Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 12 Jun 2018, 16:49 (Ref:3828683)   #51
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's kind of weird how it's being handled as I thought it was BMW's turn in the backdoor cabinets to be the winner this year, because of the comeback. Not Ford's again, or certainly Porsche's (thanks to leaving P1)

But then again I have to remind myself that BMW were the masters of sandbagging in the M3 GT2 era, just as AMR's been after them. And you only have to look what they "magically" did between Daytona and Sebring this year too, for what was a new car.

Added to that the BoP probably changes again between qualifying 3 and warm-up anyway so this doesn't necessarily mean anything yet
Old 12 Jun 2018, 17:24 (Ref:3828686)   #52
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven’t kept up with regs, when is the last time they can change BoP, surely not post qualifying?
Old 12 Jun 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3828687)   #53
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats the reason for balancing the Lambda value?I Know that Lamda ist the

Air–fuel ratio. Ferrari and BMW have a min Lamba greater than 1.
The means they have to drive very lean. Whats the reason to balance that?
http://www.gt-eins.at/cgi-bin/GT1-Fo...ans_120618.pdf
Old 12 Jun 2018, 18:00 (Ref:3828693)   #54
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
Just depends whether Aston can get rid of all that sand during free practice!
You can't sandbag that much without the organisers noticing.
Old 12 Jun 2018, 18:16 (Ref:3828696)   #55
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
Haven’t kept up with regs, when is the last time they can change BoP, surely not post qualifying?
You live in the world of old - the sensible world. But that's not the one we live in anymore. They can change it "whenever", literally in the words of Beaumesnil.

In 2016 every single model got rebopped with either penalties or gifts (in some cases both) from the results of qualifying 1-3
Old 12 Jun 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3828697)   #56
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was about to joke that one day we'll see a mid-race BoP, but we already got that with the Land Audi at Daytona.
Old 12 Jun 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3828702)   #57
kyoung
Racer

United States
kyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
You live in the world of old - the sensible world. But that's not the one we live in anymore. They can change it "whenever", literally in the words of Beaumesnil.

In 2016 every single model got rebopped with either penalties or gifts (in some cases both) from the results of qualifying 1-3
I realized long ago that racing has become pure spectacle so maybe I was better off ignoring the regs and just enjoy the product for what it was-is. Broke my boycott and looked at the latest bulletin and realized just how ridiculous it has become. 1st stint no more than 11 laps, 14 thereafter with min-max fueling time making pit and fuel strategy of no consequence. Hells bells just bring on the electric cars and be done with it.
Old 12 Jun 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3828703)   #58
Deleted
Veteran

Yes...

GTEs do their work just fine as (admittedly fairly pretty) traffic obstacles, though.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3828857)   #59
Deleted
Veteran

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/c...ight-increase/

Although Fehan does not expect Corvette to be quickest on Wednesday, he believes a further evaluation of the BoP could take place depending on the times set.

Oh really... Same to this from AMR:

“It’s not quite as much as we requested"

"As we requested" I love it
Old 13 Jun 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3828973)   #60
Mountain Man
Racer

Mountain Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche seem desperate for a pre race BoP downgrade
Old 13 Jun 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3828985)   #61
Maggo
Racer

Germany
Maggo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Manthey did this year the same at 24h Nürburgring. Never sandbagging and they won.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 17:04 (Ref:3829002)   #62
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At the rate Aston will get a massive boost increase etc.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 23:04 (Ref:3829189)   #63
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
At the rate Aston will get a massive boost increase etc.
Perhaps yesterday's gift was not enough. They will beg for more tonight and tomorrow morning. u wanna bet? Now comes the mystery!
Old 14 Jun 2018, 00:45 (Ref:3829195)   #64
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Nonetheless, they think it's the track that has gone quicker. I still think we are in for a BOP swing on Friday.

Quote:
Pascal Zurlinden, Overall Project Manager GT Factory Motorsport : "Our clear goal was to be at the forefront of qualifying. We've been working on that since the pretest. Gianmaria Bruni gave it all and made a dream round at the beginning of qualifying. We knew that this would only work in the beginning because there was little traffic on the track. The great result with three Porsche 911 RSR in the first three positions in the GTE-Am class shows us how well our customers understand the car. If you look at the times in all classes, you can see that the track has become at least three seconds faster than last year. "

Gianmaria Bruni (Porsche 911 RSR # 91) : "I had a fantastic first lap with little traffic so I was able to get everything out of the car. In the second lap, I'm on Turn One just as I did in the previous lap. But when turning the car broke out suddenly and I landed in the gravel. When I got out, I saw that I had a puncture on the front right. I am very happy about my great time.

