Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Sep 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3137545)   #1
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandown Raceway / Racecourse

I'm glad to see the 10 year commitment for the 500 to stay at Sandown, but am baffled at how the historically significant 500 race can be moved from the venue twice during the short history of V8 Supercars. From what I've read, it was due to other promoters providing additional incentives and Sandown being left out in the cold.

Can anyone confirm the relationship between the horse racing and motor racing sides of the Sandown administration? Are they separate entities or two sides of the same coin? If they are separate, who wears the pants?
Old 18 Sep 2012, 03:05 (Ref:3137563)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All I can say is I hope this gives the track an incentive to tidy up the place a bit.

The pit building, which looks as though it shared the architect with the toilet block, could do with a coat of paint, and the fence on the back straight looks like it'd fly away if the wind caught it the wrong way.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 06:18 (Ref:3137596)   #3
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176 View Post
I'm glad to see the 10 year commitment for the 500 to stay at Sandown, but am baffled at how the historically significant 500 race can be moved from the venue twice during the short history of V8 Supercars. From what I've read, it was due to other promoters providing additional incentives and Sandown being left out in the cold.
It depends how you view the 'historically significant' 500

The V8 commentators seemed to be trying to treat the Sandown 500 as the same race as the Phillip Island 500 last year (and were counting the Queensland 500 in Craig Lowndes '8 wins')

..... yet would tell us at other points in the telecast that John Bowe was (correctly) a 3-time winner...

make up your minds boys

Quote:
Can anyone confirm the relationship between the horse racing and motor racing sides of the Sandown administration? Are they separate entities or two sides of the same coin? If they are separate, who wears the pants?
Don't the horse racing fraternity handle the car racing themselves now (since Jon Davison's lease ran out circa 2010?)

The horses have the upper hand at Sandown
Old 18 Sep 2012, 06:25 (Ref:3137600)   #4
Scrut
Racer

Australia
Australia
Scrut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The Melbourne Racing Club are the venue operators.

They have a dedicated Motorsport operations department.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:31 (Ref:3137762)   #5
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
All I can say is I hope this gives the track an incentive to tidy up the place a bit.

The pit building, which looks as though it shared the architect with the toilet block, could do with a coat of paint, and the fence on the back straight looks like it'd fly away if the wind caught it the wrong way.
How times have changed. The pit building was state of the art when built in 1984. And now it is worse than average.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3137780)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The V8 commentators seemed to be trying to treat the Sandown 500 as the same race as the Phillip Island 500 last year (and were counting the Queensland 500 in Craig Lowndes '8 wins')
Isnt that ridiculous
Old 18 Sep 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3138142)   #7
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hence the 10 year deal with VESA. Allows MRC to make some return on the investment into the place. That's why the deal between Davo/MRC/VESA died. VESA wanted Davo to spend some money on the place, Davo didn't want to spend money as not his place, and MRC from memory said they would increase the lease/license fee's. I even think they took the Supercar round from Davo and left him only with running the Easternats at the circuit.

Davo has gone off doing whatever, MRC has started to tart the place up and VESA has bought the race back to where it should be.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3138144)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it was interesting that Sandown signed a ten year deal with v8 suopercars about 3 years ago.

so this is an extension of that deal, but seems to lock the 500 into its spiritual home
Old 18 Sep 2012, 23:05 (Ref:3138153)   #9
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other than horse racing and the 500 a lot of car clubs/manufactures/driver training is conducted during the week and weekends @ Sandown. They also use the circuit for road bike (bicycle) events, cross country running and they also have cultural fairs and other shows like the caravan and camping show.

Though the track and racing has been there for years the locals are starting to kick up a fuss again about noise....I think Sandown is only allowed a few days a year that are loud eg Historics, state events, 500 and DBA levels are forced on other track days.The Easternats were a big problem with noise and the council revoked the permit putting the final nail in Davo's coffin

Long term I don’t see the track being there given the land value....but I lived up the road in Harrisfield (Noble Park) in the late 70’s and remember fondly sitting on the generators (to keep warm)on the inside of turn one just before the old wooden pits....loved the first corner and attending the Hang Ten 500 when Honda Civics were running and some many other cars. Also remember the 80’s when the Sport Cars ran on the extended circuit.
Old 20 Sep 2012, 03:32 (Ref:3138822)   #10
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GROUPA View Post
Though the track and racing has been there for years the locals are starting to kick up a fuss again about noise....
And the one's complaining have been the one's that have lived in the area the longest. And recently there's been some rumblings within the council, with one councilor saying "he's had residence complain to him", only later to find out he lives pretty much right next door himself......

