Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 May 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3903326)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Congrats to Lewis, who extends his points total to 7.
Old 12 May 2019, 15:23 (Ref:3903330)   #52
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Strong season start from Verstappen.
Old 12 May 2019, 16:31 (Ref:3903344)   #53
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=ApexTurtle;3903215]Maybe I should say better. Not crashing in qualifying does help

Vettel has done more than his fair share of crashing of late – and he doesn't have an excuse.

Leclerc still has a lot to learn, but by season's end he'll be blowing Seb out of the park....
Old 12 May 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3903345)   #54
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Ferrari in a quandary.. Agreed Leclerc will show Vettel the door by next year Sparkione..Why put Leclerc on Hard tyres then stop him again? To get Vettel back in front of him ..Vettel must have a clause in his contract...
Ferrari need some hard leadership on the pit wall, and as for their strategic team...crap.
Old 12 May 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3903347)   #55
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Why put Leclerc on Hard tyres then stop him again? To get Vettel back in front of him ..Vettel must have a clause in his contract...
That's not very fair. Leclerc was not meant to stop again. And that strategy had a good chance of working, as he wasn't losing that much time to Vettel, and the tyres would've lasted. But when the SC was deployed it destroyed that strategy. It would've left Leclerc on Hards in a group of cars that were all on Mediums. Swapping him to the Mediums cost no real time because of the SC, but keeping him on the Hards was no longer viable.

They also moved Vettel our of Leclercs way early on. There was no favouritism.
Old 12 May 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3903350)   #56
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Please can we see some real racing, allowing people to pass seems to annoy everyone so why do Ferrari do it
Old 12 May 2019, 19:58 (Ref:3903361)   #57
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Please can we see some real racing, allowing people to pass seems to annoy everyone so why do Ferrari do it

Because they are supposedly trying to compete with Mercedes - scrapping between themselves slows both of them up, so better to let whoever is quicker at the time get on with trying to compete with the opposition team....

They are just a bit rubbish about getting round to taking the decision
Old 12 May 2019, 20:47 (Ref:3903379)   #58
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hoping Verstappen can mix it in Monaco because it does not look as though Ferrari will.
Old 12 May 2019, 21:03 (Ref:3903384)   #59
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Mercedes seems to simply have a policy that whoever gets out of the first corners in first place gets the win.
Old 12 May 2019, 22:24 (Ref:3903389)   #60
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Ferrari in a quandary.. Agreed Leclerc will show Vettel the door by next year Sparkione..Why put Leclerc on Hard tyres then stop him again? To get Vettel back in front of him ..Vettel must have a clause in his contract...
Ferrari need some hard leadership on the pit wall, and as for their strategic team...crap.
Spot on. They need better leadership all round. One senses that Vettel is aware of this, as well as being utterly discombobulated by his rookie team-mate's speed. There will be many questions to be addressed and answered in Maranello tonight...
Old 12 May 2019, 22:34 (Ref:3903391)   #61
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Mercedes seems to simply have a policy that whoever gets out of the first corners in first place gets the win.
Don't agree. Toto let's them race, unlike Ferrari who impose team orders with promiscuous abandon. It's management, rather than drivers', skills which set the two teams apart. Maranello's 'musical chairs' policy here has not served them well – nor will it until they find their own 'Toto'!
Old 13 May 2019, 02:54 (Ref:3903406)   #62
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkione View Post
discombobulated
Very good, would have been quicker to type confused.
Old 13 May 2019, 04:54 (Ref:3903409)   #63
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But nowhere near as erudite......
Old 13 May 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3903448)   #64
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Quote:
Spot on. They need better leadership all round. One senses that Vettel is aware of this, as well as being utterly discombobulated by his rookie team-mate's speed. There will be many questions to be addressed and answered in Maranello tonight...
Quote:
Don't agree. Toto let's them race, unlike Ferrari who impose team orders with promiscuous abandon. It's management, rather than drivers', skills which set the two teams apart. Maranello's 'musical chairs' policy here has not served them well – nor will it until they find their own 'Toto'!
I have to unfortunately say that while this is a very erudite and well worded analysis of the race, I think it's also quite far off the mark. First off, Leclerc is not a rookie . Vettel has had the better of Leclerc for every weekend except Bahrain. Ferrari's problem is not Leclerc's speed, it's the gap to Mercedes. Vettel knows this, which is why he made that three wide lunge into T1:
Quote:
“It was clear that I could not win the race in the first corner but I saw that there was something to try. I tried and it didn’t work, but I was hoping that I could mix things up a little bit for my sake and your sake.”
I think he's also slightly wrong here, at this track you can actually win the race in the first corner as Hamilton demonstrated. And once you're in front, there is no getting past in equal cars. Bottas knows this too:
Quote:
“In the beginning of the stint I was pretty close to Lewis all the time, and just waiting if there was going to be any opportunity,” Bottas explained. “On this type of track if you’re within four seconds then you start to slide around quite a bit. Once you’re in free air, it’s so much better.
“That’s why the gap became bigger, as that was also when I had to go through some of the slower cars. At the same time the tyres started to drop off and with less tread on the tyres I lost a bit of temperature, so my tyres were finished much earlier than Lewis.”
Your assertion that Toto 'let's them race' extends to the first set of corners only. It's frankly a bit laughable to suggest Mercedes lets their drivers race when they are the most egregious and ruthless users of team orders as demonstrated last year. The complaint about Ferrari is not the using of team orders, that just makes good sense. It's rather the seemingly delayed decision-making. But even that is overblown, in the end it makes very little difference, and the only reason it came up in this race is the very fact that Vettel had a flatspot and hence lost pace in the first stint. (The fact that these tyres are not meant to actually race with is a whole other complaint in itself).

