Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2000, 14:10 (Ref:1358)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow. Points for Pedro De La Rosa, a stunning drive by Verstappen, points for Gene had he not spun and then retired later on, and a marvellous 8th place for Mazzacane.

I just had to praise their excellent driving in bad conditions today.

GO MINARDI/ARROWS! YAAAAAAAAAY!
Old 21 May 2000, 14:14 (Ref:1359)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And if the Arrows pits hadn't been on tea break when de la Rosa came in - who knows what might have happened!

I'm glad ONE of the yellow cars made it home in one piece.

P.S. What happened to Jos? I saw him de-wheeled but never heard how it occurred.
Old 21 May 2000, 17:55 (Ref:1360)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GM ahead of the likes of Alesi (god that blue team is in dissaray isn't it?). Gené didn't acquit himself too well though. Prat. Ho hum, onwards and upwards.......
Old 21 May 2000, 18:19 (Ref:1361)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Gene actually made a brilliant start - but then he span off. Dammnit.
Old 21 May 2000, 23:02 (Ref:1362)   #5
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jos passed Eddie Irvine and although he was already ahead of him, Eddie shut the door.
He touched the Arrows after which Jos' car suffered from heavy steering.
Two laps later the rear of the car broke out and Jos crashed into the tyre barriers.
Luckily he was not injured.
The two drivers spoke about the accident and they both considered it a 'racing accident'.
Old 22 May 2000, 10:43 (Ref:1363)   #6
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooooh Irvine, I want a piece of him. The idiot. Jos was going so good, keeping Rubens and Ralf off. And then that fool had to blow for him.

Gene started pretty good, wasn't he 14th by the second lap? Impressive.

Gaston and Pedro too.
Old 22 May 2000, 16:20 (Ref:1364)   #7
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Pedro passed in this order Verstappen, Button, Irvine, Ralfi, Jacques, and then was fighting with Rubinho and Fisichella with a car prepare for dry conditions(I hope Fisichella finally gets the drive he deserves or at least a better engine) and about Pedro no comment the facts speak for themselves.
Old 22 May 2000, 19:41 (Ref:1365)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry but I don't buy the Jos thing. He's not learned anything about race craft. OK the move was a good one but even he must have known that to make it stick he would need to be on the gas a lot earlier than he was. Which, of course made it a pretty dodgy and thoughtless move.

If he'd thought a bit more there may well have been two Arrows at the chequered flag.

Jos the Boss. Gimme a break.
Old 22 May 2000, 23:18 (Ref:1372)   #9
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you didn't see anything noteworthy about Schu's performance, Minardi fan, you're a tough customer to please.
Old 22 May 2000, 23:21 (Ref:1366)   #10
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Jos was stunning in that race - watch a replay of it to see how well he drove that Arrows.

And yes, Gene was up to 14th by the second lap. Stunning.

Old 22 May 2000, 23:30 (Ref:1373)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Minardi Fan,

I am pleased that you derive such pleasure from watching your favourites. You are truly a real F1 fan.

However. I am a realist and a race fan. I look for skill, assertiveness and the will to win. IMHO Shuie displayed all the qualities which I admire in a driver and therefore, to me, he more than deserved his win. He demoralised the opposition and put not a foot wrong. If people can't appreciate that then perhaps they really don't fully understand the sport.

However much I respect gustav Brunner, I can't believe he will be able to influence the fortunes of Minardi, but when they get their first win I will be cheering as loudly as anyone else.

I don't share the enthusiasm for Jos V or Mazzacane because in Jos' case he just has no race craft. In Mazzacane we have a driver who lucked in and is not actually performing that well compared with his team mate.

I'm sorry if people don't share my views but I don't mind because I will still post them.
Old 22 May 2000, 23:31 (Ref:1367)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Pete, you think only TGF made a good drive yesterday?
Old 23 May 2000, 06:38 (Ref:1368)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well Liz.

He made every move stick, was assertive and used the conditions to his best advantage. Remember it was the same for everyone.

I also agree that Jos and De La rosa went extremely well but Jos blew it with a thoughtless piece of driving (no race craft) which is, after all, his trademark. Imagine what TW would have done for a fifth and a sixth place?

