Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Dec 2019, 11:57 (Ref:3948603)   #226
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Why would he be no.2 to Leclerc? Unless of course his driving skills start to go down, I can't see that happening
I daresay that Leclerc's recent contract renewal has some #1 status involved being as he is the chosen one.

Why would Lewis give up what will surely be, given his lifelong association with the brand going back to F3 and McLaren on, a very lucrative perk filled life as a Mercedes senior ambassador in his post driving career, for a couple of potentially uncertain years at Ferrari and then retirement?
Old 26 Dec 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3948607)   #227
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Why would he be no.2 to Leclerc? Unless of course his driving skills start to go down, I can't see that happening
'Now, it is Leclerc who is effectively the team's lead driver'

Signing a five year contract in F1 pretty much nails on a #1 status at Ferrari.
Old 26 Dec 2019, 14:37 (Ref:3948611)   #228
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You guys make it sound like Vettee didnt also sign a long term contract with #1 status.

No one is going to gift CL a title and if he doesnt get one sooner rather then later, Ferrari will be looking for a new #1...as all teams should and would do right?
Old 26 Dec 2019, 15:43 (Ref:3948614)   #229
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
You guys make it sound like Vettee didnt also sign a long term contract with #1 status.

No one is going to gift CL a title and if he doesnt get one sooner rather then later, Ferrari will be looking for a new #1...as all teams should and would do right?
IIRC, Vettel has only ever had a 3yr contract at longest. Yes, they'll have carried #1 status each time, but they didn't have the longevity of CL's.
Old 26 Dec 2019, 18:44 (Ref:3948620)   #230
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Sebastian Who?......yesterdays man.
Old 26 Dec 2019, 23:37 (Ref:3948637)   #231
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Five year contract doesn’t mean a thing he sinks without a trace. He may be the future, but that doesn’t mean others can’t come in and join up with him. People are assuming a lot here
Old 27 Dec 2019, 14:34 (Ref:3948688)   #232
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If nothing else, this thread has proven Liberty Media right. More races are needed and the off-season needs to be shorter to head the discussion towards racing and not murderous rage about who got what contract for how long.

To quote Ron Burgundy:
Old 1 Jan 2020, 18:52 (Ref:3949439)   #233
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kubica to be Alfa / Sauber reserve driver. Nice to see the Ferrari link strengthen
Old 1 Jan 2020, 22:06 (Ref:3949455)   #234
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So Kubica goes back to the team where it all started, except it’s an Alfa rather than a Beemer
Old 2 Jan 2020, 16:48 (Ref:3949523)   #235
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Kubica to be Alfa / Sauber reserve driver.
Thanks no doubt to the announcement by Alfa that they have secured Orlen, the Polish oil company, as a new multi year naming rights sponsor.... the team to now be known as "Alfa Romeo Racing ORLEN."
Old 2 Jan 2020, 16:50 (Ref:3949524)   #236
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
So Kubica goes back to the team where it all started, except it’s an Alfa rather than a Beemer
As did Kimi... except it is Alfa not Sauber now. Still the same Swiss location though.
Old 7 Jan 2020, 10:41 (Ref:3950144)   #237
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max Verstappen extrended his contract with Red Bull until the end of 2023

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/ar...ax-attack-2023
Old 7 Jan 2020, 10:44 (Ref:3950146)   #238
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Max Verstappen extrended his contract with Red Bull until the end of 2023

https://redbullracing.redbull.com/ar...ax-attack-2023
Has he indeed.....

Hmmm wonder what caveats are included in that one
Old 7 Jan 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3950165)   #239
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
If he played his cards right, he could have got the gig at any team on the grid. His faith and loyalty are to be admired, but I cannot see why he would rush to sign on again with the 3rd best team.

I suppose the major rules revamp in 2021 may shake up the order - so it might be anyones guess as to which will be the best car.
Old 7 Jan 2020, 14:49 (Ref:3950204)   #240
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Has he indeed.....

