Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 4 Aug 2018, 00:45 (Ref:3841259)   #1
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IMSA 2018 State of the Series

Lots of stuff in here .....

https://www.facebook.com/IMSA/videos/1812723675472543/

L.P.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3841267)   #2
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I just looked at the first press releases .... Sprint Cup for GTD? Two prototype classes?

And what really matters ... a new million-dollar logo for the 50th anniversary. Now we can all sleep easy.

I will be back after I have pondered and digested and hopefully will have something of worth to regurgitate.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 02:06 (Ref:3841275)   #3
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also they placed PLM on a very bad weekend. PLM goes up against the biggest amateur race of the year, the SCCA Runoffs, which are being held at VIR and is expecting to draw anywhere between 800-1000 cars over all the invited classes (24-26 classes). This is going to be a crunch for some crews and especially the F&C workers as SCCA helps supplies workers for both races.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3841459)   #4
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read another comment on another site but it was spot on. Now we have a PC class again. I was really wanting to see it come back and LMP2 is pretty much as close as it gets. It will open up that LMP2 class to more rich gentlemen and thus make the racing even better just like it was in the old days.

Three GTD classes even adds to the excitement and will be just the icing on the cake.

We need to have a competition as to who can make more classes, PWC or IMSA.

A suggestion, add GT4 Pro as a class in Weathertech and have three championships for them too. I know that GT2 has to be on the next class for consideration.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 22:02 (Ref:3841486)   #5
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
It will open up that LMP2 class to more rich gentlemen and thus make the racing even better just like it was in the old days---when PCs caused yellow flags every 17 laps or so.
Fixed that for you.
Old 4 Aug 2018, 22:07 (Ref:3841487)   #6
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think he was being sarcastic.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3841542)   #7
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I think he was being sarcastic.
Wow .... that is embarrassing. I guess I was too blinded by my own bitterness to see it. ugh.

It is actually pretty obvious, looking back. When I first read the post, I just thought, "There is someone with whom I disagree strongly, but I won't pick a huge fight." Glad I didn't.
Old 5 Aug 2018, 23:41 (Ref:3841746)   #8
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Decided to take meeting minutes from the Ask Atherton podcast on RadioLeMans.com:
-Ruled out having 4 class color codes. Will stick to red for pro and green for pro am. Justification is that it is easy to tell apart a prototype and GT car by their looks so the color just needs to separate the 2 classes within each spec of car.
- IMSA will never share weekend with IndyCar at Watkins Glen
-Atherton wants series to go back to Portland
-Nervous that IndyCar and IMSA races in 2019 are scheduled close to each other. But making sure that they don’t take away resources from promoting IMSA race
-Would love Road America race to be longer but admits he can’t due to full season costs/hours racing
-Atherton thinks that an LMP2 could potentially still compete with DPI cars overall potentially at a race like Daytona
-No new DPI manufacturers are imminent (at least says publicly)
-Silver driver status is performance/data driven not who writes the checks
Old 6 Aug 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3841772)   #9
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Decided to take meeting minutes from the Ask Atherton podcast on RadioLeMans.com:
-Ruled out having 4 class color codes. Will stick to red for pro and green for pro am. Justification is that it is easy to tell apart a prototype and GT car by their looks so the color just needs to separate the 2 classes within each spec of car.
That's fine when you're looking at a car. But the timing tower doesn't always have a car. So when you're looking at a generic amateur surname, you sometimes have absolutely no idea what class it is.

This one is just stupid. It takes almost no effort to make it a little bit easier to see what's going on.

Rest of it seems fair enough.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3841838)   #10
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not make all of the end plates have an item just like for track position? Then it will have the driver ranking listed as to who is driving the car at the time. That way, the fans would be more involved because when the see a P, they know they will be able to take a break and go to the bathroom. When there's a B, they know they can start the "office pool" as to when the next FCY comes out.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3841860)   #11
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
-Silver driver status is performance/data driven not who writes the checks
They've said that every f****ng year since the merger and never actually execute on it. Never. But hey, most people believe them every year and some keep coming back so why change it.

-mike
Old 6 Aug 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3841876)   #12
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
They've said that every f****ng year since the merger and never actually execute on it. Never. But hey, most people believe them every year and some keep coming back so why change it.

-mike
You are probably right. Interesting to note that I think GTD has fewer super silvers this year than in the past. Granted grid numbers overall are down too. Madison Snow and Katherine Legge are certainly super silvers. That's about it from what I can analyze though. Not a coincidence they are 1st (Snow w/Sellers) and 2nd in season points standings.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3841901)   #13
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post

-mike
This is why they do it. It's because they want you to stop spending money in PWC and go back to them because they will fix the problem. Promise, they will. This time is different.

