time I was at Bathurst was any indication, I don't think the teams would want the cars going over the mountain, they may never get them back.
not sure when the last time you were there is, but the crowd do not invade the tarck until the track is signalled clear, so this is not an issue

plus very few of those fans are now drunken bogans, often they are teen aged kids who are evry sober or just race fans that want to take home a piece of memrobillia.

also next year with the debris fence on pit straight this becomes even less of an issue
Old 31 Aug 2012, 03:57 (Ref:3127723)   #9
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stood in amongst the bogans last year when getting my podium shot. Some pretty happy and celebratory Holden fans in amongst them, but not the trashed drunks you might see up top of the Mountain by end of the day, they probably aren't sober enough to make it down the bottom. I would say that the gate next to the Bridge and possibly up towards Hell Corner would be the two main entry points to Pit Straight for post-race invasion if the fence is in place
Old 31 Aug 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3127727)   #10
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
not sure when the last time you were there is, but the crowd do not invade the tarck until the track is signalled clear, so this is not an issue

plus very few of those fans are now drunken bogans, often they are teen aged kids who are evry sober or just race fans that want to take home a piece of memrobillia.

also next year with the debris fence on pit straight this becomes even less of an issue
It was 2006 Pecky, it doesn't seem that long ago but when you get as old as me time tends to go quick.
They certainly weren't "kids" I watched rolling around on the ground fighting over the signs.
That is OT however, as we are talking about the cars getting around the top of the mountain if I read your first post correctly, much different situation to taking photos at the presentation ceremony Alfacors!
The fans at the bottom of the mountain are different breed to the top.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 04:44 (Ref:3127730)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
It was 2006 Pecky, it doesn't seem that long ago but when you get as old as me time tends to go quick.
They certainly weren't "kids" I watched rolling around on the ground fighting over the signs.
That is OT however, as we are talking about the cars getting around the top of the mountain if I read your first post correctly, much different situation to taking photos at the presentation ceremony Alfacors!
The fans at the bottom of the mountain are different breed to the top.
2006, so that was before they bought in the BYO ban. I can confirm things have changed.

I really dont think people are going to run on the track, there is no history of it, not sure why it would start now. the fans even at the top understand the issue and besides theones at the top have had all weekend to be on the track. Maybe it was an issue many years ago, (maybe the 60's)
Old 31 Aug 2012, 06:14 (Ref:3127753)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps its the track size that discourages slow-down laps at Bathurst? The same thing happens at Spa

The last 'cool down lap' i recall is Brock in the Vectra at the end of the 1997 AMP 1000... prior to that maybe the end of the 1985 James Hardie 1000, when John Goss, Tom Walkinshaw and Ken Mathews took off on a slow lap
Old 31 Aug 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3127788)   #13
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
The last 'cool down lap' i recall is Brock in the Vectra at the end of the 1997 AMP 1000... prior to that maybe the end of the 1985 James Hardie 1000, when John Goss, Tom Walkinshaw and Ken Mathews took off on a slow lap
John Bowe did a slow-down lap in 1989, after the cars had turned at the Mountain Straight gate the previous 3 years.