Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Apr 2009, 19:01 (Ref:2439408)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Team mates comparison 2009

Some numbers about team-mates comparisons with the same format I used other seasons. In each race, the three digits mean (respectively) qualifying, fastest race lap and race result (more about it below). Digit "1" means the first driver "won", "0" means second driver "won".

Code:
TEAMS   AUS MAL = TOT
=====================
BUT-BAR 011 111 = 5-1
TRU-GLO 101 110 = 4-2
KUB-HEI 110 100 = 3-3
VET-WEB 110 000 = 2-4
MAS-RAI 100 001 = 2-4
HAM-KOV 001 111 = 4-2
=====================

Qualifying in this stat means times in 2nd Qualification Phase (but 1st if 2nd Phase is not reached), where fastest times are achieved. This has good and bad points to argue, but anyway it is easier to take in account.

Ideally I'd prefer to use 3rd Phase (when achieved) because it is when drivers gives 100% effort. In order to include it, I'd to use FIA weights data and a (segs-per-lap)/kg for that particular track to compute a homogeneus laptime. It's a chore . Moreover I doubt if it would reliable in case of big weight differences. Anyway tyre issues is another (difficult) source of variation.

Why only six teams? Basically to save work ; but for a lack of interest in the rest of teams (by now) as well. Renault and Williams are clear cut, not an interesting comparison at all. Force India and Toro Rosso maybe will be considered in the future, just now they are not very exciting .

One last issue, the ordering within each team . I used most of time common sense to choose the "best" driver (first driver in the table). In some times this is a difficult choice; I used who I subjectively think is going to end first in the season. Ferrari, Red Bull can be in this case.
Old 12 Apr 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2439416)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great stats there - it's very early in the season, but current trends could continue. I don't forsee Webber outperforming Vettel over the whole season, but anything could happen. The diffusers could do anything ...
Old 13 Apr 2009, 01:24 (Ref:2439566)   #3
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Oookeeeyyy, I completed all the teams. Buemi is being a headache for Bourdais. Alonso and Nico are "steamrolling" their team-mates.

Code:
TEAMS   AUS MAL = TOT
=====================
BUT-BAR 011 111 = 5-1
TRU-GLO 101 110 = 4-2
KUB-HEI 110 100 = 3-3
VET-WEB 110 000 = 2-4
MAS-RAI 100 001 = 2-4
HAM-KOV 001 111 = 4-2
ALO-PIQ 111 111 = 6-0
ROS-NAK 111 111 = 6-0
BOU-BUE 000 101 = 2-4
SUT-FIS 011 001 = 3-3
=====================
Old 13 Apr 2009, 18:05 (Ref:2439911)   #4
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just checking...is it:

1. Qualifying
2. Fastest Lap
3. Race Position

As you say? As if so why is it a 0 for Button in Aussie qualifying - I'm sure he had pole
Old 13 Apr 2009, 19:06 (Ref:2439941)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are other teams who have two drivers? On tenths I have only heard about Webber vs Vettel.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 20:14 (Ref:2439998)   #6
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
As you say? As if so why is it a 0 for Button in Aussie qualifying - I'm sure he had pole
Yupp, but pole is set in Q3. But the comparison is for Q2, before race strategy fuel is added, and Barichello was quicker in Q2.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2440040)   #7
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
There are other teams who have two drivers? On tenths I have only heard about Webber vs Vettel.
Or Vettel vs Webber
Old 14 Apr 2009, 00:18 (Ref:2440121)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Schummy is back !!!! Nice work mate !
Old 14 Apr 2009, 18:51 (Ref:2440696)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
What, no half points for Malaysia? You are slipping, Schummy
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2440761)   #10
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

I was thinking about dividing points by the number of decks in diffusor.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2440766)   #11
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Schummy is back !!!! Nice work mate !
Knowlesy said me to help here in F1 forum(*) because this season is starting too dull, without the good old controversies. Just to be honest.