Last edited by Articus; 14 Jun 2018 at 00:50.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 03:05 (Ref:3829199)   #65
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Impressive what Ferrari has done with so little benefit from the BOP. That car 40kg lighter than the 1291kg (highest in class) that they currently run. Smallest fuel capacity, lowest boost ratios, highest weight in category.

We know that car is economical on fuel, tires, and the driver. That's what I would want to be in over 24 hours. Is their a 911 driver who hasn't spun off in free practice? Those cars don't look comfortable on the track at all despite the speed they have shown.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 11:20 (Ref:3829252)   #66
OmerRS
Rookie

OmerRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Impressive what Ferrari has done with so little benefit from the BOP. That car 40kg lighter than the 1291kg (highest in class) that they currently run. Smallest fuel capacity, lowest boost ratios, highest weight in category.

We know that car is economical on fuel, tires, and the driver. That's what I would want to be in over 24 hours. Is their a 911 driver who hasn't spun off in free practice? Those cars don't look comfortable on the track at all despite the speed they have shown.
Actually Ferrari has higher boost ratios than Aston Martin and Ford.

Old 14 Jun 2018, 12:33 (Ref:3829270)   #67
kyoung
Racer

United States
With fuel and pit strategy gone, that leaves only reliability and pace. Short of attrition or a BoP change I don’t see how the porkies lose this thing, I mean they are not AMR after all.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 15:08 (Ref:3829301)   #68
GriffM3
Racer

United States
Houston, TX
GriffM3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoung View Post
With fuel and pit strategy gone, that leaves only reliability and pace. Short of attrition or a BoP change I don’t see how the porkies lose this thing, I mean they are not AMR after all.

Agreed and the ACO won't dare BOP their prized mark to the levels of the rest of the cars running so congrats Porsche on the victory...really well earned.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 18:15 (Ref:3829384)   #69
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Hey the Ford does not have that buzzing sound anymore when it breaks.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3829385)   #70
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Ok so the Corvettes are 14th and 15th overall GT right now. I still can't rule them out of this seriously. They are the goonies of GT racing.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3829411)   #71
kyoung
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Ok so the Corvettes are 14th and 15th overall GT right now. I still can't rule them out of this seriously. They are the goonies of GT racing.
If it wasn’t for the rule changes I might agree, but pit stops and fuel strategy doesn’t count for much now. Porsche, Ferrari and Ford are faster, as reliable, and have more bullets. It would take a racing apocalypse for them to podium as things are right now. Not saying it can’t happen, but it’s pretty unlikely. Hope I’m wrong though, I am a Corvette Racing Fan.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 22:26 (Ref:3829538)   #72
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post

The drivers have said as much. The rear is loose and it seems the car has been optimised for as much straight line speed as possible. Whether or not they add a little more down force for the race to try and preserve the tyres is another question. You would imagine they will but i guess we wont know until the end of the first stint.
Old 14 Jun 2018, 23:31 (Ref:3829554)   #73
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
When is the new BoP update coming out with a few bonuses and benefits for Aston Martin? You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. Prodrive surfs well.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 02:46 (Ref:3829567)   #74
Articus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
When is the new BoP update coming out with a few bonuses and benefits for Aston Martin? You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. Prodrive surfs well.
Historically the ACO makes token pre-race BOP adjustments. Last year the Porsche was allowed to remove 8kg before the race.... The year before that, the Ferrari and the Ford were slapped with similarly inconsequential negative adjustments.

ACO can use the performance of the GTE-Am Porsches which are the same weight, but a 0.4mm smaller restrictor (29.9mm), as a benchmark for over adjustment. I think the Porsche will see a restrictor cut to 30.1mm which is the specification they were given last year.

They may also get an inconsequential weight penalty of 10kg or so.
Old 15 Jun 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3829617)   #75
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I hear that Bruni's car is going to have to run on 2CV tyres...….