Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1277636)   #26
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
7.5 tonne lorries are very good value at the moment. We bought a one owner full history very tidy Daf 1998 vehicle for £6k. The advantage to a truck is that you get somewhere to store the racing car.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1279252)   #27
FilW
Racer

FilW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the best money we spent when we started was to buy our truck. It is a converted prison van so it isn't pretty but it has all the home comforts that the wife and boys need! It saves a fortune in accomodation and food costs, gives us somewhere dry to go during wet weather and tows the trailer at 60-70mph and returns 20-25mpg. The thought of tenting it at Cadwell is not one I would relish!
Old 16 Apr 2005, 07:23 (Ref:1279451)   #28
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilW
the best money we spent when we started was to buy our truck. It is a converted prison van so it isn't pretty but it has all the home comforts that the wife and boys need! It saves a fortune in accomodation and food costs,.............
So you keep them locked up all weekend, best way mate
Old 16 Apr 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1279491)   #29
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walshy
If your looking at buying new, then you can't go far wrong with the Hyundai's. 5 year warranty for piece of mind and 3 years free servicing and RAC cover.

The Terracan is a mighty 4x4 up there in size with the Shogun, but for a fraction of the cost. The Santa Fe is a bit smaller and then there is the Trajet which is the people carrier and all the seats can be removed. If you want to sleep in it, then it has to be the Trajet. It is massive inside when you get all the seats out.........

Thats true...
I use a SantaFe to tow my caravan(1500kg loaded) and the missus and 2 kids and all the junk that goes with them and it tows with relative ease to be honest...Not sure about fuel consumption as I have never really worked it out...I did have a Trajet as a loaner once and it was massive inside and would be a good vehicle of choice for towing/sleeping in as well..
Old 17 Apr 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1280651)   #30
Pug620
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Pug620 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have Wife and Kids then get a camper it makes then all feel involved and able to have some creature comforts if if its hissing down and best of all you can have a shower and a hot home made meal.

The MPG aren't that much diffrent with a trailer and you could even use it when you are not racing so as to earn more browny points to go racing more

Marty
Old 18 Apr 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1281022)   #31
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkesfire
If you have Wife and Kids then get a camper it makes then all feel involved and able to have some creature comforts if if its hissing down and best of all you can have a shower and a hot home made meal.

The MPG aren't that much diffrent with a trailer and you could even use it when you are not racing so as to earn more browny points to go racing more

Marty

Good shout.

I was looking into a Motorhome as they are ideal. But a new one is just too much and a used one? Well, some of them, you wouldn't keep your chickens in...

You would really need to make use of it though to justify it. Once you've paid for storing it, which can be quite expensive (don't want it sat at home all day) and taxed and insured it, you've got to make the most of it.

Better option than a wagon though as the wagon is stuck to using for racing. The motorhome as you said, can be used all year round. 3 weeks touring Europe sounds appealing.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1281618)   #32
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I bought an used "RV" last year, specifically to pull my "new" race trailer, which has a gross weight of 3500kg.

The combination is big, so it's not for the faint hearted!!

The motorhome is great. A KING SIZE double bed. The sofa converts to another double. Central heating, shower, proper flush toilet, cooker with oven, microwave, fridge freezer, hot running water, TV, video, DVD, etc... Room for the family.

And to make it all better - I bought it on eBay!

The downside - 7.2litres of Chevy V8 - the upside - it pulls like a train, and it's going to be converted to run on lpg.

If you go down the route of a motorhome, you have to consider it's pulling capacity. The Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Express/etc.. based vehicles can't cut the mustard when pulling, and their gross train weight means that you can't really pull much more than a tonne with them. A Merc Sprinter based home is OK for pulling a 1.5T trailer, but make sure it's got the biggest engine you can get.

Otherwise, it's gotta be an American jobby! Steer clear of Chevy V8 diesels. They don't do any more miles per gallon than the petrols, and derv is more expensive than unleaded!!

Rob.
Old 18 Apr 2005, 21:42 (Ref:1281623)   #33
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Go LPG Rob I can wholeheartedly recommend it. When they come down a bit in price I may by a Monaro and convert that . Got a good bloke in High Wycombe that has done about 4 for my mates now and I can highly recommend him.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 18 Apr 2005 at 21:42.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1282428)   #34
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al - www.tinleytech.co.uk

I'm going to convert the 'RV' in the coming months. 200L tank, straight forward conversion. I have already converted my Omega MV6 estate, I get about 20mpg on gas (lead right foot!), and thus is costs less to run that the wife's Zafira!!