------
(*) Ok, it's a lie, but I'm a statistician so I'm not concerned about lies.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:04 (Ref:2440899)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's OK if it's a honest lie... uhn...
Old 14 Apr 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2440930)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
I was thinking about dividing points by the number of decks in diffusor.
First of all you would need to know just how many "decks" there are in total.It may be worth waiting a few more hours before you decide to settle on this figure.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 02:48 (Ref:2440978)   #14
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

According to performances, I think it's safe to say Ferrari has zero decks.

Ferrari seems spiraling down into a post-Todt-Brawn-(Byrne)-Michael epoch. I.e. a normal Ferrari status. This warm interglacial era is ending. Montezemolo and Domenicali cutting-head panic mode looks entertaining and reminiscent of former periods.

(Absolute and uncalled off-topic commentary about Ferrari, BTW) (c:
Old 15 Apr 2009, 06:55 (Ref:2441038)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Why not just order the team-mates according to the numbers on their cars (the lower number first)? Not that I really care, mind: it is not exactly a chore to read the names to see your order, .

Interesting stuff, though. These things are always fun.

If I can remember come the end of the year, I may be tempted to mess around with matrices of the results. It would serve absolutely no purpose other than to satisfy my interest in matrices.

Last edited by Dutton; 15 Apr 2009 at 07:17.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 10:27 (Ref:2441209)   #16
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Obviously early days, but my thoughts are...

Surprises:
Button beating Barrichello. I have a feeling that Rubens turn will come soon...
Webber having the upper hand over his highly rated team-mate, despite his broken leg in the off season. This is one battle I am looking forward to seeing over the season
Buemi's good start to the season.

Predictable:
Rosberg and Alonso thrashing their team-mates.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 13:21 (Ref:2441358)   #17
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton View Post
Why not just order the team-mates according to the numbers on their cars (the lower number first)? Not that I really care, mind: it is not exactly a chore to read the names to see your order, .

Interesting stuff, though. These things are always fun.

If I can remember come the end of the year, I may be tempted to mess around with matrices of the results. It would serve absolutely no purpose other than to satisfy my interest in matrices.
Exactly my case: matrices and no purpose . A winning combo.

The order. I like to see "1" in the table when "wins-whoever-should-win" and "0" otherwise. Team numbering is not always satisfactory for this purpose (did I say "purpose"?), so I "mess" with orders. At the end, as you say, it's (mildly) fun.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2441422)   #18
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
*Wonders what use finding the eigenvalues of two drivers comparative performance would be*
Old 15 Apr 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2441475)   #19
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
*Wonders what use finding the eigenvalues of two drivers comparative performance would be*
Salary adjustment?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2441594)   #20
mllevy
Rookie

mllevy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you have 2008 data?
Old 15 Apr 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2441815)   #21
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

About salary adjustments?
Old 18 Apr 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2443912)   #22
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens needs to make his mark this weekend. Brawn are still looking strong for a win this weekend and with more fuel and a better starting spot he needs to make sures its him that gets Brawn's 3rd win
Old 19 Apr 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2444983)   #23
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Rubens needs to make his mark this weekend. Brawn are still looking strong for a win this weekend and with more fuel and a better starting spot he needs to make sures its him that gets Brawn's 3rd win
Well, looks like the hunt for the 3rd win is still ongoing, but at least Barichello managed to slam in the fastest lap of the race. Dont have the foggiest where it came from though, because for most of the race he seemed will of pace, both re his teammate and the RBR drivers.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2445505)   #24
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh, i dont think any driver in what appears to be one of the best 3 cars, arguably the best car on the grid would like going down to his team mate 3-0 with all results counting for points. I would love to see Rubens win the WDC, but sadly cant see it happening unless he can put Button in the shade one weekend soon. (hmm...not going to happen is it?)
Old 20 Apr 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2445516)   #25
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see it like that - he's consistently run-in behind Jenson, thus taking maximum points for team and taking points away from the competition. Plus he's very experienced on the technical side, and a nice guy to boot.