Well done to De la Rosa for driving a good steady race.

Gene and Mazzacane? Can't even be bothered to think about them. They need an engine so that they can play with the bigger boys. Then we can judge whether they have good races or not.

Old 23 May 2000, 07:03 (Ref:1369)   #14
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schu? Unmatched. De La Rosa? Outstanding.

Verstappen? I'm afraid his finest moment came when he caught fire in the pits several seasons ago.
Old 23 May 2000, 08:26 (Ref:1370)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nuvolari:
Verstappen? I'm afraid his finest moment came when he caught fire in the pits several seasons ago.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very harsh. However he definitely showed promise in those early days. Maybe the fire changed his outlook on life?

Not being a Schuei fan per se I have to agree with Nuvolari on his assessment though.

Old 23 May 2000, 10:51 (Ref:1371)   #16
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Peter Mallett:

Gene and Mazzacane? Can't even be bothered to think about them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See Peter, here lies the problem once again, as highlighted by Cranky Mika moaning about backmarkers. Care to watch the back of the field Peter (theres more than 6 cars in a race you know) and you'll find plenty of racing - unlike up at the front.

Gene doesn't need a good engine to prove his ability in the car - he's already done that, and he is still improving all the time.

TGF? I really didn't see anything impressive about his drive. Nor that of Hakkinen, DC or Rubens.

However, mention De La Rosa or Verstappen, and NOW you're talking. Both drove probably the best races of their careers on Sunday.

GO MINARDI/ARROWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 23 May 2000, 13:04 (Ref:1374)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi Fan, if Michael lapped David and Rubens and it was one of his average races, just imagine what he was going to do if he really meant business!
Old 23 May 2000, 14:25 (Ref:1375)   #18
Tristan
Veteran

Topic title: Gaston, Pedro, Marc and Jos....

.....are the best drivers in F1. So there. I am right. You are wrong. Ha!
Old 23 May 2000, 18:08 (Ref:1376)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quite so Tristan.

BTW. How's that nice white jacket fitting? Comfortable is it?

Just show's how subjective people become when situations don't match expectations. keep posting folks its fun!!!
Old 23 May 2000, 18:31 (Ref:1377)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

Yeh, VERY comfortable. HOW AM I TYPING THIS??!! HUH!! OK, may be not THE best drivers, but they still whoop ass. The two best teams in F1 with the possible exception of Ferrari.

Come on Gaston; LET'S GET IT ON!!!
Old 23 May 2000, 19:20 (Ref:1378)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tristan:
Yeh, The two best teams in F1 with the possible exception of Ferrari.

Come on Gaston; LET'S GET IT ON!!!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok then. Define "best".
Old 23 May 2000, 21:23 (Ref:1379)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

MUST I defend myself? Very well: "Best" refers to the teams which are consistantly improving and are, in my opinion, doing well this season (granted Arrow's reliability has been something to behold)and I happen to have a soft spot for.

I BET you're a DC fan, or even (dare I say it) a Mac-head. So there.

(Minardi fan, where are you when I need you!)
Old 24 May 2000, 07:01 (Ref:1380)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
That's what I thought. You see, I am just a race fan. I like to see assertive driving and racers using the equipment to the best of their ability. (MH, DC, RB didn't cut it on Sunday). Minardi, Arrows, Prost, Sauber and to an extent Jaguar are built on your principles of a good bunch of people making an effort. They are currently not among the best, who can attract the sponsors and the drivers.

No. I am definitely NOT a DC, Macaroon, Ferrari, Shuey or any other fan. I just enjoy what I percieve as racing. I can't get excited about people who climb up from the back of the grid to (say) 15th and then claim to have driven a good race. And, I struggle with the concept of "constantly improving" when it means being lapped two or three times.

You see? Two opinions on the same topic. Good fun this debating isn't it?
Old 24 May 2000, 10:03 (Ref:1381)   #24
Tristan
Veteran

Point taken, and I doff my hat in your general direction. Very well said. I just get a bit worked up and passionate sometimes!

On a final note: MINARDI ROCKS!! COME ON!!!
Old 24 May 2000, 10:47 (Ref:1382)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Keep getting worked up chap.

Just don't be like that Minardi Fan blokee and take it tooooooo seriously.