Hmmm wonder what caveats are included in that one
If I was him... clauses on who is providing the engine! In short, if Honda does not commit to moving forward (they are on a short commitment, 2020 or 2021 I think?) then he can leave. I can't see Mercedes or Ferrari providing RBR with power units. And we all know the history with Renault.

Richard
Old 7 Jan 2020, 16:24 (Ref:3950238)   #241
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness, im not sure what other choices he has.

Ferrari will clearly self destruct with two top level drivers and Merc have invested so much time and money into LH that at this point they almost have to fully back LH in breaking every possible record.

plus he will only be 25 in 2023 and will realistically still have another decade of competitive years ahead of him. plus RB and Honda are probably paying him a shed ton of money.
Old 7 Jan 2020, 16:30 (Ref:3950241)   #242
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
in fairness, im not sure what other choices he has.

Ferrari will clearly self destruct with two top level drivers and Merc have invested so much time and money into LH that at this point they almost have to fully back LH in breaking every possible record.

plus he will only be 25 in 2023 and will realistically still have another decade of competitive years ahead of him. plus RB and Honda are probably paying him a shed ton of money.
Honda is looking to reduce their budget. I suspect they are not paying his salary, or if they are, I can't seem them agreeing to pay for a longer term contract if their ongoing future in F1 is still up in the air.

Richard
Old 7 Jan 2020, 16:36 (Ref:3950243)   #243
Richard C
Veteran

I was also just thinking that Max and Honda may be intertwined in other ways as well. I can imagine there being various contingencies in his contract. Such as Honda saying in F1. At the same time, him remaining with RBR is a selling point for Honda to stay.

I expect the question of Honda is multi-dimensional. With costs being a large part of that (that mostly a question of F1/FOM and final power unit rules). But having Max at RBR should be a way to show to Honda upper management that the money is spent with a team that is both a top team, but also with one of the top 2-3 drivers.

Richard
Old 8 Jan 2020, 10:29 (Ref:3950352)   #244
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
in fairness, I'm not sure what other choices he has.

I think you are spot on and I reckon all six drivers in the top teams have no where to go and they are all stuck for various reasons. Verstappen was not going anywhere and he knew it, if anyone is naive enough to think these guys don't shop around they are delusional. Verstappen sussed out the market and signed on the dotted line for that reason, no where to go and he knew it.
Old 8 Jan 2020, 10:32 (Ref:3950353)   #245
S griffin
Veteran

Red Bull have done the right thing signing him long term. They couldn't afford to lose him, he's their most valuable resource atm.
Old 8 Jan 2020, 10:36 (Ref:3950354)   #246
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Red Bull have done the right thing signing him long term. They couldn't afford to lose him, he's their most valuable resource atm.
More valuable than Newey and his close cohorts?
Old 8 Jan 2020, 10:50 (Ref:3950359)   #247
S griffin
Veteran

True Newey used to be the one everyone wanted. However Max is one who can drag the best out of the car all the time. They need someone like him to win the title no matter how good the car is
Old 8 Jan 2020, 12:12 (Ref:3950379)   #248
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Where do you think he could have gone? As far as I can see he had no options so it was RB or a lesser team further back in the field and that ain't gonna happen.
Old 8 Jan 2020, 12:24 (Ref:3950384)   #249
S griffin
Veteran

If Hamilton leaves Merc or F1 there could have be a seat there. Are you saying he’s not good enough to go there?
Old 8 Jan 2020, 12:53 (Ref:3950387)   #250
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
True Newey used to be the one everyone wanted. However Max is one who can drag the best out of the car all the time. They need someone like him to win the title no matter how good the car is
I daresay that going into the new regulations in 2021, Newey and his cohorts will have a lot more influence on the results than Max will. Max is only as good as the car under him allows, and the engine that powers him.
Put him in a Williams, Haas, STR etc and he isnt going to win short of all others in better cars dropping out.

The same goes to Lewis or Leclerc and their technical boffins.

My opinion.