Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Oct 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3859468)   #26
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
You had a very fast GTA, finishing 12th, best lap in 2'16"589. Is this driver, M Werner the same who won so many races in U2TC some years ago?

During your race, I was chatting with Jean Marc. What is amazing in the Sixties series, being the longest race and the most supported grid, is the high number of cars finishing. In spite of being highly competitive, this grid shows a level of reliability not found in other series -HTC for instance- but why?
Old 27 Oct 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3859470)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
You had a very fast GTA, finishing 12th, best lap in 2'16"589. Is this driver, M Werner the same who won so many races in U2TC some years ago?

During your race, I was chatting with Jean Marc. What is amazing in the Sixties series, being the longest race and the most supported grid, is the high number of cars finishing. In spite of being highly competitive, this grid shows a level of reliability not found in other series -HTC for instance- but why?
I’m not sure about the Alfa driver but I was told by someone that raced GTAs that the car is ‘as good as they get’ and ‘no expense spared’......
Old 27 Oct 2018, 23:43 (Ref:3859521)   #28
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great result for you and the team Mike. Congrats a plenty.
Old 28 Oct 2018, 06:41 (Ref:3859552)   #29
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
And the Chevron "hooked" a good LT during Q. Fingers crossed.
Old 28 Oct 2018, 08:43 (Ref:3859566)   #30
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well, it’s all change this morning, with heavy rain during the night and continuing showers so far today. Here’s hoping it does dry out this afternoon, as I hate loading in the rain....

The B19 qualifying time was better than expected, so all were happy. And the repaired front section, damaged in FP, held up well! Coincidentally the fastest B19 came in during qualifying with virtually identical damage. Probably the same kerb.....

One member of the team was caught out by the clocks going back, but at least it meant they turned up early rather than late!
Old 28 Oct 2018, 08:59 (Ref:3859567)   #31
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Had a look on interweb, seems this M Werner won many races having sometimes A Furiani as team mate. No expense spared but it pays as was the case in period. Does the car retains a yellow nose?

Yes clocks have been going back but doesn't work for lap times, hopefully!
Old 28 Oct 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3859599)   #32
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
One member of the team was caught out by the clocks going back, but at least it meant they turned up early rather than late!
Is it safe to assume this was one of the younger members of the team?!
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 29 Oct 2018, 07:06 (Ref:3859694)   #33
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Could M Werner be Marco Werner, three times Le Mans winner with Audi?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 29 Oct 2018, 07:59 (Ref:3859697)   #34
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Had a look on interweb, seems this M Werner won many races having sometimes A Furiani as team mate. No expense spared but it pays as was the case in period. Does the car retains a yellow nose?
Yes, it does still have the yellow nose. Bill used to co-drive the car with Alex Furiani before Frank Stippler took over that duty many moons ago.

Sunday featured mostly wet races, resulting in quite few incidents! John and Bill had a great race in the former’s B19, finishing 6th o/a and 3rd in class, making for a very enjoyable and successful end to the season.

One weekend stand out for me was the Heritage Touring Cup race. 36 starters (bit different to Portimao HTCC weekend before) and race won by Brit Steve Dance in his brand new Capri RS3100. Only tested briefly in UK before transporting to Imola! Steve won the HTC championship last year in his RS2600, also self built and prepared, as is the new car. In this race he was ahead of this year’s dominant car, the CSL of Christian Traber, by 4 secs after an hour..... Also good to see was British Morgan stalwarts Oliver Bryant and Dad Grahame finishing 3rd in their RS2600. Ollie held fastest lap for most of the race, just being pipped by Traber at the end.... The rare (unique?) Gp2 AMC Javelin of Marc Devis and Martin O’Connell was looking a bit sorry for itself when recovered to Park Ferme, needing a few corners, but the Pinepac GpA Mustang seemed to go well (winning the GpA class), as did the little Gp2 Scirocco. Sadly no Volvo brick racing, though.

Great weekend in a great location. Got through Frejus tunnel during the quiet of the night and now parked up in France. It’s cold, wet, and I didn’t pack any jeans. Have to pretend I’m a postie....
Old 29 Oct 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3859720)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Great weekend in a great location. Got through Frejus tunnel during the quiet of the night and now parked up in France. It’s cold, wet, and I didn’t pack any jeans. Have to pretend I’m a postie....
First frost of the year here Mike - quite a deep one too judging by the white covering still around well after sun up.

Do you have a spare set of overalls you could to compensate for the lack of jeans for when you get back?

Old 29 Oct 2018, 11:30 (Ref:3859726)   #36
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks for the report and congrats to the team again, Mike. I didn't know S Dance takes care of his cars himself, impressing. The Scirocco has been fast and I never saw an AMC racing here. Sorry if they are not classified.

If you're still wearing short pants, must feel cold… Take care.

