Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 3 Mar 2001, 15:09 (Ref:67828)   #1
F1FansClub
Racer

F1FansClub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

May I contribute the first main post to this forum by asking how you can really start in Kart racing. Of course you can go and join a local Kart club or track and just start racing but is training neccessary? How much does it all cost?

I'm interested in starting just for the fun of it and not as a serious thing but would just like some more information on the subject first.

Ally
Old 4 Mar 2001, 09:28 (Ref:68061)   #2
Rob Hogenmiller
Rookie

Rob Hogenmiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It can cost anywhere from $5000 US dollars to $25,000 dollars a year for a full year of racing.

Depending on the class and kart you choose.

Thanks Rob Hogenmiller
rob@nationalkarting.com
www.nationalkarting.com
Old 8 Mar 2001, 16:16 (Ref:69395)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
F1 Fans Club.

the best way is to do what you have already stated ..go to your local track have a look around and talk to the people involved ..they should steer you in the right direction.

if you want to just race for fun the costs can still be pretty high...I started out by buying a second hand kart for around $2000 oz dollars and then you need a suit and a helmet and gloves and boots..the biggest cost is a trailer and all your tools...and then you need a licence and club registration..it can get pretty expensive..but in my view is well worth it..actual running costs are not that high its just setting up for it.

you dont need alot of traing at all..i had only 2 days practise before my first ever race ..mind you I finished last but they wernt that far ahead of me.

you dont have to be super fit either ..believe me im no michael Schumacher..but a little upper body wieght training is probably a good idea as it can get pretty tiring for the arms and shoulders.

anyway let us know if you do take it up and tell us how your going
Old 9 Mar 2001, 17:02 (Ref:69664)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm very pleased to see a Karting forum as I intend (eventually) to get myself started in it.

Old 19 Mar 2001, 03:45 (Ref:72620)   #5
Richard Kelly
Rookie

Richard Kelly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone,

I've raced karts for about six or seven years, and even though I have gone on to other forms of motorsport (rallying and racing a Lotus 7 in classics) I alsways seem to come back to karts because the grin factor is the highest and the cost factor is the smallest.

For anyone thinking of getting into it, the best way is (in my opinion anyway) to get out there and join a club. Kart racing here in New Zealand is very family orientated (Mum, Dad and the Kids all race) and there is always someone willing to lend a hand and show you the ropes.

I was pretty surpised to see the esimated cost of US$5000 ($approx NZ$10,000) as an entry level, as here NZ$3 - 5000 will get you a nice Kiwi Kart or AX 5/ 6 setup and all the bits you need to go racing. My first kart, a KiwiKart FX Pro with a KT100 cost me $1200, plus about another $800 in suit, helmet tools and club and race licence.

Compared to the Hanmer Rally I did last year, which cost three times that for the one event, karts are great value.

Ongoing costs are engine rebuilds at about NZ$400 - $600 once or twice a year, and two or three sets of tyres a year at NZ$205 a set. On top of that oil is the next most expensive item and then fuel.

I think they are also the quickest way to polish your driving skills before heading to a car meeting, any problems in your driving style usually show up very quickly!

For me though, the biggest thing is how much fun I have had.

Last edited by Richard Kelly; 19 Mar 2001 at 03:46.
Old 19 Mar 2001, 14:20 (Ref:72700)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
welcome to ten tenths Richard..glad to hear that a former karter still finds great enjoyment out of kart racing.
Old 4 Apr 2001, 23:30 (Ref:77510)   #7
smiffy43
Rookie

smiffy43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting Karting

I can tell you one thing over in Britain Karting is cheaper it has cost me £600 for one years karting,i dont know what that is in dollars.I didnt need any training as i am heavy footed anyway. I currently hold 6 trophys and intend on going to france karting next year with the top guys.

Hope that was any help.

Steve
Old 4 Apr 2001, 23:41 (Ref:77512)   #8
Rob Hogenmiller
Rookie

Hey Steve,

Sounds pretty cheap. I'm told that's around $1300 US dollars. A whole season of racing? Maybe that is what it cost you after you got sponsors and such but let's be realistic. Someone new to the sport probably won't bring many sponsors aboard, although not impossible.

You would be hard pressed to find a kart for $1300.

What about tires, entry fees, traveling costs?

You have some of the best if not the best right in your home country. No need to go to France.

As matter of fact you have the 2000 European Formula A Champ is from there. If your willing to travel to France might be worth it to travel to him and practice with him.

It could make you quicker.
Old 4 Apr 2001, 23:55 (Ref:77516)   #9
smiffy43
Rookie

smiffy43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting Karting

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Hogenmiller
Hey Steve,

Sounds pretty cheap. I'm told that's around $1300 US dollars. A whole season of racing? Maybe that is what it cost you after you got sponsors and such but let's be realistic. Someone new to the sport probably won't bring many sponsors aboard, although not impossible.

You would be hard pressed to find a kart for $1300.

What about tires, entry fees, traveling costs?

You have some of the best if not the best right in your home country. No need to go to France.

As matter of fact you have the 2000 European Formula A Champ is from there. If your willing to travel to France might be worth it to travel to him and practice with him.

It could make you quicker.

I didnt have to buy a kart i had one allready,i just did some work to it,and it cost about 50£ to do up.All it needed was a new rockershaft.

I found it easy enough to get sponsers i got loads.i had all the gear clothing ect b4 i started karting so that was a bonus aswell.Travelling costs is hardly anything because i live around the corner from the place where i practise,its an indoor arena, good one too.

So , you see its not impossible.u just got to know stuff about fixing engines and u could save alot of money.

steve.
Old 18 Apr 2001, 17:10 (Ref:82012)   #10
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indoor karting

What's indoor karting like? Isn't it fairly cheap (in UK)?
Old 22 Apr 2001, 13:10 (Ref:83538)   #11
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is the first step to joining a decent UK karting series?

What's the price like?

I live in Hampshire, anywhere I could get started near here?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 22 Apr 2001, 16:41 (Ref:83612)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Hi Nicholas..im not sure about the Uk..but it shouldnt be to hard to join a good series over there..i will have a hunt around for you and see what i can find.
Old 7 May 2001, 04:08 (Ref:89827)   #13
Rob Hogenmiller
Rookie

Hey Nicholas,

Are you looking for an indoor series or outdoor series?

Shoot me an email rob@nationalkarting.com