Since that's settled, what class are you running in for 2019? I think LMP2 is where you need to go. No more fake rankings and no more factories to deal with. All of this will be cheaper as IMSA has instituted drastic cuts in cost. Expect all rental seats to be around 40% less for 2019.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 18:30 (Ref:3841905)   #14
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
You are probably right. Interesting to note that I think GTD has fewer super silvers this year than in the past. Granted grid numbers overall are down too. Madison Snow and Katherine Legge are certainly super silvers. That's about it from what I can analyze though. Not a coincidence they are 1st (Snow w/Sellers) and 2nd in season points standings.
Then you have guys like Lawson. How many times does that guy need to win championships and most of the time is driving one of the few GM products out there yet never gets past Gold. Then there Paul Holton. The guy is a factory McLaren driver (it's on the IMSA site) yet being factory means, you can't still run in GS (where Platinum is banned). Billy Johnson can't run because he's Platinum because he was a Ford Factory driver. McLaren is OK but Ford is not.

Good to see that IMSA will fix this. Last thing we need are team announcements in November only to find that they complain because the drivers they signed can't run because they are ranked too high. Then they go appeal and in the end, get accepted. Pretty much the same situation that has happened ever since they instituted driver rankings.
Old 6 Aug 2018, 19:33 (Ref:3841928)   #15
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
This is why they do it. It's because they want you to stop spending money in PWC and go back to them because they will fix the problem. Promise, they will. This time is different.

Since that's settled, what class are you running in for 2019? I think LMP2 is where you need to go. No more fake rankings and no more factories to deal with. All of this will be cheaper as IMSA has instituted drastic cuts in cost. Expect all rental seats to be around 40% less for 2019.
GTD sprint cup sounds plausible to. Especially since somebody has until May of next year to get a program organized and funded. That's about 9 months away.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 02:37 (Ref:3841979)   #16
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
GTD sprint cup sounds plausible to. Especially since somebody has until May of next year to get a program organized and funded. That's about 9 months away.
I always like these mini championships within the season when it comes to a pro series. This is a May to September season and it shorter than what most do for SCCA Club. The schedule is interesting. Run two races, get a month off then 5 races in 3 months.

Then for the Enduro guys, it's Jan, Mar, Jun then 3 months to Oct.

Best part is, if you start with PWC Sprint X and get ticked off with the BOP, you can announce you'll switch to IMSA Sprint X. If IMSA Sprint X doesn't work out for it's first race then you can go back to PWC Sprint X.

Too bad IMSA is missing out on Canada's and the US independence days. I guess it makes no sense to do it on the last weekend of June at Mosport or the first weekend of July at Lime Rock. Having the Road Atlanta event the same weekend as the runoffs at VIR was a smooth move too. Everyone knew since the end of January when it was. Having it on the weekend before was not an option for Road Atlanta. Maybe IMSA should have talked to the track owner.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 04:00 (Ref:3841984)   #17
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I always like these mini championships within the season when it comes to a pro series. This is a May to September season and it shorter than what most do for SCCA Club. The schedule is interesting. Run two races, get a month off then 5 races in 3 months.

Then for the Enduro guys, it's Jan, Mar, Jun then 3 months to Oct.

Best part is, if you start with PWC Sprint X and get ticked off with the BOP, you can announce you'll switch to IMSA Sprint X. If IMSA Sprint X doesn't work out for it's first race then you can go back to PWC Sprint X.

Too bad IMSA is missing out on Canada's and the US independence days. I guess it makes no sense to do it on the last weekend of June at Mosport or the first weekend of July at Lime Rock. Having the Road Atlanta event the same weekend as the runoffs at VIR was a smooth move too. Everyone knew since the end of January when it was. Having it on the weekend before was not an option for Road Atlanta. Maybe IMSA should have talked to the track owner.
We get it, you like to think you're funny and sarcasticly but in fact your posts are enough to just drive those of us who are would like to actually TALK about the cars and the series to just tell tenths to F off and def not pay a cent for the same bs I can get on the other sites with less news.

As for the competing with the runoffs? Wow, delusional much. There's ZERO fan impact between the two, if you aren't attending the runoffs are you watching their streaming if there is such a thing? And if you're attending Petit I don't think you're torn between attending the runoffs or Petit. So to say there's any influence shows your bias toward the runoffs and maybe just consider only watching club racing if that matters so much. I have and honestly it's more boring than paint drying in a dark closet
Old 7 Aug 2018, 14:33 (Ref:3842115)   #18
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
As unfortunate as it is from a corner worker perspective that Petit 2019 and the Runoffs 2019 are scheduled on the same weekend, it's no big deal at all as it might affect only 25 or so corner workers who won't be able to attend them both. No one is gonna reschedule for that.

I don't see a lot of overlap between the two events either but fail to understand why one should choice between Pro and Club racing - both have their charms and between the two there's plenty to enjoy and dislike at the same time.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 14:59 (Ref:3842121)   #19
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
As unfortunate as it is from a corner worker perspective that Petit 2019 and the Runoffs 2019 are scheduled on the same weekend, it's no big deal at all as it might affect only 25 or so corner workers who won't be able to attend them both. No one is gonna reschedule for that.