Rob.
Old 19 Apr 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1282448)   #35
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Yes I have the Rangie on gas 36.9 per litre from Sainsburys Watford I have twin underslung tanks and I think it holds about 75 litres. It is a 5 speed manual as well so it really is quite economical to run and it has a gross towing weight of a whopping 3800kgs
Old 20 Apr 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1282900)   #36
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart
7.5 tonne lorries are very good value at the moment. We bought a one owner full history very tidy Daf 1998 vehicle for £6k. The advantage to a truck is that you get somewhere to store the racing car.

Very true. Did exactly the same for this year.
1998 Iveco 20ft Box for 7k + VAT in excellent condition, and there are alot around (just register them personally and not through a company). Unlimited roadside cover and tow anywhere in uk for £200 quid a year (not bad for a 7.5t). Will sit at 65 quite happily and good on diesel.

Tax & MOT the same as a car and insurance can be got fully comp for under 400quid (and thats for a 30year old).

We take car out once at circuit (and cover it up) and put two double airbeds in back of lorry, plus fridge etc.

Acts as excellent garage in between. Took the engine of the car in the back of the lorry last week.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 17:04 (Ref:1283164)   #37
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
ActiveMS.. Where to look for the trucks? I see the odd one in Autosport now and again. Your one, or the others that are available, are they racing trucks already? or need some mods? thanks.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1283211)   #38
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Visit your local truck dealer...
Plenty of Iveco's around since the 98 model mentioned has been updated twice now...
Best to go for is the 75E15...
Old generation engine and a lot less troublesome than the newer Tector unit..
I should know as I work for an Iveco dealer and we dont get many problems with the old 6 cylinder engine and all associated running gear..
Old 20 Apr 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1283349)   #39
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Iveco's - Buy one, get one free! Very cheap (and cheerful!) Beware rust, bits falling off. Parts are cheap, dealers are typical Ford type.... I have a Daily laying around here, and it's been as reliable as old boots. When things went wrong, the dealers were on the ball.

LDV/Leyland DAF - AVOID AVOID RUN AWAY RUN AWAY! (if they haven't all fallen apart already! - especially if you find red paint underneath)

Mercedes Benz - take out a mortgage - but running costs are usually low as they are damn reliable! However, don't show them hills - they don't like 'em!

Grab a copy of Commercial Motor from your newsagent. Zillions of ads in the back. The market is awash with s/h 7.5tonners.

Oddly enough, you can buy a unit & trailer for the price of a reasonable 7.5tonner.

Ron.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 21:51 (Ref:1283372)   #40
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing to think about as regards 7.5 tonne trucks is tail lifts. If you need a two stage tail lift and plan to have cars on two levels then a suitable tail lift can be expensive and quite challenging to make yourself.
If you are okay with a single stage lift or ramps then the thing is very straightforward.
Old 20 Apr 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1283378)   #41
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG
ActiveMS.. Where to look for the trucks? I see the odd one in Autosport now and again. Your one, or the others that are available, are they racing trucks already? or need some mods? thanks.

Dont bother with autosport unless you want one with an already lengthened tail lift, tie down points etc.
Use the Internet to search in the uk.

I bought mine from manchester (live in southeast). Bought without seeing even, took a 20quid flight from heathrow at 7am on a sat and was on the M6 at 9am with all the paperwork.

Look in normal autotrader and other trade press.
Depending on what you transport you will need to lengthen the tail lift, but it is not a huge problem unless you have a 1tonne saloon. I can put you in touch with quite a few people who can do the work for around £600 quid for a 12ft fold out lift of around 1tonne.

75E15 with a 5.9ltr Diesel Turbo engine are very good.

Put it this way, when you add up the price of a tow vehicle plus the cost of a decent enclosed trailer (BJ and the rest at £6k+VAT), plus the weight (when you add up the weight there are not a huge amount of vehicles that can tow 2500kgs), it costs way more than a 5-7k truck and trailers get stolen alot more than trucks do IMHO.

