Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 5 Jul 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3916029)   #1
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
MSUK Fan membership

What do we think about today's launch of 'Trackside Membership' of MSUK, aimed at fans? (25 quid a year for not very much as far as I can tell).
Is it:

- a marvellous idea to boost youngsters introduction to, and involvement in, motorsport?

- a damp squib?

- a cynical move to extract yet more money from the unsuspecting to continue to pay for the professional subsidised excesses and freebies?

- something else?
Old 5 Jul 2019, 16:49 (Ref:3916041)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where is this offered and exactly what? Have enough coverage of F1 already-paying Sky-£53.50 a month
Old 5 Jul 2019, 21:24 (Ref:3916063)   #3
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you don't like it, don't pay for it! Unlike a racing licence, it's not compulsory in order to go and enjoy the sport. If you find benefits get involved, if not it will wither on the vine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 5 Jul 2019, 22:49 (Ref:3916067)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Where is this offered and exactly what? Have enough coverage of F1 already-paying Sky-£53.50 a month
It's in the MSUK monthly newsletter, sent to all licence holders, email received today.
Old 5 Jul 2019, 23:58 (Ref:3916069)   #5
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen it but presumably they get the same benefits that license holders do? So some savings on tickets etc.

The MSA was long maligned for being old hat and not caring about license holders. Now they've gone for a rebrand and are looking to change the image and what they provide, they're being shot down for that too. Everything they're changing is being met with cynicism.

Given all the other dealings I've had with Motorsport UK since the new change is positive, so I'm willing to give benefit of the doubt. Licensing is simple, permits are swift, there's ongoing consultation about simplification of regs (and possibly relaxing them in some areas).

The new chairman is a real breath of fresh air, at the beginning of May I was competing at a Nat B clubman hillclimb and David Richards flew in to have a look around. Okay he wasn't there for long, and he happened to come in a helicopter and it was on his way home, but I never saw that from Alan Gow. A few weeks later David was at Santa Pod, again, not something Mr Gow seemed to bother with. Are we likely to see Dave Richards in a pro-mod any time soon? I doubt it. But it's a demonstration that he at least has interest in multiple areas of the sport, not just tin tops banging doors.

There are several other stories I've heard about the regime change that have had an influence on my opinion, but it all means that I'm waiting to see how it all plays out. Any real change isn't going to be quick, but most of what I've seen is in the right direction.

Apologies for the unrequested and largely unrelated rant, it's late, I've been drinking and I've seen a lot of stuff unreasonably complaining about Motorsport UK recently.
Old 6 Jul 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3916100)   #6
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
........ Now they've gone for a rebrand and are looking to change the image and what they provide, they're being shot down for that too. ..........
where did you read that?
Old 6 Jul 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3916104)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks-seems something aimed at competitors and of no interest to us spectators
Old 6 Jul 2019, 12:45 (Ref:3916138)   #8
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Thanks-seems something aimed at competitors and of no interest to us spectators
The fan membership is aimed very much at spectators and not competitors.

https://www.motorsportuk.org/Motorsp...icated-to-fans
Old 6 Jul 2019, 18:37 (Ref:3916188)   #9
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
where did you read that?

Various forums, Facebook and general attitude at events, even your OP read to me as a bit of a loaded question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jul 2019, 19:22 (Ref:3916194)   #10
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I haven't been drinking (yet) but I've had a long hard day and agree with every word of your rant particularly the comments about the way this has been accepted so far

Like I said, if you think it's a rip off don't buy into it. The market will decide.

I must say that my dealings with Motorsport UK have been positive, they may make some mistakes but seem humble enough to remedy them and learn. And DR does look interested in grass roots sport.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 7 Jul 2019, 08:45 (Ref:3916282)   #11
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most positive thing with MSUK as far as I'm concerned is the comments from the CEO (Hugh Chambers) basically saying that they've realised they are in the entertainment industry as only a tiny fraction of the 30,000 license holders (he estimates 100) actually make a living from motorsport. So the number one focus of MSUK should not be to get kids from karting into F1 and is instead moving to getting more people into racing in general and reducing the costs.
Old 7 Jul 2019, 21:02 (Ref:3916399)   #12
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
........ So the number one focus of MSUK should not be to get kids from karting into F1 and is instead moving to getting more people into racing in general and reducing the costs.
Amen to that, couldn't agree more