Ferrari seems desperate because they are. The gap to Mercedes is huge and it has been since the end of summer last year. They cannot win on pace, they have to try other things. The reason Red Bull seems to be doing so well is just because they do their thing and pick up 4th places and the odd podium when they can. They're not in the championship fight and they know it. But Ferrari feels they should be in the fight and if you can't win on pace you are simply forced to try something else. But I fear at this point even that won't help anymore, both championships have been decided already.

Sorry for the long ramble but I felt this deserved a proper reply
Old 13 May 2019, 09:32 (Ref:3903452)   #65
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
I don't think so. They are free to race. It just happens that with the same car, the same strategy and two decent drivers, it just amounts to the same thing.
Old 13 May 2019, 09:46 (Ref:3903457)   #66
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Resignation? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq8vX72SSzA

Almost 100 points back in the CC and the laptime gap gets bigger each weekend. The season is over, by all means. Time for everyone else to use the races for developing the 2020 car.

Unlike 2009 there is no gadget development like the blow diffuser that could really change the balance.
Old 13 May 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3903480)   #67
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
The season is over, by all means. Time for everyone else to use the races for developing the 2020 car.
Within F1, it soon becomes apparent whether teams are working on in-season or future developments. If Mercedes have a performance advantage, and all of their rivals slow development, then Mercedes can follow suit and also slow their development down and put more resources into their 2020 car.
Old 14 May 2019, 00:37 (Ref:3903605)   #68
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Within F1, it soon becomes apparent whether teams are working on in-season or future developments. If Mercedes have a performance advantage, and all of their rivals slow development, then Mercedes can follow suit and also slow their development down and put more resources into their 2020 car.
So in other words, "the season is over", Kempi's point.
Old 14 May 2019, 00:54 (Ref:3903608)   #69
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Probably. It reminds me of 1950-53, 55, 60-61, 63, 65-69, 71, 73, 75, 78, 84-85, 87-89, 92-93, 95-96, 98, 2000-02, 2004-05, 09, 11, 13, 14-18.

Did I miss any? (vaguely one team dominating, but may have been driver's in that team battling, or maybe not).

The 2014-19 Mercedes is a particularly impressive run by one team. I broke up the Ferrari early 2000s because 2003 was close.
Old 14 May 2019, 15:18 (Ref:3903736)   #70
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Probably. It reminds me of 1950-53, 55, 60-61, 63, 65-69, 71, 73, 75, 78, 84-85, 87-89, 92-93, 95-96, 98, 2000-02, 2004-05, 09, 11, 13, 14-18.

Did I miss any? (vaguely one team dominating, but may have been driver's in that team battling, or maybe not).

The 2014-19 Mercedes is a particularly impressive run by one team. I broke up the Ferrari early 2000s because 2003 was close.
Agreed Adam. Actually, this is good news. It just shows how many younger people have found ten tenths. Us "olds" never had a keyboard in the 60's..only one that played music. We couldn't talk globally about F1 team domination really until the late 90's....It has been going on since it started..
Old 14 May 2019, 18:31 (Ref:3903766)   #71
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The more Ferrari focuses on strategizing to catch Mercedes, Verstappen and Red bull keep plugging ahead of them.

Does Ferrari even realize Verstappen is ahead of them in the standings??

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 14 May 2019, 19:09 (Ref:3903777)   #72
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
The more Ferrari focuses on strategizing to catch Mercedes, Verstappen and Red bull keep plugging ahead of them.

Does Ferrari even realize Verstappen is ahead of them in the standings??

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Good post F1Pete.. No.. They have no time to realise that! I think they are trying to calm Seb down all the time as he has a young whippersnapper that keeps nipping his arse!
Old 15 May 2019, 11:51 (Ref:3903906)   #73
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lol, I don't think it's Sebs fault Ferrari are making an arse of this. They've been making an arse of it since the Schumacher team left. You can't really pin lack fo speed or poor tactical decisions on "calming seb down".
Old 15 May 2019, 13:59 (Ref:3903946)   #74
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post

Question. Let's go back 6 decades. Would the Merc of the 1950s have been as successful for as long as the current Merc team if they hadn't pulled out at the end of 55? Would they still be on top come 1959? It's interesting to think

Great drive by Max btw, putting the RBR up onto the podium ahead of the Ferraris. Certainly he is making Gasly look ordinary. I didn't expect Pierre to do to Max what Leclerc has done to Vettel, but I expected him to be closer than he has been. Shows how well Max is doing with that car