I don't see a lot of overlap between the two events either but fail to understand why one should choice between Pro and Club racing - both have their charms and between the two there's plenty to enjoy and dislike at the same time.
The corner worker situation must not be overlooked. VIR has more stations and they usually rotate workers through out the week of the Runoffs so one worker doesn't work everyday. I already know of 4 people other than myself who will be working the Runoffs over PLM and the one lives less than an hour from Road Atlanta. I honestly believe this wouldn't be an issue at all of IMSA allowed the corner workers to do our job which would also help the overall racing too.

Now for the overlap it will depend on the support series running and how many of those drivers are also regular SCCA drivers also. As more than likely PLM will be the finally for any support series. If a driver isn't in the running for a title and has a shot at a Runoffs win they will more than likely go for the Runoffs to save money and have a shot at a Runoffs win.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3842124)   #20
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I've been a sportscar racing fan since the early 1990's and I've never even heard of the "scca runoffs". I'm sure its not a big deal. Schedule for 2019 is just fine. Great that the 2 all GT races are still preserved. I think the sprint cup thing has potential too. Especially with the time teams have to get that program set up still. Maybe the new LMP2 category could have a shorter schedule to help with budgets there. But that is something that can still be adjusted in the next few months.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 16:03 (Ref:3842135)   #21
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
The corner worker situation must not be overlooked. VIR has more stations and they usually rotate workers through out the week of the Runoffs so one worker doesn't work everyday. I already know of 4 people other than myself who will be working the Runoffs over PLM and the one lives less than an hour from Road Atlanta. I honestly believe this wouldn't be an issue at all of IMSA allowed the corner workers to do our job which would also help the overall racing too.

Now for the overlap it will depend on the support series running and how many of those drivers are also regular SCCA drivers also. As more than likely PLM will be the finally for any support series. If a driver isn't in the running for a title and has a shot at a Runoffs win they will more than likely go for the Runoffs to save money and have a shot at a Runoffs win.
At the risk of going too far off topic, can you elaborate on the constraints IMSA has on corner workers?

I agree about the draw on workers and potentially drivers, but also the contingency support people, i.e. tires, brakes, lubricants, electronics, etc.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3842138)   #22
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I've been a sportscar racing fan since the early 1990's and I've never even heard of the "scca runoffs". I'm sure its not a big deal.
Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) National Championships. 26 (?) classes, 600+ cars, each class with their own race over the three day weekend, to decide National Class Champions for each class. Don't dismiss as 'amateur,' as loads of the drivers are very talented and are either trying to work their way up into Professional racing, so they treat racing as their hobby and they maintain normal lives away from the track (I will admit to struggling to come up with a correct phrasing on that..). The corner workers come out of SCCA's programs to train workers to support events around the country, and works to support pro races in each region with their highly trained and accomplished workers--who are not paid and do it for the pleasure of being part of the show, in sun and rain and dust and mud, at their own expense. Petit would be an honor for them to work, but so would the Runoffs, and that the events are the same week and weekend in the same general area may present some challenges with the amount of staff these events require.

Many American pro drivers got their start in SCCA amateur ranks.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3842143)   #23
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
At the risk of going too far off topic, can you elaborate on the constraints IMSA has on corner workers?

I agree about the draw on workers and potentially drivers, but also the contingency support people, i.e. tires, brakes, lubricants, electronics, etc.
Basically we are not allowed to respond to any incident on track and are to be kept behind the wall at all times except between on-track sessions even then its at race controls discretion. Most SCCA races/tracks allow for us to respond and VIR is one of them. One example of this is the GTD Viper fire in 2014 at Sebring. Workers were nearby and were ready to respond but couldn't because of IMSA's rules. The same applies to debris on track when we would have more than enough of a gap to get it but aren't allowed to. Another is that in SCCA is if the car was far enough off track and in a safe area (usually from a mechanical) we would leave the car till the next needed caution in an endurance race or would get the car between on-track sessions. All of these examples are some of the NASCARification of the series to allow for more cautions to allow for closer (i.e. manufactured) racing which is taking the endurance aspect out.
Old 7 Aug 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3842154)   #24
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Wow, thanks!
Old 7 Aug 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3842204)   #25
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
We get it, you like to think you're funny and sarcasticly but in fact your posts are enough to just drive those of us who are would like to actually TALK about the cars and the series to just tell tenths to F off and def not pay a cent for the same bs I can get on the other sites with less news.

As for the competing with the runoffs? Wow, delusional much. There's ZERO fan impact between the two, if you aren't attending the runoffs are you watching their streaming if there is such a thing? And if you're attending Petit I don't think you're torn between attending the runoffs or Petit. So to say there's any influence shows your bias toward the runoffs and maybe just consider only watching club racing if that matters so much. I have and honestly it's more boring than paint drying in a dark closet
Sorry. So the SCCA Runoffs is just not important at all and it means nothing. It's some rinky dink event that brings in nobody. Thanks for bringing that up and please let all SCCA people know that, They will be happy to hear that.