Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Sep 2003, 16:13 (Ref:709304)   #1
ehasler
Rookie

ehasler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C-Type crash at Goodwood?

I've just heard from my girlfriend that there's been a nasty looking crash involving a C-Type at Goodwood.

Does anyone have any more info? Fingers crossed the driver is OK.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 17:01 (Ref:709332)   #2
Joe Twyman
Rookie

Joe Twyman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The action on the track here this afternoon has drawn to an early close during qualifying for the Freddie March Memorial Trophy.
With ten minutes of the official timed session still to run, the red flags came out after a nasty accident when Rupert Avon rolled his Jaguar C-type at Madgwick corner, the car coming to rest with the driver trapped underneath.
Marshalls were swiftly on the scene, and Rupert was taken away in an ambulance, an unfortunate end to a great day of track action.
We have no further news of his condition at this time.
With the session stopped, pole went to Martin Walford in Dean Butler's Allard J2R, and qualifying for the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy, which was to have taken place this afternoon, will now take place first think tomorrow morning.

Contact info: email: revival@goodwood.co.uk"
Old 5 Sep 2003, 17:45 (Ref:709367)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They just announced on Meridian news that there had been a very serious accident at Goodwood, perhaps it was this one.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 19:33 (Ref:709456)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any more news?
Old 5 Sep 2003, 19:58 (Ref:709478)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Any more news?
The only thing I find is the http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/3085226.stm
Old 5 Sep 2003, 20:01 (Ref:709483)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks RDJ. No news is good news.

On this subject I was thinking about Robbs Lamplough today. How is he?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 5 Sep 2003 at 20:02.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 21:26 (Ref:709585)   #7
HiRich
Racer

HiRich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Madgwick when the crash happened. It really did look nasty, and we walked away.

Rupert got slightly out of shape just after the first proper apex. He appeared to make a good correction, but the car came back a bit more than expected and drifted onto the grass. It all still looked good, but he then hit the gravel trap and was just far enough round for it to dig in.
I couldn't tell, but my brother reckons it rolled three times. It landed on its right hand side, but then fall back upside down. It did not have a roll cage.
It took about 20-30 seconds for the marshalls (and it appeared a few quick-witted spectators) to get the car back on its side. Rupert was pulled out, but there was no obvious movement (we were about 50yds back towards the start). The first ambulance arrived about a minute later. We moved on (didn't feel it appropriate to stand there gawping).
It was a long time before the ambulance moved on to the hospital, so I'm taking that as a positive sign. But he is incredibly lucky if he has avoided very serious injury.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 21:30 (Ref:709591)   #8
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds very nasty, lets hope we get some good news through soon.
Old 5 Sep 2003, 21:51 (Ref:709612)   #9
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
exactly
Old 6 Sep 2003, 08:29 (Ref:709910)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I just read on teletext that he is in ITU with serious head and chest injuries, lets pray he comes through it.
BTW who is Robbs Lamplough and what's the matter with him? the name is familiar but I can't place it.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 18:07 (Ref:711044)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Historic racer who had a massive accident in a GT3 Porsche some years ago.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 18:13 (Ref:711048)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was he the guy who was in a coma? Or am I getting confused with Stephen Langton?
Old 7 Sep 2003, 19:50 (Ref:711106)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Nope, you're not. I am. Apologies.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 21:25 (Ref:711199)   #14
Roger H
Rookie

Roger H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the guy in the coma who crashed the GT3 Porsche in France was Soames Langton, the son of Stephen Langton, who was killied some years ago at Silverstone.
Old 7 Sep 2003, 23:35 (Ref:711293)   #15
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I spent last night wondering what had happened to Robs Lamplough, so I am delighted to confirm that he was heartily racing at Goodwood this afternoon.

Soames Langton is indeed the historic driver who was injured in a contemporary GT race - I seem to recall it was at Nogaro. His father, Stephen Langton, was killed in an unpleasant accident in his Connaught at the support race to the 1985 European GP at Brands Hatch. That one is indelibly marked on my memory because I was unfortunate enough to be there and to witness it. Stephen was a breathtaking driver and a terrible loss to the historic scene.

