Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2006, 17:06 (Ref:1752043)   #1
Paulc
Rookie

Paulc has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Best overtaking move ever in F1?

Wow I forgot about this how brave was Hakkinen not to lift off and trust the back marker not to move over.I dont know who the back marker was but total respect to him as he has the savvy to check his mirrors each side and stay put! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQ-o...elated&search=
Old 28 Oct 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1752050)   #2
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ricardo Zonta
Old 28 Oct 2006, 17:31 (Ref:1752055)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That one was pretty bold and brave. Alonso on Michael at 130R last year is my favourite though - nobody thought you could overtake at that corner. JPM at Brazil 2002 was just one of his many great moves. Mansell made some great ones as well - Silverstone 1987 and Mexico 1990 come to mind as classics. Before that era, I'm not so sure.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1752065)   #4
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
JV going around Schumacher on the outside at......?....in....? Memory's just not what it used to be, I'll find it.

Last edited by Last2LiftOff; 28 Oct 2006 at 17:47.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1752073)   #5
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jacques Vs Michael @ Estoril 1996

Last edited by ASCII Man; 28 Oct 2006 at 18:07.
Old 28 Oct 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1752077)   #6
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know about ever. But this year i have to say....
M.S on Raikkonen at Brazil.
And
M.S on Alonso at China (i think) In the wet, when he slipped up that gap on the inside. Nothing special Just Courageous. (sp)
Old 28 Oct 2006, 19:28 (Ref:1752112)   #7
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Yep, that's it ASCII, thanks. I knew I'd find it
Old 29 Oct 2006, 06:32 (Ref:1752387)   #8
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone has Mansell on Berger at Mexico 90 I urge them to post it, it's the most amazing overtake I think I have ever seen, you can't go around the outside of peraltada but he does.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1752484)   #9
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber on Alonso at Monaco 2005, slammed into the side of him, Alonso short cutted the Swimming Pool and still lost out!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Oct 2006, 09:28 (Ref:1752502)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
some nice examples already and here's several more contenders:

GV on Arnoux (several times) Dijon '79
Senna on Wendlinger around outside of Craners, lap 1 Euro GP Donington 1993
JPM on Raikkonen, Hockenheim 2002
JPM on Schumi, Nurby 2003
Old 29 Oct 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1752505)   #11
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
That one was pretty bold and brave. Alonso on Michael at 130R last year is my favourite though - nobody thought you could overtake at that corner.
hate to burst your bubble but that pass was done on the straight before the turn. its not like they went side by side on the corner. i know james allen got very excited about it but it just wasnt what everyone said it was alonso took his normal line after passing michael on the straight.

michael and jacques at estoril was awesome, that is really is going around the outside . i know montioya has done alot of special overtakes but cant think of any right now.

Last edited by Kieran20; 29 Oct 2006 at 09:38.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 09:40 (Ref:1752512)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mansell was king of the overtakes - on Berger at Mexico in 1990 was sheer balls. His pass at Senna at the Hungaroring in 1989 was pure timing. On Piquet at Silverstone at 1987 was all about set-up.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1752530)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe that what people love to see are overtaking moves made on the best drivers, such as on Senna, Schumacher, Prost, etc.

And hence, moves on Schumacher are often just claimed "best". Some of which are good, some of which are made to sound better it was. IMO, if i were to choose one best move from each of MS's rivals, and rank them in order of what i think are good, it would be:

1) Villeneuve on MS in Estoril
- The Renault V10 has the edge in power and traction, and JV used good use of it to overcome the long right hander from the outside. Good for trying
2) Mika on MS/Zonta in Spa
- Mika was held up for quite a few laps from MS, who is fighting a struggling set of tyres. The opportunity came when Zonta took middle ground, Michael went left...and Mika's quick thinking...took the right..
3) JPM on MS in Brazil
- JPM manage to get a tow down the straights on the restart with BMW's horsepower advantage, and although was still abit far back, took a lunge. MS had to take avoidance moves, but still a good attempt with JPM having nothing to lose.
4) Alonso on MS in Japan
- Although MS managed to hold on to Alonso for quite many laps, the Renault is that much faster you know it's going to happen sooner or later. MS knew there's little he could do but just take the inside lane, and with a tow, Alonso is past. And by the way, it's really just slipstream plus outdragging the Ferrari..the move is over before 130R.

But of course, giving other drivers credit, i think moves such as Kimi on Fisichella on Japan was as good if not better, because Kimi made a move with a car stuck with a low speed and it's a move for the lead. Michael's move on Fisichella and Kimi were decently good, and Kimi and Button iirc did have a good duel in Germany too.

In fact there were quite a few good moves further down the pack, but often not noticed. And i believe a judgement of how good a move is not only consist on the parity of drivers skills, but also a parity of equipment.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1752533)   #14
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
GV on Arnoux (several times) Dijon '79
That really was the lap de la lap Chunterer....good one.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 13:10 (Ref:1752707)   #15
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1manoz
Mansell was king of the overtakes - on Berger at Mexico in 1990 was sheer balls. His pass at Senna at the Hungaroring in 1989 was pure timing. On Piquet at Silverstone at 1987 was all about set-up.
You have mentioned a couple of Mansell's best overtakes.
Passing Senna, both passing Johanssen in Hungary 89
The Piquet one you could see NM looking one way each lap, then makes his move, sells the dummy and passes on the outside of Stowe. Magic.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:19 (Ref:1752769)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Piquet on Senna, Hungary 1986.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 14:29 (Ref:1752777)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great move, opposite lock, around the outside and Piquet still kept it together!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1752839)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unforgettable. And it has detonated the war between the two, declared enemies ever since.
Old 29 Oct 2006, 17:24 (Ref:1752851)   #19
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Found it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHdItAr2Ssw

Quite like it - inside didn't work, lets try the outside!
Old 29 Oct 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1752896)   #20
jnr blue 91
Rookie

United Kingdom
jnr blue 91 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that was one owsome slide he had though,amazing
Old 30 Oct 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1753444)   #21
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
Alienman_69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with the one Piquet on Senna, Hungary 1986. There are other very nice overtakes moves along the years but for me that is the best ever, looked like Piquet had a hand break.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 11:15 (Ref:1753470)   #22
Red Emperor
Rookie

Red Emperor has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Every overtaking manouver on the Red Baron in the "best", The same manouvre on other driver would be unnoticed and soon forgotten but that`s the way things are. But i think that Mika overtaking in Spa 200o was really fabulous.
So i will give a few overtaking manouvers from Schumacher from memory

Schumacher on Senna (Kaylami, Silverstone and France 1993)
Schumacher on Alesi (Nurburgring 1995)
Schumacher on Berger (Mexico 1992)
Schumacher on Prost (SPA 1993)
Schumacher on Hill (Portugal 1995)
Schumacher on Mika (Nurburgring 2000)
Schumacher on Montoya (Silverstone and Melbourne 2002)
Schumacher on Alonso (China 2006)
Schumacher on Kimi (Brasil 2006)
Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1753521)   #23
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
...i think moves such as Kimi on Fisichella on Japan was as good if not better, because Kimi made a move with a car stuck with a low speed and it's a move for the lead.
I agree. This one has been much under-rated because of the Alonso move on Schumacher at 130R, which was actually on the straight.

I have it on good authority that Kimi actually went into Turn 1 on that lap 15km/h faster than at any other time in the race. Presumably he got a mega tow from from Fisico, but even so...
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1753551)   #24
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna, 93' Donington (in the wet), fighting his way through the field in the opening few laps.

Stuff of legend!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1753563)   #25
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best move I've seen in a good while was our own Mr Green on the mad Paddy priest