Good thing about a 7.5t is that you can drive one on a normal license if you passed before 1997.
Old 21 Apr 2005, 14:55 (Ref:1283891)   #42
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
thanks guys.. good stuff.
Old 26 Apr 2005, 13:03 (Ref:1287861)   #43
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use a Nissan Navara 4 wheel drive, 3 litre turbo diesel to tow my cars around down under and can thoroughly recommend it. 130 kph with 2000kgs behind and still 500 kilometers to a tankfull.
Old 27 Apr 2005, 08:34 (Ref:1288322)   #44
Ali Rushforth
Racer

England
Nr Wantage, Oxfordshire
Ali Rushforth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have an LDV Convoy, bought off e-bay as a mini bus.

Sold all extra seats (on e-bay) then had it converted to a "day van". Cooker, sink, oven, fridge, bed above cab area, loads of storage, toilet and in the back (From wheels arches backwards) is workshop area for tool boxes, compressor etc.

The van has to be able for "multi use" as as well as towing race car to meetings and providing a bit of luxury. It's also used for Karting and taking the 3 kids out for long weekends etc!!!

Only just had it converted and have yet to put it to the test but having driving the length of the country to bring it home, fuel eccon looks good and the kids seem to love the idea of sleeping in the van when we go racing!!!
Old 28 Apr 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1289519)   #45
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Rushforth
We have an LDV Convoy, bought off e-bay as a mini bus.

Sold all extra seats (on e-bay) then had it converted to a "day van". Cooker, sink, oven, fridge, bed above cab area, loads of storage, toilet and in the back (From wheels arches backwards) is workshop area for tool boxes, compressor etc.

The van has to be able for "multi use" as as well as towing race car to meetings and providing a bit of luxury. It's also used for Karting and taking the 3 kids out for long weekends etc!!!

Only just had it converted and have yet to put it to the test but having driving the length of the country to bring it home, fuel eccon looks good and the kids seem to love the idea of sleeping in the van when we go racing!!!
Have you got any pictures of it????????
Old 29 Apr 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1290345)   #46
Ali Rushforth
Racer

England
Nr Wantage, Oxfordshire
Ali Rushforth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure I can organise some photo's of it although I may need help with getting them on here!!!

Without trying to discourage anyone from the LDV, the company that did our conversion (somewhere up North) had never done one, but they do specilise in one off's to meet the customers individual spec. That's not to say that other people can't do it!! The chap was very pleased with his work and so were we!!

Like I said before, it's more of an all-round day van as opposed to camper, but there is a bed above drivers head that will fit my kids in!! and workshop area with power at the very rear, (missus thinks it's for pushchair and shopping!!!)

will try and take photo this weekend, and again next week as it's having some subtle, camper style graphics done!! (with a motorsport theme!!!!)
Old 3 May 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1292069)   #47
JNWRF01
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire
JNWRF01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of interest - does anyone know of Van Hire places that supply vans with Towbars (to tow a FF) - have called my local places and no joy.

Am based in between Bedford and St Neots. Tks
Old 4 May 2005, 06:45 (Ref:1292576)   #48
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we hired vans from Eurodrive several years ago that had tow bars attatched, that was Didcot in Oxfordhire, so not really on your doorstep. Why don't you just buy a cheap hatchback & fit a tow bar, I towed all last season with a P reg 1.8 mondeo no trouble at all, I might add it is for sale this week still with tow bar £825. By the time you've hired a van for ten outings this season, some outings requiring two or more days of hire depending on meeting or where in the country you will probably spend a grand or more on hire. Best of luck with what ever you choose
Old 8 May 2005, 20:12 (Ref:1296010)   #49
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I use a 'P' reg Laguna,2.2 diesel,does the job very well,about 30+ towing,very comfy seats and good long legs for motorway cruising,its a hatch but get everything in without using the rear seats but,have a workshop to rectifie minor mechanical problems.
If from choice,and I could get my wife in it,I would convert or buy a ready converted Sprinter,bloody fast,very comfortable,very economical and good second hand value.
Old 8 May 2005, 20:31 (Ref:1296025)   #50
Pug620
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
Pug620 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sprinters may be good but they are thirst if you boot them or tow with them i run two at work and the best i can get out of them is 24mpg but still its better than the new transits as they are thristy .

i run a fiat ducato motorhome huge great thing and this still gets 24mpg + driving it flat out with or without the trailer.

marty