It's like living out near an airport.....you got no hope.....
Old 20 Sep 2012, 05:18 (Ref:3138853)   #11
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur View Post
And the one's complaining have been the one's that have lived in the area the longest. And recently there's been some rumblings within the council, with one councilor saying "he's had residence complain to him", only later to find out he lives pretty much right next door himself......

It's like living out near an airport.....you got no hope.....
Lol Busted

People Complain quite a bit when Road Courses are involved, and theyre only their for 1 time of the year and yet they complain every time that they come to town, it's like ground hog day..oh well, cant please everyone. and by the looks of the racing and support it had for the weekend, and now with the Contract extension, surely good result for us motor-racing fans!
Old 20 Sep 2012, 09:38 (Ref:3138982)   #12
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
it was interesting that Sandown signed a ten year deal with v8 suopercars about 3 years ago.

so this is an extension of that deal, but seems to lock the 500 into its spiritual home
You'd have to agree that its a great pre-cursor to Bathurst. 161 laps and 500 kms.....a Mini-Me if you like. Beats the PI layout day in and out
Old 20 Sep 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3138992)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
You'd have to agree that its a great pre-cursor to Bathurst. 161 laps and 500 kms.....a Mini-Me if you like. Beats the PI layout day in and out
No doubt, one of my earliest bathurst advertising memories was "3 weeks before Bathurst...."

I liked that this year Sandown was 3 weeks before Bathurst
Old 20 Sep 2012, 09:52 (Ref:3138995)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sandown is awesome as a venue. Some if it is a little tired in places, but the place is clean, filled with good amenities, comfortable seating in the grandstand... grass all round that is grass, not mud...

A nice place to spend an afternoon watching car racing

And.. you can exit the place in a matter of minutes, not hours!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Sep 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3139003)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would agree with all of that. From punterville you have a great view of most of the track, and the atmosphere in the stand is second to none. It was especially brilliant last year in the rain, watching cars wheel spinning, aquaplaning, generally trying to have an accident...
Old 20 Sep 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3139005)   #16
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Sandown is awesome as a venue. Some if it is a little tired in places, but the place is clean, filled with good amenities, comfortable seating in the grandstand... grass all round that is grass, not mud...

No argument with any of this

Should we extend the race, make it a 600 or a 750 kn race?
Old 20 Sep 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3139042)   #17
MPA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
MPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I lived next to Sandown, I'd complain about the noise too. From the trains that run next to the race track. They can get loud and not just on a Sunday afternoon.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 02:38 (Ref:3139401)   #18
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Obviously you were not in the 'red hill' carpark on Sunday
Old 21 Sep 2012, 02:42 (Ref:3139403)   #19
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA View Post
If I lived next to Sandown, I'd complain about the noise too. From the trains that run next to the race track. They can get loud and not just on a Sunday afternoon.
And the Seagulls, god, it's like living near a tip !
Old 21 Sep 2012, 03:24 (Ref:3139418)   #20
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will V8SC subsidise a bird of prey like the AFL does?
Old 21 Sep 2012, 03:29 (Ref:3139419)   #21
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPA View Post
I knew a bloke who use to live, as the crow fly's, about 900m, or a bit less depending on where you land the crow from the place.

The biggest bug bear for him was the freight trains that would come through some nights at 3am or any other time of the day, emergency sirens, police helicopters, light aircraft and once a stupid Blimp. One day he had enough of Dutch music being played for the Holland festival and ended up driving to the other side of town. Chinese Newe Year would bring the the banging of drums and the fire crackers going off. And hated when they did rail works as they would use blank shells in a warning system to tell the rail works a train was on it's way.

But other than that, he never really had an issue with motor racing. He'd tell me that the race starts where probably the most interesting as the whole grid came down to turn 1. If something went wrong on the first lap, you'd get silience there after, before they'd have another go at it. But once they where going, they would blend into all the other road and rail noise in the place.

Would he move back, no, and only because of all the other stuff that went on in the area. And he believes that if those same people focused there energy on sorting that out, rather than the noise issue, the area would be alright like it once was.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 05:30 (Ref:3139453)   #22
aussiemuscle308
Rookie

aussiemuscle308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Don't the horse racing fraternity handle the car racing themselves now ?
is it just me or do Horses and Cars not seem like an ideal mix?