I would go for MAX Werner, not Marco. anyway, both are fast.
Old 29 Oct 2018, 13:36 (Ref:3859761)   #37
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Steve does a lot of work himself but it’s an ex Delta Studant that builds his cars . Rob Quin . Bright young man.Wish he was still with me
Old 29 Oct 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3859780)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Steve does a lot of work himself but it’s an ex Delta Studant that builds his cars . Rob Quin . Bright young man.Wish he was still with me
You’re right of course but I still consider Steve very much ‘hands on’ with his cars. It’s not as if he just throws a wad at a preparer and leaves it at that......
Old 29 Oct 2018, 18:23 (Ref:3859816)   #39
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mike you said about London show that there are still some original quad cam around. But if you need a new one, is there another way than the one leading to Stockport? RW says he can make 305 bhp with a Grp1 Essex on a single carb. really impressive.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 05:52 (Ref:3859880)   #40
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And congratulations to one of our colleagues who won the TC1 category at each attempt, winning year class classification. Well deserved. Good car though, in a category where Grp1 "and assimilated" are admitted.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 06:11 (Ref:3859884)   #41
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
And congratulations to one of our colleagues who won the TC1 category at each attempt, winning year class classification. Well deserved. Good car though, in a category where Grp1 "and assimilated" are admitted.
I guess you are talking about the Bastos BMW 530i, Gerard? It’s a very deceptive car to watch, quiet and undramatic, but lap times are good!

It’s a fact that only enough parts were made originally to create 100 Cosworth GA engines, so I guess by now people are resorting to modern copies- probably better made!
Old 30 Oct 2018, 08:25 (Ref:3859892)   #42
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
I guess you are talking about the Bastos BMW 530i, Gerard? It’s a very deceptive car to watch, quiet and undramatic, but lap times are good!
It’s a fact that only enough parts were made originally to create 100 Cosworth GA engines, so I guess by now people are resorting to modern copies- probably better made!
Yes, Mike, this car has a "BASTO?" livery to comply with cigarettes regulation. Its a recreation of a "530 ius" homologated in Grp1. Philippe is probably using an homologated exhaust system, hence quietness. Yes, the LT are good bearing in mind he can't use slicks in this series.
His mechanic is very good, for instance one of the few in France able to make a rocket with a car using K-Jetronic system. He built a famous Scirocco Grp1, really fast.

Were the genuine GA crank case made in cast iron or aluminium? Anyway, few suppliers nowadays for this kind of wonder.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3859920)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes, Mike, this car has a "BASTO?" livery to comply with cigarettes regulation. Its a recreation of a "530 ius" homologated in Grp1. Philippe is probably using an homologated exhaust system, hence quietness. Yes, the LT are good bearing in mind he can't use slicks in this series.
His mechanic is very good, for instance one of the few in France able to make a rocket with a car using K-Jetronic system. He built a famous Scirocco Grp1, really fast.

Were the genuine GA crank case made in cast iron or aluminium? Anyway, few suppliers nowadays for this kind of wonder.
Funny that when you look at the car on track the missing ‘S’ isn’t really noticeable!

Original GA blocks were iron, suggested to be specially selected, if not specially cast......
Old 30 Oct 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3859934)   #44
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Original GA blocks were iron, suggested to be specially selected, if not specially cast......

Much in the same way that blocks were supplied (produced) for Lotus back in the 60s. They were "selected" when cast in Dagenham.

It is amazing how many of them then appeared in the hands of those fettling oversize engines that were used back then in Special Saloons, mine included. Back then one didn't ask too many questions!
Old 30 Oct 2018, 13:30 (Ref:3859954)   #45
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Last GA bloc - continuation, evocation, copy, look alike… - I saw was aluminium and could receive big bore sleeves.

Yes, this Bimmer livery is well designed, everyone can read the original cigarette maker but its not really written! Clever. And compliant. And nice.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 13:56 (Ref:3859958)   #46
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is amazing how many of them then appeared in the hands of those fettling oversize engines that were used back then in Special Saloons, mine included. Back then one didn't ask too many questions! [/QUOTE]

Happy days.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3859973)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Funny that when you look at the car on track the missing ‘S’ isn’t really noticeable!

I believe Ric Wood not only bought all the remaining original components from Swindon, his company now manufactures complete GAA engines.
Old 30 Oct 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3859992)   #48
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I believe Ric Wood not only bought all the remaining original components from Swindon, his company now manufactures complete GAA engines.
He is the man, as they say. Interestingly, also responsible for finishing off the build of Mega Bertha recently......
Old 1 Nov 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3860336)   #49
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.ultimatecarpage.com/even...a-Classic.html

Our report is online now.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 11:51 (Ref:3860337)   #50
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And regarding the M. Werner story, the Alfa was driven by Moritz Werner (brother of Max, both sons of Klaus) He trailered the car from Munich on his own, did all the team work on his own, stayed in an AirBNB facility and trailered the car back to Munich on Sunday. His pitstop, without any assistance was done 3 seconds slower than the allowed 5 minutes 33 second, and included lying underneath the car to adjust the brakes. In the background A. Furiani was there, assisting another GTA, but his interventions were not required. This is what I would call, Gentleman Racing.

And further to that, after two Cobra's were disqualified for non conformity after the race, the GTA finished tenth. It is the same car that once won the St. Mary's cup in the hands of Stipler and Furiani, and was this year driven there by Max and Moritz Werner together.

Last edited by henk4; 1 Nov 2018 at 12:07.