I can only hope and pray that something positive is heard about Rupert Avon. Word from the circuit to be honest wasn't good, and I don't want to create any "chinese whispers" about the incident by speculating on what might have transpired. All I will say is that I am hoping against hope that Rupert's prognosis improves.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 07:50 (Ref:711476)   #16
Roger H
Rookie

Roger H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TimD,
You are right ocourse it was Brands Hatch and not Silverstone where the spectacular but unfortunate Stephen Langton had his accident.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 11:59 (Ref:711728)   #17
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
To add good news to this thread, I can report that Rupert, although still seriously ill, is off life support equipment and was well enough to be moved from St Richards hospital Chichester, to Southampton General for speciallist care.

I think it would do both him and his family good for as many of us to send get well cards to him there - I know how much this helped me in my hour of need.

Steve
Old 8 Sep 2003, 12:28 (Ref:711761)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
that is good news, fingers crossed for a full recovery for him.
Old 8 Sep 2003, 18:14 (Ref:712168)   #19
ROBSL
Rookie

ROBSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am very pleased that I was not in the 'C' Type that flipped at Madgewick. Looked v.nasty from the 'Drivers Mess'. Very lucky driver.
It does however raise the discussion(again?) about racing a car with seat belts and no roll over bars.
The advent of 'Gravel Bunkers' was being suggested around the paddock as a likely cause. Is anyone aware of any research that may or may not have been done on the subject?
thanks for your kind thoughts which rushed into perspective as I rotated at Woodcote.
Robsl
Old 9 Sep 2003, 07:32 (Ref:712722)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree with you - the first thing I did when I bought my car was put a rollbar and belts on it.
I hope he makes a speedy recovery. Is he new to the historic scene as I havent seen his name before?
Old 9 Sep 2003, 08:34 (Ref:712788)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
It seems to me that the most sensible solution would be to insist that all historic cars, if racing, have rollover bars fitted. I know this will upset the purists but in my opinion safety should be paramount. I would also suggest that open face helmets not be allowed in the case of open top cars as gravel can do unspeakable damage. As a marshal I have been unfortunate to be hit in the face by the occasional flying gravel and can tell you it hurts like hell. Imagine your face being dragged through the gravel trap unprotected!
Old 9 Sep 2003, 09:01 (Ref:712813)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I always use a full face and it does surprise me that some of the "old hands" use open face.
Old 9 Sep 2003, 09:10 (Ref:712821)   #23
ROBSL
Rookie

ROBSL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stephen
Its not always a simple as that. there are many factors eg are the bars to be full FIA spec, same for tall and short driver alike, permanent or removable fixture and so on. Also what type of racing Hill Climb or Race etc.
On full helmets - I raced over weekend in lotus 33 with open Helmet with a balaclava this takes the sting out of thrown gravel but will never be as good as full helmet.
I am not quite sure what you mean by open top. If you mean an Ac Cobra for example flying gravel should not be a problem behind a windscreen

ROBSL
ROBSL
Old 9 Sep 2003, 09:19 (Ref:712829)   #24
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all asthetics and romance and a hankering for something that is gone isn't it...perfect example Simon Diffey in his FJ in open face helmet http://members.fortunecity.com/psand...032003/fj1.jpg is far more evocative than this of Steve Smith in his Cooper
http://members.fortunecity.com/psand...032003/fj5.jpg

But Steven you absolutely right
Old 9 Sep 2003, 09:29 (Ref:712839)   #25
simon drabble
Veteran

I think he means when travelling in the gravel trap upside down!
Rob was yr earlier comment about bunkers referring to cars digging in when entering sideways?
Silverstone has clearly taken the view that tarmac run offs are ok. I guess Don and the driver at Goodwood would both agree that deep traps are not the most ideal solution. By the way any update on Rupert Avon? Lets hope his recovery is as successful as Don's