Closed Thread

Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:01 (Ref:2855499)   #1
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel is the new Mansell (at best) Hamilton reckons

Here is an interesting interview with Hamilton. He reckons he is the Senna and Alonso is the Prost of this era. Vettel might be the new Mansell but he doenst rate him just as much

First the "soft drink company" remark, and now this. What do you think? Is he getting a bit fustrated seeing too much of Red Bull's rear end? Or do you honestly think Vettel is only up there with him and Alonso due to the car he has?

Quote:
But is not Vettel his true nemesis now? "I don't think so. If he continues to have a car like he does now then, maybe, but I think when we get equal pace then we will see some serious racing. Maybe he [Vettel] is the new Mansell? Not that I would rate him like I do Mansell." Ouch
source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...st?INTCMP=SRCH
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2855503)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
He seems quite bullish this year. Still, we're always complaining that modern drivers are bland, corporate automatons, so we should probably embrace this sort of thing. I agree with what he says though - Alonso and Hamilton are the best. Vettel, though very good, would be beaten by either in cars of a similar pace to his.

Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel and Kubica, yesterday.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:19 (Ref:2855509)   #3
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we are at comparisons. The closest title wise to his comparisons is Vettel with Mansel indeed.
The snob should be quiet until he at least has the same amount of titles under his belt like the giy he compares himself to.
He is not the best and he will never become it unless he changes his attitude away from being a stompy schoolkid
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2855517)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Vettel the new Mansell ??? Not in a million years.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2855519)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
He hasn't got a 'tache for starters.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2855521)   #6
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
... Vettel, though very good, would be beaten by either in cars of a similar pace to his.
Now that is the part I just seriously doubt. Vettel won 16 out 18 races in F-BMW, beaten Gronholm fair and square the first time he attempted to drive a Ford Focus RS WRC 07 (the same car Gronholm drove for a living and won races with the previous season) , won a race from pole in a Toro Rosso (for the Faenza team that has been and still is struggling for points for the last two decades)... Vettel, in my eyes, has done things that makes him easly a match to Hamilton or Alonso. I dont see why he should be looked down on as someone from not quite the same league as them? Surely he was convincing enough before Red Bull started to dominate?
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2855523)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Vettel is very good. I'm not looking down on him at all. I just don't think that he's as good as Alonso and Hamilton, despite the achievements you've listed. Please don't cite the ROC as evidence of his prowess though - it's like a motorsport office Xmas party - Gronholm had probably had a few dry sherrys beforehand.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2855526)   #8
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
Thats bull, these guys only know one way to go and thats flat out. The only difference for them between a ROC race or ANY given race is that their bank account doesnt get bigger there. Once the lights are out they are programized to beat the opponent. (besides it was the finals, you wont throw a final in any circumtances anyway, its second nature to them that they need to win, its like breathing for you)
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2855527)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Thinking about it, I'm not sure any contemporary F1 driver can compare himself to Mansell. He (with the help of his wife Roseanne) practically dragged himself to the very top from nothing. Doing proper jobs, remortgaging his house...etc

The current crop have been wafted to the top on velvet cusions by comparison.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2855529)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
Thats bull, these guys only know one way to go and thats flat out. The only difference for them between a ROC race or ANY given race is that their bank account doesnt get bigger there. Once the lights are out they are programized to beat the opponent. (besides it was the finals, you wont throw a final in any circumtances anyway, its second nature to them that they need to win, its like breathing for you)
Programized eh? I'll take your word for it.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2855531)   #11
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
ehh Programmed even anyway, dry sherrys... i will take your word for that
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2855532)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think there's a sub-plot here. It's fairly well known that Hamilton doesn't like Vettel so he wouldn't waste an opportunity to put him down. If Alonso is the current threat to Hamilton (I think he's better), then Vettel is the longer term threat because he's in the best car, is younger and can only improve.

So then the second question is: has Alonso peaked or is he still improving?
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2855535)   #13
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well on the one hand, I suppose you could say Hamilton does want to get away from the bland robot F1 driver. I think he is trying to emulate Eddie Irvine, without Eddie's predilection for the ladies of course.

However, he underestimates Vettel at his peril. I think Vettel is probably the best qualifier out there now and in this era of F1 that counts for a lot, particularly as overtaking is so difficult. Plus Vettel can knock out a fastest lap or two. The youngest ever champion got a massive confidence boost for his title win and he will only get better.

I think Alonso is probably the best all rounder in F1 at the moment and Hamilton rightly acknowledges him, even though they have a history together.

Vettel - the new Mansell? Does that mean after eaach race he will have a moan about the car and how everything wasn't his fault? ;-)
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:30 (Ref:2855543)   #14
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Vettel - the new Mansell? Does that mean after eaach race he will have a moan about the car and how everything wasn't his fault? ;-)
I thought that was the function of the #2 driver at Red Bull.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2855551)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If Vettel is the new Mansell, then Hamilton had better pray that 2011,12,13 and 14 (Newey, like Vettel, will stay with Red Bull until 2014) don't turn out like 1992.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2855554)   #16
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Good game this: If Vettel is the new Mansell...you won't be able to trust him when he says he's retired.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2855559)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Good game this: If Vettel is the new Mansell...you won't be able to trust him when he says he's retired.
He might even pop over the pond one year and win the Indy car title.

Which reminds me that Raikkonen is about to switch to NASCAR, apparently.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2855562)   #18
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Alonso is past it (has peaked) and I doubt Vettel will improve. IMO.

But Alonso in a Red Bull - you have a winner !

Last edited by MGDavid; 29 Mar 2011 at 19:04.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2855567)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
So then the second question is: has Alonso peaked or is he still improving?
Good question. I think he peaked.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 19:25 (Ref:2855568)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

That's if there is an IndyCar series in 2012 and beyond.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2855585)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's if there is an IndyCar series in 2012 and beyond.
He's going to NASCAR this season.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2855588)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77 View Post
While we are at comparisons. The closest title wise to his comparisons is Vettel with Mansel indeed.
The snob should be quiet until he at least has the same amount of titles under his belt like the giy he compares himself to.
He is not the best and he will never become it unless he changes his attitude away from being a stompy schoolkid
Old 29 Mar 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2855595)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He's going to NASCAR this season.
That should prove interesting. I thought you meant Vettel might pop over and race in Indy like Mansell did.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 20:27 (Ref:2855601)   #24
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Obviously Vettel is not the new Mansell. Instead he is the new TGF. Only difference is that he will win more titles than the old one.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2855606)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post

He can't be that dull, surely........

Quote:
Who?

Oh, him, yes, I think I remember..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by flor View Post
Obviously Vettel is not the new Mansell. Instead he is the new TGF. Only difference is that he will win more titles than the old one.
You're serious, aren't you.......?